Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eye care

• 14-07-2009 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I find after a few hours with my eye shoved up to the viewfinder I can start getting a bit uncomfortable as my eye tires out a bit and I need to rest it. I'm just a hobbyist, so don't spend loads of hours each day looking at the world through a couple of sq cm. Anybody else find this?
    How do the folk who are full-time at it work with that? Does anybody have any sort of eye-care regime? Regular eye-tests and such?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I have glasses, its a pain in the rectum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Tallon wrote: »

Erm, I'm no optician, but I have a feeling that's not the part of the anatomy glasses are designed for, no wonder you have a pain :eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Oh for crying out loud Tallon, how many times do we have to repeat this ? Glasses go on your NOSE. Sheesh.

But yes, I find my eyes get quite strained sometimes after being jammed up against the viewfinder. It makes a difference which camera though. My F4 which has a gigantic bright 100% viewfinder doesn't give me anywhere near as much trouble as my FE-2 or F100, they seem a little more pokey. I don't know how you cropped body digital types actually get on. I looked through some dslr viewfinder at some point and it was like looking down a long dark tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I thought my digital camera had an OK viewfinder, ...........until I looked thru a 35mm film camera, wowee what a difference. Its like comparing a 15 inch monitor to a 40 inch widescreen TV :eek::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I used to find that the sight from my left eye (the one closed), becomes blurred after a long session. So I started shooting with both eyes open. It took a while to get used to though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

oshead wrote: »
    I used to find that the sight from my left eye (the one closed), becomes blurred after a long session. So I started shooting with both eyes open. It took a while to get used to though.

Same here
    Closed eye gets blurred after a while
    Have started shooting with both eyes open, still trying to get used to it

BH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I thought my digital camera had an OK viewfinder, ...........until I looked thru a 35mm film camera, wowee what a difference. Its like comparing a 15 inch monitor to a 40 inch widescreen TV :eek::p

The E-510 is fairly small tbf, I have an E-410 (which I don't use much since getting the E-620) and it's the same size viewfinder. When I'm using it I have no problems but when I switch to a 35mm camera my eyes do feel a lot more refreshed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm another speccy, but I don't find too much of a problem with my eyes after, I've sort of settled with not putting my eye right up to the viewfinder, which means I can't see the display at the bottom, but I can see the shot in focus, and I'm happy with that. I know my settings anyways.

I must say though, there's nothing like going back to a medium format waist level viewfinder after a week through a 35mm DSLR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

You must be wearing them wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭SaturnV

I went through a stage of very bad eyestrain from the viewfinder, and everything through it looked kind of... funny.

Turns out I had accidentally shoved the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder... Not my finest hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

An elderly photographer for the newspaper my girlfriend works for had to have surgery on his eyelids twice due to ingrown eyelashes from years of looking through viewfinders. They were just curling back on themselves from being pushed up to the viewfinder.

Advertisement