Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carburetor Problem

• 14-07-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hey all, new to the motorbike section.
    I recently got a 97 250cc yamaha zeal from a friend of mine for free as he was after buying a 250 hornet and I wanted to get a bike, Its not perfect but for a first bike its pretty good i think

Anywho, Its battery was dead as it was idle so I charged it, petrol in the tank had been lying idle in it for nearly 3 if not more months so I took off the petrol tank, emptied it and put in fresh petrol. Its not starting straight off but it will push start alright but its not running well and cuts out almost immediatly when left idle.
    Im 99% sure it a fuel problem judging by the sound of it, im no expert but i know a few bits about bikes.
    My question is would the old petrol that was in the tank have gotten dirty over time and caused the carb to become clogged. If So id like to clean it myself but would like advice on whats the best way about it.
    Have to head back to work so ill check in later and hopefully someone can help.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Go get yourself a Haynes manual for the bike. Worth their weight in gold, especially if its a fixer-upper ;)

It'll tell you how to clean the carbs, and also how to adjust idle speed so you should be sorted after that I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

Before you get carried away check everything in order - tank, tap, lines then carb.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

@ Kamikazi, good idea, cheers. Will get one. Have one for the car but didn't think of it for the bike.

@bladespin, the fuel seems to have no problem exiting the tank and there seems to be no problem with any of the pipes but when Im taking of the tank and working my way down ill check everything as I go incase it a smaller problem maybe.

Cheers lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Carbs could be gummed up or flooded. should be a pivot screw think thats what it called at the base of the carb. Swith off the flow from the tank to the carb and open this screw let out and old fuel and close it agin pretty simple. Like the guys have say have a look in the haynes manual for specifics last thing you want to do is try to fix a problem that isn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

sounds like your pilot jets blocked and or idle too low.

Haynes and a saturday to yourself will sort ya.

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Cheers lads, hopefully ill get the chance during the week to attack it. Must order the haynes for it now. Ill let ye know how I get on once im through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Haynes is god but be careful if you attack the carburetors they can be fiddly:O

Advertisement