Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S compensation guidelines

Options
  • 14-07-2009 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All,

I recently purchased some fishcakes from M&S Liffey Valley. In the middle of eating one of them i found what i thought was a bone. I nearly choked on the damn thing. Anyway, on closer inspection i found it was actually quiet a large piece of wood. It had blue dye along the side of it which probably meant it was a piece off a pallet. I rang the store the next morning and informed them. They said i needed to come in the the "foreign body" and they would send it back to england and take it from there.
    The reason i'm posting this is because i'm really peed off about their response. They sent me a letter saying it was most probable it was a piece of pallet as the raw matierals for this product are stored on blue coloured pallets.They basically admitted liability for this. They were very sorry and enclosed a £10 gift card. Yes £10 !!!!!!!!. I was totally disgusted. My eight year old son ate the other fish cake and it could just as easily been him that found the piece of wood in his mouth. I rang their customer support in England,spoke to a manager ,who said it was in their guidelines to send £10 giftcards and nothing else.
    He offered me another £10 and said that was even against the rules. I told him i was going to take it further and he said fair enough.

Anyone any ideas on how to deal with this one???????:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So they apologized and gave you £10 (actually offered a total of £20), how much did the fishcakes cost you....did they also refund the cost of the fishcake?

What else do you want?
    M&S have acted appropriately here and you just come across as chasing them for money because of "what could have happened!!!", thing is it didn't happen so why should they compensate you for a hypothetical problem?

The customer service rep/manager you spoke to was spot on in my books,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

md12 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I recently purchased some fishcakes from M&S Liffey Valley. In the middle of eating one of them i found what i thought was a bone. I nearly choked on the damn thing. Anyway, on closer inspection i found it was actually quiet a large piece of wood. It had blue dye along the side of it which probably meant it was a piece off a pallet. I rang the store the next morning and informed them. They said i needed to come in the the "foreign body" and they would send it back to england and take it from there.
    The reason i'm posting this is because i'm really peed off about their response. They sent me a letter saying it was most probable it was a piece of pallet as the raw matierals for this product are stored on blue coloured pallets.They basically admitted liability for this. They were very sorry and enclosed a £10 gift card. Yes £10 !!!!!!!!. I was totally disgusted. My eight year old son ate the other fish cake and it could just as easily been him that found the piece of wood in his mouth. I rang their customer support in England,spoke to a manager ,who said it was in their guidelines to send £10 giftcards and nothing else.
    He offered me another £10 and said that was even against the rules. I told him i was going to take it further and he said fair enough.

Anyone any ideas on how to deal with this one???????:mad:
    Hi,

"could just as easily been him that found the piece of wood in his mouth."

Guess what - he didn't. Thank God and move on. Expecting compensation on the basis of things that didn't happen is pretty retarded - wouldn't you agree?

The compensation culture is Ireland is a joke - there was a lovely thread on some man who had rotten beans that his father might have eaten but didn't and he was told to f right off. Unfortunately pal I think the same advice will be given to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

SQDD wrote: »
    The compensation culture is Ireland is a joke - there was a lovely thread on some man who had rotten beans that his father might have eaten but didn't and he was told to f right off. Unfortunately pal I think the same advice will be given to you.
    That was the thread coming to mind reading the post as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 md12

its not about the compensation. What i forgot to say was i asked M&sS to give me a list of all the other products packaged at this plant, so as i could avoid them in the future. If bits of pallets can get into the products then i'm sure a lot of other stuff does aswell. They supplied me with contaminated food. Am i to sit back and say its fine and dandy,take my £10 and and disappear. What about sticking up for your consumer rights. I don't want any compensation from this company,however i don't think the outcome was fair,they should be held accountable. I know nobody got hurt but if ,god forbid, one of your own family choked on a foreign body inside a product,what posts would you write then???????????????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I hope you never eat out at a resturant/McD etc. if you are afraid of foreign objects...

Anyway as far as your consumer rights, care to point out which once where broken and not meet with their response? Clearly since they where "broken" you have to know the exact law they broke and did not properly meet in their reponse to you after all. After all you are not seriously suggesting that the fact you felt unhappy of the outcome is some how a breach of them I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

md12 wrote: »
    its not about the compensation. What i forgot to say was i asked M&sS to give me a list of all the other products packaged at this plant, so as i could avoid them in the future. If bits of pallets can get into the products then i'm sure a lot of other stuff does aswell.

The same can be said for ANY product from ANY supplier, there could be objects in anything you buy! Best to grow your own food.
    Am i to sit back and say its fine and dandy,take my £10 and and disappear.

But its not about the money, so the £10 doesn't matter to you right??
    They gave you an apology and you can be sure they have taken appropriate action with their supplier.
    What about sticking up for your consumer rights. I don't want any compensation from this company,however i don't think the outcome was fair,they should be held accountable.

There are agency's both in Ireland and the UK that monitor how products are made, if its not about the money then why are you pissed they only gave you £10? How does the money you get benefit other consumers and shows that you are standing up for other people? :rolleyes:

Its useless trying to backtrack now about the lack of money you got off M&S and how pissed off it made you, its clear as day from the first post that it caused you to be pissed off.
    I know nobody got hurt but if ,god forbid, one of your own family choked on a foreign body inside a product,what posts would you write then???????????????

What if you had been eating the item in question while driving on the M50 and you caused a 50 car crash because you started choking?...what if...what if....what if :rolleyes:

These things didn't happen so what if situations are pointless, stick with the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

So what exactly did you want them to do?

What in your opinion is needed to close off this matter?

Most people would be happy to get an apology and a gift voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

didnt you say they admitted liability? and they apologised and gave you a gift card?
    therefore they have accepted responsibility, apologised for it and offered compensation. is this not what you want?
    do you want them to give you more?
    theres always a chance that you can find stuff in your food, bits of pallets included, in any plant. human error and all that. just be happy that they apologised. if you really need to go further send them a letter expressing your concerns but i wouldnt expect much to come of it since they've already resolved the issue.

Advertisement