Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom Hacking W@nkers!!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Get BT broadband or anyone but Eircon...

oh and open dns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Terry wrote: »
    The easiest way is just to go to 192.168.1.254 if you are using one of eircom's netopia routers.

Then follow the above.
    People, please do not link to any sites giving details on how to crack the eircom ssid thinger.

Tbh, boards.ie would be a link. It's been posted in the broadband forum that eircom routers default WEP key is based on the SSID. Everyone who has a eircom router and never changed their security options should now.

You are liable for usage on your network regardless of your ignorance of wifi security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Eircom have launched a new eSecurity product in response to these attacks. A quick example of how their Security works is attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Mike... wrote: »
    Get BT broadband or anyone but Eircon...

oh and open dns

BT :eek:

I had so much trouble with them, that I moved to eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Awwwww did someone miss out on a fap?

Dastardly Hackers' FapKill program :O

include <ifapstream>
    using namespace std;

int main()
    {
    int P0rn;
    int BoardsRant;

cout << "Access P0rn ";
    cin >> a;
    cout << "Hackers kill interwebs";
    cin >> b;

if(a < b)
    cout << "Fap furiously";
    else
    cout << "BoardsRant";

return 0;

}

(With apologies to programmers everywhere)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Dastardly Hackers' FapKill program :O

(With apologies to programmers everywhere)

sudo apt-get laid ffs

=p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

sudo apt-get laid ffs

=p

E: Couldn't find package laid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Tbh, boards.ie would be a link. It's been posted in the broadband forum that eircom routers default WEP key is based on the SSID. Everyone who has a eircom router and never changed their security options should now.

You are liable for usage on your network regardless of your ignorance of wifi security

This. Also there is software out there that can be used to watch the network you're on (eg after bypassing the security) to pick up usernames and passwords etc being submitted on the other machines on the network. It takes maybe half an hour to switch a router and a few computers over to wpa.
    At least eircom are shipping it as standard at last. I hope BT are too. They were just as guilty, ok they didn't give you an easy algorithm to calculate the wep key but they still used it and could be hacked in no time.

Edit- this is too serious for AH :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

hobochris wrote: »
    Cracker: a person who circumvents or breaks security measures for malicious intent.

No, a cracker is someone who only hacks black people.
    I'm furious with those eircom pricks, if they spent more time on their security instead of worrying about illegal file sharing:mad

I heard the DNS servers got hacked by illegal file sharers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Don't know what it's name is or where it came from.
    I was buckled on Saturday night at a mates house and he gave it to me.
    I was kind of surprised it works tbh.. Guess it's a technicians tool or something.

Am I the only one that thought this was a funny combination of words? :confused:

I don't use Eircom, gave up on them years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Ive a feeling its more like Eircom fcuked up and needs somethin to blame

"Yeah them hacker folks and their techno babble"

Failcom was down two evenings last week as well as last night. Apparently it was a network error on their part not a fault of the phone lines because our neighbours BT wasn't affected

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

sudo apt-get laid ffs

=p

Glad there are some pros on the case, I'm obsolete. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Bloody Eircom!!

My internet crashed last week, at 6.26pm - when the casket containing Michael Jackson appeared, and I only got it back 2day. Said it could cost 100 euro if the fault was with our line, rip off!! Don't think we're being charged it, fingers crossed.... Incensed that it took a week to fix the problem

Internet speed is now down to a third of what it was, TBH I don't find a difference, but on the bright side, I can still access boards quick enough!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm sticking with OpenDNS.

I'd rather public DNS servers than servers that are getting hacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 connexion

For two years with eircom in dublin 8 city centre 2004-06 they insisted we couldnt get broadband only dial up.

Same bs with many neighbours on my street.

Went with smart telecom 3 days later we had 4mb uncontended from the same exchange.

Best move ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

connexion wrote: »
    For two years with eircom in dublin 8 city centre 2004-06 they insisted we couldnt get broadband only dial up.

Same bs with many neighbours on my street.

Went with smart telecom 3 days later we had 4mb uncontended from the same exchange.

Best move ever.

Probably because Smart have always used ADSL2 which is much more tolerant when it comes to line noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I just switched to OpenDNS and it seems to be helping my speed which is pretty dire. Thanks for the tip. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 _nemesis_

Eircom says everything normal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dartz wrote: »
    Don't make it so hard that you can't remember it though....

Alphanumeric, with a rememberable mix of caps and lowercase is enough.

So long as it's not 'Password1'
    you don't have to remember your wireless password :rolleyes:
    just cut and paste from the web page on the router, use a cable to connect to the router

or maybe save it in a file :eek:

Were Eircom servers patched to date and were they using best practice and did they take into account stuff that was public knowledge in 2008, did they have a failback plan to take DNS from another product or another ISP ?

What disaster plan did they have in place ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

BT :eek:

I had so much trouble with them, that I moved to eircom.

I was the opposite Eircon wrecked my head BT perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

phasers wrote: »
    Yeah my brother told me about these Chinese hackers DDoSing Eircom but I thought he was making it up. He works in broadband tech support or something and said eircom have been covering this up for ages, blaming the weather and stuff but the Chinese have been hacking eircom for months at least

It's a pain in the hole though, half the time websites work and other times it takes ten minutes for them to tell me they're broken..

I would doubt that they've been 'hacking' 'for months'.

Also, from when I worked in Eircom, tech support and care never knew the intricate details of any attacks or security incidents. No doubt there are internal rumours and this is what he's probably passing on.

This is a distributed denial of service attack with, probably, some DNS poisoning happening. It's unfortunate that Eircom were targeted but there's little you can do to mitigate a DDOS.

Btw, I do not work for Eircom and haven't for nearly a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

why switching to openDNS is such a good idea?

It's not. OpenDNS are not 'open'.

They are a private company that mirror most of the normal TLDs domains. However, they do have their own TLDs that they serve and don't necessarily serve all the standard domains. Neither do they say they will - ever.

If you want a truly accessible DNS servers - use the Level3 ones.

Level3 are a Tier 1 ISP and use anycast to serve their DNS and are open to recursive lookups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Hi,
    some interesting reading here(well the bits that dont go over my head!:))
    these may be stupid questions for all i know,but it does puzzle me.

Why is open DNS free?what is in it for the providors?how do they make money from it?Is there a chance that there is something sinistor about it?
    all helpful replys welcome:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ynotdu wrote: »
    Hi,
    some interesting reading here(well the bits that dont go over my head!:))
    these may be stupid questions for all i know,but it does puzzle me.

Why is open DNS free?what is in it for the providors?how do they make money from it?Is there a chance that there is something sinistor about it?

http://www.opendns.com/support/article/14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There was a nice article about this in the Times yesterday

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/0718/1224250896136.html?via=mr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ynotdu wrote: »
    if you type in an incorrect address it gives "suggestions" some might be click ads or things

Advertisement