Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do the swans go?

• 14-07-2009 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi Guys. I was just wondering where the swans from the canals in dublin go in the summer months? I noticed they leave the canals and dont return again until the winter at which stage they have cygnets with them. are they breeding on inland lakes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are breeding at lakes, ponds, rivers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think we all know the real answer to this.

mike65 wrote: »
    I think we all know the real answer to this.

:confused: You lost me there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

>snip<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭Archeron

I seen a large family of swans just off the canal at Parkwest Business Park last Friday (got some nice pics too)
    Mother, father and about 7 little fuzzy guys. They seemed quite happy too as there were a few people feeding them bread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Our resident pair in the lake in UCD had seven cygnets this year; one up on last year. We are down to five at the moment.

Last year two survived to depart at winter sometime over the holiday break.

And OP, don't forget that in the winter we have whooper and bewicks swelling the numbers of swans on our canals and lakes and other waterways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Freethinker

Yes but the big flock on the grand canal, between portobello and dolphins barn disappears every year without fail. there is only a few straglers left, on pair of which seeems to nest near the barge pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

:confused: You lost me there!
    I see it got snipped. There is an urban myth in circulation, fanned by small minded xenophobic idiots,that ''foreigners''are killing the swans and eating them. Which as we all know is so much easier than say, stealing a sliced pan from tesco.

Swans always congregate in large numbers in Winter. Dundalk Bay can have a couple of hundred around the quays in Winter. None now, as they are elsewhere breeding but they'll be back! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I see it got snipped. There is an urban myth in circulation, fanned by small minded xenophobic idiots,that ''foreigners''are killing the swans and eating them. Which as we all know is so much easier than say, stealing a sliced pan from tesco.

Thank you for explaining in less angry terms than I would have.

However, this is the final word on the matter in this thread. I don't want it becoming an annex of Stormfront.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭Archeron

Back on topic, this is a pic of the family in Parkwest.

Altoghether now, AWWWWWW

:)

Advertisement