Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant about the cost of Meteor WAP charges

• 14-07-2009 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hope it's ok to rant here

I recently changed from Meteor talk 300 to talk 60 and asked the lady on the phone to highlight the major differences in the prices. She directed me to the website and prices for texts/calls were pretty clear.

Somewhere else on the meteor.ie website lists the prices for Internet.
    The price for WAP was
    Price per Kb*
    Meteor Mobile Internet branded pages = 0c
    All Other usage = 2c
    *1,024 kB = 1MB
    1MB = Approximately 10 Internet web pages or 40 made-for-mobile pages

Being far from a technical genius, this didn't mean much to me and on my previous price plan I was charged very little for the internet. So I went on the internet a few days ago for 22.5 minutes, and i was charged €22.50!!!

Is it just me, or is this 1) a ridiculous price to charge for the internet and 2) a very sneaky way to charge people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

maybeso wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to rant here

I recently changed from Meteor talk 300 to talk 60 and asked the lady on the phone to highlight the major differences in the prices. She directed me to the website and prices for texts/calls were pretty clear.

Somewhere else on the meteor.ie website lists the prices for Internet.
    The price for WAP was
    Price per Kb*
    Meteor Mobile Internet branded pages = 0c
    All Other usage = 2c
    *1,024 kB = 1MB
    1MB = Approximately 10 Internet web pages or 40 made-for-mobile pages

Being far from a technical genius, this didn't mean much to me and on my previous price plan I was charged very little for the internet. So I went on the internet a few days ago for 22.5 minutes, and i was charged €22.50!!!

Is it just me, or is this 1) a ridiculous price to charge for the internet and 2) a very sneaky way to charge people?
    They don't charge per minute. The charge 2c a KB - you downloaded 1125KB (or 1.125MB). Your better off getting a Data Plan, it's €10 for 250MB a month. If you were with PAYG, you can get 50MB for 99c but if you go over that limit in a day, the 2c a KB starts again.

PS: All data charges in Ireland are ridiculous, it should all be limited to a certain price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

There are two internet add-ons which are very available and it even says it at the top of the Meteor Mobile Internet wap page. I mean ranting about this when you didn't even research it beforehand is a bit stupid. Anyway, get yourself an add on if you'd like to access the internet on your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Adro947 wrote: »
    There are two internet add-ons which are very available and it even says it at the top of the Meteor Mobile Internet wap page. I mean ranting about this when you didn't even research it beforehand is a bit stupid. Anyway, get yourself an add on if you'd like to access the internet on your phone.

whether or not he read anything before he is still entitled to rant - 2c is a ridiculous price to pay for a kilobyte on a mobile phone network. its like selling petrol for 100 euro per litre, but worse because prepaid users don't get ripped off this much. only 3 has a half-decent price per mb outside of a bundle. only on 3 can you use mobile email without a bundle and not get ripped off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

towel401 wrote: »
    whether or not he read anything before he is still entitled to rant - 2c is a ridiculous price to pay for a kilobyte on a mobile phone network. its like selling petrol for 100 euro per litre, but worse because prepaid users don't get ripped off this much. only 3 has a half-decent price per mb outside of a bundle. only on 3 can you use mobile email without a bundle and not get ripped off

3's out of bundle price is 49c per MB. On the vodafone ISP access point it's 19c per MB ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 maybeso

Thanks for the replies. And yes I did research it, by asking the customer service person and looking on their website. What else was I to do!

But even though I am now armed with all the information, I still think it's an unclear way of advertising their charges for this. How is one supposed to know they are using 2Kb while on the internet on their phone??

So I agree the price should be limited, or else it should be highlighted to a person when they make enquiries about it so that a person who does not know what a Kb is will stay clear from using the internet in the first place.

Thanks for suggestions and tips on other networks

• Advertisement
Advertisement