Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyre or Kennedy Square?

Options
  • 14-07-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

I'm a little confused now. It was called the Kennedy Square before, but as I was told city council changed the name into Eyre Square years ago. However it's still called Kennedy Park on nearly all online maps including Google Maps and Google Earth..

So what's the final official name of this square?

notitle.th.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I'm a little confused now. It was called the Kennedy Square before, but as I was told city council changed the name into Eyre Square years ago. However it's still called Kennedy Park on nearly all online maps including Google Maps and Google Earth..

So what's the final official name of this square?

Eyre Square is the whole area(Supermacs to Meyrick), where as John F. Kennedy Park is just the green area.

Where is Palace Grounds then? Or Palace Greens.. I can't remember

Where is Palace Grounds then? Or Palace Greens.. I can't remember

Eh, i think thats Tuam bro!

Eh, i think thats Tuam bro!

Are you sure? I remember hearing someone refer to some part of Eyre Square as Palace Gardens

Are you sure? I remember hearing someone refer to some part of Eyre Square as Palace Gardens

Mmmmm, interesting? Maybe that was the name pre-JFK coming to Galway. But the Eyre Square-esque place in Tuam is Palace Grounds/Fields/Green(i think, pretty sure though).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

Kennedy Park in Eyre Square

Something like Archbishop Ryan Park Merrion Square in Dublin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It shares both names equally, and can be properly referred to as either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

It would be called Eyre Square by 99.9% of people locally (I asked a hundred people at lunch time and one hesitated!) and whether they would even know where Kennedy Park was would be questionable (not asked by me)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Kennedy Park tag is just to make American tourist go "Ahhh...."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

nerophis wrote: »
    It would be called Eyre Square by 99.9% of people locally (I asked a hundred people at lunch time and one hesitated!) and whether they would even know where Kennedy Park was would be questionable (not asked by me)

I agree for the most part, but I would say Kennedy Park would be known by anyone people who has looked at an OS-type map of the area and furrowed their brow.
    I must call 'Shenanigans!' as I don't believe you asked 100 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

JustMary wrote: »
    The Kennedy Park tag is just to make American tourist go "Ahhh...."

An Stazí Bord Fáilte running around changing history again to GDP? The fiends!

Advertisement