Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing First Posts

Options

Comments

Grammar nazi!:pac:

But yah, it'd be nice to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm afraid this is incorrect Ron.

Where the singular word ends in an s, you still add 's, so "seamus's posts" is the correct form.

s' is reserved only for instances of plural possession, so where myself and sceptre are in the equation you would say "the seamus' posts". Or the "The girls' shoes" and so on and so forth.

This is of course a contentious issue and is a matter of style rather than correct grammar. I prefer 's because it's more uniform. Special cases are dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

seamus wrote: »
    I'm afraid this is incorrect Ron.

Where the singular word ends in an s, you still add 's, so "seamus's posts" is the correct form.

s' is reserved only for instances of plural possession, so where myself and sceptre are in the equation you would say "the seamus' posts". Or the "The girls' shoes" and so on and so forth.

Really?

Oops. I always thought it was James' post and Carl's post.

Yep, you're definitely correct: http://www.stjames.ie/

Ignore what I said. Still a great feature though.

As far as I know seamus, it's a matter of preference?

I've seen it written in numerous places that both seamus's and seamus' are correct (for singular). I'm not exactly sure, though.

Besides, I've always thought that s' is neater looking than s's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

As far as I know seamus, it's a matter of preference?

I've seen it written in numerous places that both seamus's and seamus' are correct (for singular). I'm not exactly sure, though.

Besides, I've always thought that s' is neater looking than s's.

Yeah, I'd agree with you. That's why I initially noticed it.

If St. James's hospital write it that way though, who are we to argue?

EDIT: From wikipedia.
    "Many respected sources have required that practically all singular nouns, including those ending with a sibilant sound, have possessive forms with an extra s after the apostrophe. Examples include the Modern Language Association and The Economist.[11] Such sources would demand possessive singulars like these: Senator Jones's umbrella; Mephistopheles's cat. On the other hand, some modern writers omit the extra s in all cases, and Chicago Manual of Style allows this as an "alternative practice".[12] Generally, Chicago Manual of Style is in line with the majority of current guides, and recommends the traditional practice but provides for several exceptions to accommodate spoken usage, including the omission of the extra s after a polysyllabic word ending in a sibilant.[13]

• Advertisement

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd agree with you. That's why I initially noticed it.

If St. James's hospital write it that way though, who are we to argue?

That's a good point.

Actually, I think this is a case for Spell Czechs! It's about time a few thread was posted in that forum...

Edit: I think that the s's is actually the more correct form from reading a few articles just there. Looks like you were right seamus!

What an interesting Development thread this has turned out to be.:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I don't have permission to view my first post.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Jonathan wrote: »
    I don't have permission to view my first post.. :confused:

It's in the old "For Sale" section. Nothing embarrassing.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement