Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage brokers

Options
  • 14-07-2009 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hi. i am after getting mortgage approval from my bank recently and i would also be intrested in seeing what kind of a mortage a broker would get me.... i live in cork city and was wondering if there are any charges that i would have to pay a broker or do they get paid from the bank for getting them a new customer.......any info would be a great help please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

you could give your local broker a ring and ask.

normally there is no fee, they make they're money from the banks in most cases.

but ring yours to see how he operates.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try mortgages.ie,we found them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Skip the broker, go directly to the banks. You'll need a folder full of your documentation - they all want the same stuff, and make an appointment in each of the banks. I got offered more than the broker got for me, by two of the banks. There's also one bank/building society - can't remember which offhand - which won't deal with brokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭annon123

To be honest if you can get a good deal from a broker, go with them... i recently went directly with ebs for my mortgage thinging i would cut out the middle man. Well i can tell you here and now if i was to do it again,i wouldnt!!
    Oh my god talk about giving me the run around. About 3 or 4 different people took on my application at different stages and in the process managed to lose half the information i sent in, resulting in me resending things again. At least a broker usually deals with the one person and it usually goes a lot smoother.
    now saying that i really could have been incredibly unlucky with the numpties that were dealing with my application so perhaps take the other peoples advice on board too.
    best of luck with your application

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you will find that there has been a changed dynamic. The banks are under pressure - the lending rules are tighter and they need to do more checking to make sure they don't get stung with dud borrowers or properties. While in the past it could have been argued that there was a cost to the bank of selling mortgages themselves, they might be looking at that as a part of salary as opposed to any extra cost now.

Consider going both routes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement