Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 Wold Matchplay, Blackpool

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Double Top wrote: »
    the stand out players so far, painter (all round great, best i have seen him) and lewis (scoring well but finishing brilliant)

did taylor change his darts or just a different colour

osbourne,thornton and jones very disappointing

I think they are just a differant colour, Painter v Taylor on Wednesday should be great. Might put a few euro on Painter!:D

Tuesdays games

Hamilton v Anderson
    Part v Van der Voort
    Wade v Caven
    Baxter v Klaasen

Another tough night of predicting but I'll go for this!;)

I thought I had a single bet on Osborne to win outright for some reason but it's Anderson I have a bet on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Hamilton, Wade, Part and Baxter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Strange night of darts. I can only assume that a lot of the players are very nervous going into this tournament. In fairness it's a huge tournament, probably the second biggest behind the World Championships. Thornton was a bag of nerves from the start and really didn;t do himself justice. Even Taylor was nervous too. Osbourne just fell apart but fair play to Beaten, he scored well and of he can find the finishing touch he could surprise a few as he has been top class on the floor this year. Painter was quality, supposedly he is really happy with his new darts and he usually gives Taylor a game so looking forward to that. In fairness to Mardle he played well, he wa shis usual inconsistent self but he did have moments of quality and his finishing on D18 was brilliant. Eccles was rubbish though and never pushed him.

Good night of darts again tonight with some tough calls:

Hamilton v Anderson
    Part v Van der Voort
    Wade v Caven
    Baxter v Klaasen

It depends on how nervous Anderson is, if he relaxes he will win but Hamilton has a real chance of winning that. Part should have too much for VdV but again on his day VdV can beat anyone. Caven is a great up and coming player who will puch Wade but I think Wade's experience will win through. Baxter and Klaasen is the toughest to call but I will go for Ronnie as he loves this tournament and will want revenge for Klaasen beating him in Vegas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Oh and did anyone think it was VERY bad form from Sky that they didn't bother their arses to interview Steve Beaten after he won his game? It was a real kick in the teeth for Beaten who put in one of his best TV performaces for a while and took out many peoples dark horse tip for the title.

I suppose Sky needed more time to hype up Phil Taylor. Pathetic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭clivebaby

Hamilton v Anderson
    Part v Van der Voort
    Wade v Caven
    Baxter v Klaasen
    They are all hard games to call.I think Hamilton is a little more consistent.If Part is on his game he should win easily but can throw a bad game.Wade should have a bit too much for Caven.Baxter and Klaasen can go either way.

Osborne though is the puzzler, anyone else think that after he won two pro tour events and made the final of the UK Open, that the weight of expectation is getting to him now.

Two first round exits on TV since that final??

Osborne though is the puzzler, anyone else think that after he won two pro tour events and made the final of the UK Open, that the weight of expectation is getting to him now.

Two first round exits on TV since that final??

I just think with Osborne that the floor events really suit him and that's why he did so well at Bolton, Vegas and Blackpool are a very differant format to Bolton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Double Top wrote: »

did taylor change his darts or just a different colour

I thought the flights looked bigger :confused: maybe its just a trick of the eye due to colour change, but tried to watch carefully and they looked as if they were wider at back(nearly like a wing shape). I'll be watching again against Painter.
    Kingp35 wrote: »

Good night of darts again tonight with some tough calls:

Hamilton v Anderson
    Part v Van der Voort
    Wade v Caven
    Baxter v Klaasen

That would be same as myself.
    Oh and did anyone think it was VERY bad form from Sky that they didn't bother their arses to interview Steve Beaten after he won his game? It was a real kick in the teeth for Beaten who put in one of his best TV performaces for a while and took out many peoples dark horse tip for the title.

yeah I noticed that, started to wonder whether I had gone upstairs and missed it :eek: Who knows, maybe he didn't want to give interview...taking the Barney way out :D

Devastator wrote: »
    yeah I noticed that, started to wonder whether I had gone upstairs and missed it :eek: Who knows, maybe he didn't want to give interview...taking the Barney way out :D

That can't be it because I know that the players are contractually obliged to give an interview if Sky want it but Sky don't have to interview everyone. Maybe I am being a bit too harsh but I think everyone who wins their match deserves to be interviewed. I'm sure sponsors put a bit of money into Steve Beaten so he van play the Pro Tour and they are missing out on exposure by Beaten not being interviewed.

As for Osbourne, it's a strange one that he has lost in two first rounds in a row now. He is a very experienced Sportsman so it can;t be him thinking he is too good. He really was poor yesterday though and didn't score at all. Maybe rat is right and he is a better floor player. It takes a lot of mental concentration to play in a tournament like the Matchplay. You can see that so many of the players are very nervous going into it. Osbourne has a lot of improvement to do if he is to become the World No. One like he said in his interview before his game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

That can't be it because I know that the players are contractually obliged to give an interview if Sky want it but Sky don't have to interview everyone. Maybe I am being a bit too harsh but I think everyone who wins their match deserves to be interviewed. I'm sure sponsors put a bit of money into Steve Beaten so he van play the Pro Tour and they are missing out on exposure by Beaten not being interviewed.

didn't know about the contract obligations, but 100% agree on winners deserving an interview....especially a big underdog winning!

