Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked Beans

Options
  • 14-07-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

I have recently refound my love for baked beans for lunch. I have taken to eating them now with some pepper and chilli sauce. There is now no going back to plain beans.

I would love to hear all your other suggestions to give them more oomph and flavour.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I open the lid almost all way, the pour the sauce out while holding the lid so the beans stay in. If I want rid of the sauce totally I will then add water and swish it around and pour it off again. Then I just add any old curry or chinese type sauce. I keep the sauce jar in the fridge so it is fully chilled upon opening, and cap it right away and refridgerate again to stop it going bad so soon.

Own brand beans are dirt cheap but the sauce is usually crap, the beans are usually OK. I also just drain kidney beans and add to sauces too.

While using normal sauce (not draining) I have added mustard which goes nice. And garlic. And of course simply curry powder, best leave it a while to fully absorb into the sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Riordan123

Beans and Toast!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

On toast with cheese melted on top. Or on toast with a poached egg on top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Curried beans is nice. Just get a jar of Pataks curry paste and stir in a spoon while heating the beans on the hob. Pataks do all different kind of curry pastes so you can mix it up. Something else which is really tasty is adding a nice dollop of Reggae Reggae sauce over beans. Spices them up really nicely. As mentioned above, soft poached eggs go really well with beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I get some chopped onion (finely) garlic and chilli and soften it in a little butter, then add in the beans and a dollop of ketchup....

some chilli pwder and generally whatever i have in to give it a kick of flavour
    yom yom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

so...
    Heinz or Bachelors?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm a Bachelors boy myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ZumGirl

Has to be Heinz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

For me it has to be Batchelors - straight from the fridge, I do not like warm/hot beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I find a dash of sesame oil on the top along with a pinch of curry powder and a good grind of the chilli mill works wonders. Long live the recession lunch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

My favourites are Branston and Lidl. The Lidl beans have a great bite. I think Lidl use haricot beans which are more popular on the Continent than whatever type the others use - I'm open to correction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

denat wrote: »
    My favourites are Branston and Lidl. The Lidl beans have a great bite. I think Lidl use haricot beans which are more popular on the Continent than whatever type the others use - I'm open to correction though.

Think they're pretty much all haricot beans, actually.

Bachelor's beans were verboten in my house. My Dad did a job in the factory years ago and said it was so filthy that nary a Bachelor's product ever darkened our door again. I'm sure it's different these days, but the embargo stuck.

Anyway, back on topic, I love a massive whack of Worcestershire sauce in my beans. Best ever hangover cure is to grill a big pile of hash browns, then upend a can of beans on them (with Lea & Perrins mixed in). Top the whole lot with the strongest cheddar you can find, and stick it all back under the grill til the cheese is bubbly.

Not something you'd want to be doing every week, for obvious calorific reasons, but when you've a nasty hangover there really is nothing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Thumpette wrote: »
    I get some chopped onion (finely) garlic and chilli and soften it in a little butter, then add in the beans and a dollop of ketchup....

some chilli pwder and generally whatever i have in to give it a kick of flavour
    yom yom

I think Ill be trying this lad for lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Batchelors taste a bit sweeter, I think. But I would happily eat both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Cut up some chorizo sausage, add.

Optional: Some cheese into the bowl and mix.

Nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

add a nice teaspoon of cajun spice in

or

just as you serve, stick chunks of cheese in so it melts and sprinkle with pepper and parika

or

bake them in a pot with some left over chunks of bacon or corned beef (real stuff - not packed/tinned)

or

bake them with a few halved cherry tomatoes and 2 eggs cracked in

damn i'm hungry now

edit- all of the above served with hot chunky toast and real butter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bachelors beans seems to be smaller and with a sweeter sauce than Heinz beans to me.

Thick hot toast, slatherd in real melting butter, Heinz beans, grated cheddar on tops..omg....drooling thinking of it..
    Oh, after a feed of drink fry some sausages, chop up and add to the above.
    Simple, calorterrific and gets the job done!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

To be heated in a small pot only. No microwaving!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Heinz used to sell baked bean pizza. that was tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

What else is great with beans apart from toast??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

you will need.

Beans
    Ketchup
    Garlic
    A Chili
    A small onion
    bacon lardons (just slice a few streaky rashers, same thing).
    1/2 cured cherizo sauahes (the smaller ones, obviously).

finely shop some onions, garlic, chilis.

on a moderately hot pan cook off some bacon lardons (small pieces) and when they are brown lower heat, add the onion, garlic and chili. Add some sliced cured cherizo and let it cook out for a few minutes so that the paprika and all the herby goodness spreads around.

Chuck the beans on top, give it all a good stir, tea spoon of ketchup, stirr again and leave it to cook on a low heat for about 10 mins, stirring every few minutes to make sure it doesnt catch.

Serve over some brown rice.

nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

To be heated in a small pot only. No microwaving!!!!

They taste so much nicer from the pot! My mother can't understand why I always cook them in the pot. She thinks they are the same from the microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

pog it wrote: »
    What else is great with beans apart from toast??

Baked spud. Yum. The contrast of the sauce and potato is great.

Like a healthier version of chips and tomato sauce! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cleansheets

Sugar free beans from Bachelors (diabetic in the house) but I've never been this creative with them - you have opened my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Heinz curry beans = NOM :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shionnach

chilli cheesy beans, yum, put beans in pot when they are heated add in a few lumps of chhese and some chilli powder and serve on toast, my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Think they're pretty much all haricot beans, actually.

Bachelor's beans were verboten in my house. My Dad did a job in the factory years ago and said it was so filthy that nary a Bachelor's product ever darkened our door again. I'm sure it's different these days, but the embargo stuck.

Anyway, back on topic, I love a massive whack of Worcestershire sauce in my beans. Best ever hangover cure is to grill a big pile of hash browns, then upend a can of beans on them (with Lea & Perrins mixed in). Top the whole lot with the strongest cheddar you can find, and stick it all back under the grill til the cheese is bubbly.

Not something you'd want to be doing every week, for obvious calorific reasons, but when you've a nasty hangover there really is nothing better.

This, but with toast instead of hash browns. Yours sounds nicer though :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

a festive recipe

christmas bean and turkey pies

heinz beans
    cooked turkey cut into small pieces
    2 tblespoons of cranberry sauce
    dash of Worcestershire sauce
    500g of shortcut pastry
    pepper

mix the beans, turkey, cranberry sauce, Worcestershire sauce and pepper together.

roll out pastry to the size of your bowl (leaving a bit over the sides for skrinkage.

place the filling into the pastry, cut out and place lids on top of the mixture

brush the top with egg white or milk

place a hole in the middle of the pie

bake in an oven at 180c / 350f for 35 minutes until golden brown

then eat

Advertisement