Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable BB

Options
  • 14-07-2009 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Have had eircom for ages but with their BB crashing last night and again last week I reckon I should change, but am I right in thinking Ill just be getting the same product, but paying someone else for it?

Play online poker so obv its vital that the connection is reliable. Saying that, last night poker stars was working when the rest of the internet was down, any reason why this would be?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Have had eircom for ages but with their BB crashing last night and again last week I reckon I should change, but am I right in thinking Ill just be getting the same product, but paying someone else for it?

Play online poker so obv its vital that the connection is reliable. Saying that, last night poker stars was working when the rest of the internet was down, any reason why this would be?

Thanks
    It was just their DNS servers which is easily fixed using OpenDNS. Eircom are reliable but sure it's up to you.

Poker would have been working for the same reason, it connects directly to the IP so no need for a DNS lookup.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Personally I would recommend UPC or BT Ireland however it is really up to yourself. If the only option for you if a bitstream package then go with whichever company you feel comfortable with.

Thanks
    This program more than likely connects directly to the IP address it needs and does not go through the DNS Server. Due to this it did not suffer the same problems as programs which rely on the DNS server matching the domain with an IP address.

The internet was not down it was only the DNS server.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Been with Imagine for broadband & phone for over a year. Got the basic 1 meg broadband. Very happy with pricing (compared to eircom) & have had no issues since it was set up.

Did a speed check earlier (I think this is good)
    517098780.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

No ISP is reliable in this country. Go for one thats cheap but most important of all has good customer service ie. not BT :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Isaac702 wrote: »
    Personally I would recommend UPC or BT Ireland however it is really up to yourself. If the only option for you if a bitstream package then go with whichever company you feel comfortable with.

This program more than likely connects directly to the IP address it needs and does not go through the DNS Server. Due to this it did not suffer the same problems as programs which rely on the DNS server matching the domain with an IP address.

The internet was not down it was only the DNS server.

Is bitstream what I have now? Dont think I can get clearwire and Irish Broadband, tried before unsuccessfully.

On the 3mb package, are these figures good:
    517288876.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll vouch for digiweb if you can get it. Never had a connection issue apart from one or two very stormy evenings, and even then only for a short period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mike65 wrote: »
    I'll vouch for digiweb if you can get it. Never had a connection issue apart from one or two very stormy evenings, and even then only for a short period.

I had Digiweb Metro[phone and 1Mb internet] for almost 3 years, until recently my connection was dropping on/off most evenings.
    Called support and they said it would take a service call. Engineer called out and tested the signal, he said it had dropped significantly.

Engineer also stated that Digiweb had changed their frequency recently enough in Galway and that affected my signal.
    I had the Metro Lite package[don't think it's available any more], was only costing me 300 bucks a year.

I paid my subscription up front for the year and I'm still waiting on my refund to come through, after posting back the modem :mad:

The daft thing is I never had a problem with their service, seems they just wanna alienate some of their users who are on the receiving edge of their signal.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

It really all depends on where you live. We may be able to offer you something.

Advertisement