Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miscarriage - flowers suitable jesture?

Options
  • 14-07-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

My best friend is going through an awful time. She lost her first child a few years back during the birth and has just gone through a miscarriage. I bought her a voucher for a tree after her first baby and want to mark this second loss some way. She is at 9 weeks but I have known since early that she was pg.

I was thinking 9 white or yellow roses.

Are flowers a suitable condolence gesture in this instance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think you should get your friend flowers cos she's sad but not to mark the miscarriage.
    IT can be a very up setting and confusing time and it's hard to know if she will want to talk about it or not, some people got either way and some swing from one to the other.

I would suggest getting her, her favourite flower for her own sake rather then as a tribute to the child that she miscarried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

When my cousin miscarried I sent her flowers and I know they were appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

A few people I know including both my sisters and one SIL have experienced miscarriage. But the saddest was a good friend who lost the baby she had conceived through IVF. It was such a blow. I brought her some chocolate. Chocolate will always sheer you up a bit.
    so sorry for your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

Never underestimate how tough a blow it is to both mother and father.
    Focus on spending time with your friend.
    Do something together (this is good occupational therapy) - but the same time listen, be a friend and let her grieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

you are a good friend.i had a miscarriage 6 weeks ago and no one including my own mother has since phones/texted.let alone sent flowers!!!!i feel so lonely wish i had friends like you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

SarahSassy wrote: »

I was thinking 9 white or yellow roses.

Are flowers a suitable condolence gesture in this instance?

Flowers are one thing but giving nine to mark the number of weeks gone would really not be appreciated by me were I in her position. I know you don’t mean it in this way, but I'd find that kind of ghoulish and inappropriate to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 broken123

Hi as someone who has suffered 3 mc i think it is important to know that your friends are thinking of you - I would have like a little card from a friend along the lines of thinking of you at this difficult time. Not so sure on the 9 flowers - maybe keep note of the date and next year send a bunch of flowers - I found it so hard when the anniversary came up of my loss and no one remembered it at all.

Advertisement