Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Checking Blind Spot when turning right/left at a junction.

Options
  • 14-07-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I am confused as to whether you need to check your blind spot when turning left/right at a junction.
    Turning left for instance: I understand one needs to check mirrors (centre and left), indicate, looking right and left - up and down road you are moving into and check mirrors again before maneuvering. But is it also necessary to check your blind spot here when you check the mirrors?
    I know you always check your blind spot when moving off, changing lanes, changing position on a road, doing turnabouts and reversing around corners, but i am confused about other times i should check my blind spot.
    Also, if i am turning left and the lights indicate i have right of way, i have been told to glance to the right as i move just in case my right of way has not been given. But should i be looking left as i take off rather than right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If you've come to a complete stop at the junction and are now moving off again, a quick check of the left blind spot is a good idea as you may have cyclists etc. coming up there. Probably not really neccesary when turning right as just about no-one will go up the right of you when you're turning right due to that putting them on the wrong side of the road.

However, you will get the odd cyclist and/or moped/small motorbike rider who will do it in order to get in front of you before the lights change, so again it doesn't hurt to check quickly.

If you're turning left with the lights, you should check to the right as you move into the junction/turn as someone may not have noticed he has a red light or has simply decided not to stop :eek: rare I know, but it does happen.
    You should of course mostly be looking in the direction of travel :)

Just remind yourself that Green means 'proceed with caution' not 'I am definitely 100% safe to go here as everyone else will have stopped'.

Good luck.

Advertisement