Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crystallised flower petals

Options
  • 14-07-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

Lots of recipes kicking around t'interweb for crystallised flower petals - roses, violets etc. Anyone ever tried to make these? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Rachel Allen made these last week to put on top of a yummy carrot cake. Might be on the rte.ie website. I think she used an egg white and some sugar and left them somewhere warm for 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Just made Rachel Allens carrot cake and have a window box full of those cute tiny pansies so I will give these a go tonight and let you know how they turn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Are pansies edible?

Well I'll know for sure tomorrow :D

Quick google says yes!

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/edibleflowers.html

Yes - course they are - they're related to violets. Another list of edible flowers here

http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

• Advertisement

Went home last night to find my pansies had a greenfly infestation so didn't chance using the flowers, also had to spray them so won't be able to use them at all now I'm guessing :(

Crystallised greenfly:eek: Too fiddly.

They'll be crystallised after the amount of pesticide I sprayed on them last night, that's for sure!

I hate the buggers, there's loads on my herbs too but I obviously can't spray them :(

Advertisement