Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill Island

Options
  • 14-07-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

Spending next week with the family in Achill.

Any upto date reports, tips , advice for beach/rock fishing up there this summer?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Can't comment authoritively on beach fishing, but I've caught pollack from a rock location on Achill while another angler closeby was catching wrasse.

This was maybe 15 years ago, but I'd imagine the same species will still be present. Forgive me for not remembering the exact location.

FWIW, I went on a charter boat trip while there and the species I remember being caught were mackerel (back when it was hard not to catch mackerel - I had to trim my girlfriend's feathers (don't be rude...) from 6 down to 3 because she was struggling everytime she dropped the line: she was catching 6 fish every time and my 9' Abu spinning rod with a Millionaire 6HM was bent more than quarter-circle), pollack, cod and red gurnard.

As a nice bonus, we saw a big fin whale maybe a mile from the boat - hung around at that distance for a few minutes. :D

If you posess and can take beach fishing gear with you, take that. Otherwise, spinning gear might get you by. Feathers & lures should yeild some success.

HTH,

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Rabble

Thanks for that Mark. Will be taking the beach caster and perhaps a nine footer.

Might try some float fishing if there are any good spots for that.

Advertisement