Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you purchased recently?

Options
  • 14-07-2009 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

So, there's no data out there for actual selling prices. If you bought recently how much less than the asking price did you pay? Where and when, and how did the offer process go? Wondering what the reality actually is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

A friend of mine bought a place on the outskirts of dublin. It was for sale at 310k and he bought it for 285k. Initial bid was 280k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Was "valued" the asking price or the actual valuation figure? I would have thought that the difference between asking and selling would have been more. Particularly in your friends case, it being Dublin/Dublin Commuter Area where (I've read) the larger falls are happening/expected to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

House for sale for 385 - Dublin

Offered 350 - they wanted 360 - sold for 355

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

really surprised the bids are so close to the asking.

especially on the outskirts of dub.

Yeah I know, but seems to be the same story when I'm talking to different people.

It is a pity that there is no info on how much houses are actually selling at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭greener&leaner

Are bids only going in on the lowest priced properties in the first place though?
    10% below asking price may be 30% below other house prices in the area.

The current asking prices also show a considerable drop over asking prices two or three years ago.

Yes greenerandleaner I agree with you there.

The house we purchased was a good price to begin with and we felt the sellers were being more realistic compared to other houses in the area.

Also, on the houses I've been watching on daft,there seems to be some houses withdrawn and they comeback on at a lower price and go sale agreed quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

It was the same for my friend. He felt the for sale price was reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Viewed a house recently. On at €190k. Asking price in Estate is €280k+. In excellent condition. Would have been €320k peak. Offered €160k. Haven't said no. So, if it goes through, it would be an actual 50% drop - maybe resembling potential 2010/2011 prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

Wicklow: Asking price €299,000, offer €260,000 bought for €265,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 wandiwar

Wicklow - Asking 345,000 - offered 250,000 - agreed at 265,000

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Carlow: asking price last 2008 295,000 bought last month 205,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Not me but my friend bought a 3 bed penthouse apartment for 245K in D13.

Wouldn't negotiate on the price but they had just dropped it from 290K to 245K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

tribulus wrote: »
    Not me but my friend bought a 3 bed penthouse apartment for 245K in D13.

Wouldn't negotiate on the price but they had just dropped it from 290K to 245K.

Penthouse or top floor?

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully if people buy they will come in here and let us know how they got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Bought a top floor, 2 bed (~800sq foot) in Dublin, South City Center for 225k. Right around St Pat's Cathedral (not opposite, just round the corner) - Offer accepted in March. It's taken a while, but due to get keys this day next week.

What was the asking on that, belmulletman?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

eman66 wrote: »
    What was the asking on that, belmulletman?

Asking was 225. Went to the wire with 3 others (4 inc. myself). Thought i got a good deal. Turns out was a repossession, and had it checked out and defo got good deal! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Brother was bidding for a two bedroom terraced house in the south Dublin city area.

Asking was €280,000 and he put in an opening bid of €220,000. Got into a bidding war, where the price went up to €245,000 which he was unwilling to match.

So yea, it looks like houses are selling at 10-20% below asking prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Eglinton wrote: »
    Penthouse or top floor?

Sorry, just checked the floor plans and there's an adjoining apartment so top floor as opposed to penthouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Co. Dublin, 3 bed semi, asking price 340k, agreed sale a couple of weeks ago for 310k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Co. Dublin, 3 bed semi, asking price 340k, agreed sale a couple of weeks ago for 310k.

Was 310k your first offer jeepers101 or did ye meet in the middle sort thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Just bought in South Co. Dublin,an ex council, end of terrace
    2 beds upstairs, large living room with extended dining area and kitchen
    2 Bathrooms, upstairs and downstairs
    small front room-spare bed/office
    South facing patio garden at the back, small garden in the front
    The brochure dated September 2008 said 450k
    There was an offer for 385 but the estate agent told us their finance went belly up.
    Its in pretty good nick, just some plaster skimming and new windows needed
    We paid 315K.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kingofthecastle

been trying to buy a place for the last 6 months. lot of people have unreal expectations of how much lower than the asking price thay can bid and expect to buy for. bid on an apartment in south dublin3 months ago, penthouse, asking price €375k and i bid €315, the esate agent didnt even bother to get back to me, still for sale tho.

recently bought 2 bed mid terrace in north wicklow with attic conversion adding a 3rd bedroom. asking price €335k, bought for €315.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Was 310k your first offer jeepers101 or did ye meet in the middle sort thing?

Ours was the second offer, previous bidder offered 300k and was refused. We offered 310k and were told they wouldn't go below 320k. Two days later we got a call to say they'd accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Mydaughter bought in Edenderry,new house ,four bedrooms,end house,appliances included,beds carpets etc(was showhouse).
    Last year 320k,asking 280k,bought for 210k,just moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

holly1 wrote: »
    Mydaughter bought in Edenderry,new house ,four bedrooms,end house,appliances included,beds carpets etc(was showhouse).
    Last year 320k,asking 280k,bought for 210k,just moved in.

Wow!:eek: Shape of things to come, I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

wandiwar wrote: »
    Wicklow - Asking 345,000 - offered 250,000 - agreed at 265,000

Thats an unbelievable drop from the asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

Jimbo wrote: »
    Thats an unbelievable drop from the asking price

IMO that is not an unbelievable drop at all, it represents a 23% drop on an asking price that could be anything in the range of 30% to 70% overpriced according to a lot of commentators. Despite the haircut the sellers may be breathing a sigh of relief now with the very real possibility they could be facing a number 1 in the future.

I know there are very few desirable (or at least formerly desirable) properties going with this much of a discount on asking prices at the moment but I think all that is about to change over the next couple of years.

btw in the spirit of the thread, cousin bought a house at 240k in mullingar couple of years ago sold at 160k recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Asking 465, selling price 440

found an old brochure for the estate when moving in and the houses 90sqft less were 440 in 2004

Advertisement