Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should replace O'Briens?

Options
  • 14-07-2009 11:27am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on who should replace the O'Briens in Health Sciences if the company gets wound up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I'm not fussy about who replaces them I just want cheap food!

But a Subway wouldn't be too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I'm not fussy about who replaces them I just want cheap food!

But a Subway wouldn't be too bad

Fairly unhealthy AFAIK, you might as well have a McDonalds

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Wouldn't mind (another) Kylemore-operated place myself. Especially if they did a mix of fresh sandwiches and other food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I like "unhealthy". MacDondalds maybe, KFC or Eddie Rockets etc. I could do with that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IxM

Bagle Bar, Complete Lack Of Them In Dublin Like :p:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Preusse wrote: »
    I like "unhealthy". MacDondalds maybe, KFC or Eddie Rockets etc. I could do with that. :D

Awww Eddie Rockets. Worth the extra cost. They would undoubtedly have student deals though

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

As most of my friends cite as their religion on Facebook:

'Anything with good tea'.

I wanna see a place that sells a bigger portion than the Starbucks Venti.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Awww Eddie Rockets. Worth the extra cost. They would undoubtedly have student deals though

Yes, give me a pot of chili any day. ;) And you probably get more options for a hot savoury breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I hope O'Briens isn't closed in the upcoming cuts. Don't see how it could, plenty of money made there. Although if the company goes bust then I would like to see BB's take over. Nice coffee, fresh muffins and decent rolls/paninis. Too bad they're not made in front of you like O'Briens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

McDonalds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Something healthy and inexpensive. There's enough junk food and ripoff prices on campus already. I also think it would be good to have somewhere with some good veg*n options, trying to eat healthily in UCD as a veggie is rather tough! (I'm not veggie any more, but still enjoy good veggie food)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Stringfellows, nuff sed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

supermacs

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

It's simple.

Tesco Express..open 24 hours..never heard of an university with it's own supermarket.

GobBass wrote: »
    .never heard of an university with it's own supermarket.

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Subway without a doubt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

karlog wrote: »
    supermacs

Supermacs is for culchies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

My ideal would be a Sushi place. A full restaurant wouldn't make enough money, so just somewhere to get fresh Sushi, soups, maybe even a Bentō box?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

dont take away obrien!!!med students need the ridiculous long queue to get an expensive sandwich during lunch break to show us their intelligence!!:D

seriously tho,why would an obrien doing in there is still a mystery to me.

anything is cheap and make my tummy full is good enough:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

bnt wrote: »
    My ideal would be a Sushi place. A full restaurant wouldn't make enough money, so just somewhere to get fresh Sushi, soups, maybe even a Bentō box?

.............no :) that'd be a terrible idea, god knows how much freakin' bento boxes would cost,

subway all the way. i'm actually in love with the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

Londis, weekly madness rolls = awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Supermacs is great if you want to have dysentery, awful food I don't know why it's still in business. Personally, a place with decent breakfast rolls and tea would be great, not even a franchise just a place you can get moderately priced rolls, sandwiches and tea after that I don't care. If O'Briens does go, it will be a sad day for lovers of the tripple decker.*

*wipes a tearful eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

El Siglo wrote: »
    Supermacs is great if you want to have dysentery, awful food I don't know why it's still in business. Personally, a place with decent breakfast rolls and tea would be great, not even a franchise just a place you can get moderately priced rolls, sandwiches and tea after that I don't care. If O'Briens does go, it will be a sad day for lovers of the tripple decker.*

*wipes away a tear from an eye.

That triple decker is something else...... so nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

El Siglo wrote: »

*wipes a tearful eye.

café infusion aka "rollies" - underneath the main restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

elgriff wrote: »
    café infusion aka "rollies" - underneath the main restaurant

It's okay I suppose, does the job at lunch time along with the student bar rolls, but I hate the paper the said items are wrapped up in, I just don't like it! Truth be told, I'm happier with the slightly surly Eastern European love and attention put into my rolls, seriously they're so efficient it's like watching a robot! Whatever replaces O'Briens, it had better not be subsidised by the SU, because it'll no doubt be awful, think about it; a cold €3 'I can't believe it's not chicken' roll from the SU shop versus a chicken roll from centra/spar/londis etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    .............no :) that'd be a terrible idea, god knows how much freakin' bento boxes would cost,
    Yeah, but only because Sushi is considered posh here. It doesn't have to be expensive.

I was thinking "lunchbox bentō", not the big trays they serve in restaurants. It doesn't even have to be contain fish - could be a Donburi (rice + whatever is going that day). Still, this is Ireland after all, I'm not seriously expecting anyone to make an effort or take a risk.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Are they definitely leaving? According to the news it's the head office franchise operators that are in trouble, not the individual shops.

What would happen if O'Briens does go bust, would it revert to being just another sandwich bar?

I'd vote 911 purely for their superior queue management skills ;)

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Are they definitely leaving? According to the news it's the head office franchise operators that are in trouble, not the individual shops.

What would happen if O'Briens does go bust, would it revert to being just another sandwich bar?

I'd vote 911 purely for their superior queue management skills ;)

They're not gonna go bust, they're just closing down the lost making stores (about 22 I think) which I doubt UCD is one of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

A Chipper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 marcos172

Epicurean Food Hall! Those northsiders have had one up on us for too long :mad:

Advertisement