Ah, with the field as packed with quality the way it is, 16 excellent players are always going to go out. Nobody is criticising Thornton for getting knocked out at the hands of Taylor, even though he really should have won given the way Taylor played

Low 90 averages are excellent darts, Taylor has just raised fans expectations on all throwers now

I thought that was a great match to start the night, hopefully more to come tonight! Anderson started slow but blew Hamilton apart as the match went on!

Ah c'mon Sky where is Van der Voort's interview!:mad:Part would have had an interview if he won! Part was crap at best, a big shocker!:eek:

The Rocket is on fire, brilliant darts and Klaasen has no answer to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Great come back by klaasen great game :D

mixed up wrote: »
    Great come back by klaasen great game :D

Yes spot on, I don't want this to end, brilliant match!:D

What a match, best I've seen in a while!:D:D Well done Ronnie!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Brilliant game baxter done really well to finish off the game it could have went anyway best game of the night by a long way klaasen loosing 5-0 with a 97 average :eek:

Has anybody noticed the new commentator Rod Studd this week? I think he is doing a great job! Great name by the way, I'd say he's popular with the ladies!:D

• Advertisement

Good night of darts. Anderson took a couple of legs to get over the nerves but once he did he was brilliant. Hamilton played very well too and bar a couple of missed doubles it could have gone all the way. Anderson will be very happy with that though and now he plays Wade in Round 2 in an absolute cracker.

Part was awful, I have no idea what was wrong with him. I know he got to the semi-finals of Vegas but I really don't think those new flights are working for him. he is way too inconsistent. Fair play to VdV though, he scored well but his doubles were poor. he will really have to step it up in the next round. And yeah another player Sky didn't bother to interview!

Caven really suffered from nerves in the third match. He is a much better player than that and Wade beat him without ever really playing that well. I'm sure Caven will be a very disappointed man as Wade didn't hit a single 180 in the entire game.

The last match was just brilliant. Both natural players and just going for it. Ronnie was amazing in the first session and blew Klaasen away but fair play to Jelle for fighting back and it really could have gone either way. I'm delighted for Baxter, he is one of my favourite players and he never panicked when Klaasen was coming back. Yet again though it's missed doubles that let Klaasen down. He seems to be much better when he only has one dart at the double, when he has three he tends to miss. Match of the tournament so far and I hope Ronnie can do really well this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Good night of darts. Anderson took a couple of legs to get over the nerves but once he did he was brilliant. Hamilton played very well too and bar a couple of missed doubles it could have gone all the way. Anderson will be very happy with that though and now he plays Wade in Round 2 in an absolute cracker.

Part was awful, I have no idea what was wrong with him. I know he got to the semi-finals of Vegas but I really don't think those new flights are working for him. he is way too inconsistent. Fair play to VdV though, he scored well but his doubles were poor. he will really have to step it up in the next round. And yeah another player Sky didn't bother to interview!

Caven really suffered from nerves in the third match. He is a much better player than that and Wade beat him without ever really playing that well. I'm sure Caven will be a very disappointed man as Wade didn't hit a single 180 in the entire game.

The last match was just brilliant. Both natural players and just going for it. Ronnie was amazing in the first session and blew Klaasen away but fair play to Jelle for fighting back and it really could have gone either way. I'm delighted for Baxter, he is one of my favourite players and he never panicked when Klaasen was coming back. Yet again though it's missed doubles that let Klaasen down. He seems to be much better when he only has one dart at the double, when he has three he tends to miss. Match of the tournament so far and I hope Ronnie can do really well this week.

Part hasn't been playing well for a long time but he has really gone downhill lately. What i noticed last night was his darts were going very low in the 20s bed. Seems to have problems with the weight or something. He's a shadow of when he beat Taylor in 4 out of 5 tournaments around the time he won his 2nd World Championship.

None of the bleedin' streams will work on my work computer. Whoever invented firewalls is an asshole!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

None of the bleedin' streams will work on my work computer. Whoever invented firewalls is an asshole!

http://www.justin.tv/dart501/old

working fine for me. Tabern just won against Smith.

Super finishing from Tabern

Some scoring and finishing by Jenkins, that's a 10, 12 and 11 darter so far from him

It won't load for me, the chat room part load but the video won't. Very annoying. I'm following the games on the planetdarts live scoreboard. Looks like Terry Jenkins is on fire!

Some scoring and finishing by Jenkins, that's a 10, 12 and 11 darter so far from him

He said he needs the money as the car he and Pieman travel in broke down en-route to the tournament again!:D:D

I got the betfair stream to work so I am a happy camper although Priestley playing very badly so I might not be happy for much longer!

Ovens 4-1 up at the break with two breaks of throw.

Ovens wins 10-5. Priestley missed some doubles to keep giving Ovens legs but in fairness to ovens he took out some great checkouts and deserved the win. I'm very disappointed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

ratinakeg wrote: »
    He said he needs the money as the car he and Pieman travel in broke down en-route to the tournament again!:D:D

Probably suspension went :eek:;):D

Advertisement