Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotus 1-2-3

• 14-07-2009 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭

Am working in an office and they are using Lotus as their spreadsheet application. I think its a 1998 version. I haven’t used Lotus spreadsheets in years. Should I get them to move to Excel or maybe just use symphony? I don't think leaving them use Lotus is an option as it will become obsolete in terms of training new people etc.:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

If it's a small company it's usually more hassle then it's worth to switch over. If it was something big that needs to adapt and change or has a lot of staff then consider moving over.
    Open office is one way to do it although it can be a little complicated in it's features and options at times. If you do go with it make sure you've got it to auto-save as office format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

wolfric wrote: »
    If it's a small company it's usually more hassle then it's worth to switch over. If it was something big that needs to adapt and change or has a lot of staff then consider moving over.
    Open office is one way to do it although it can be a little complicated in it's features and options at times. If you do go with it make sure you've got it to auto-save as office format.

Thanks Wolf-Would Excel be the way to go?Its a small dept in a bigger organisation with the rest of the org using MS Excel.

Do you need it? Is it going to save time and money to make up for its cost (assuming you want to buy excel).
    Is it worth time/effort to upgrade to an alternative? After that its' more of a judgement call rather then a tech question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

wolfric wrote: »
    Do you need it? Is it going to save time and money to make up for its cost (assuming you want to buy excel).
    Is it worth time/effort to upgrade to an alternative? After that its' more of a judgement call rather then a tech question.

I hear you. Certainly in the short term it makes more sense not to change but I think in the future new employees will more than likely be excel savy.

Is it difficult to convert spreadsheets to excel?

It shouldn't but you tell me. You're the one with the old software. Grab an old file and try import it with excel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

what do they use it for / how many features do they use ?

but make sure they have licenses otherwise they will have to change

Advertisement