Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ten past ten

• 14-07-2009 2:57pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at some images of watches today.

When you look at analogue watches (with hands) you soon notice that the majority are set at ten minutes past ten.

Apparently it gives symmetry to the watch & generally doesn't hide the makers name on the face.

Has anyone else noticed any similar standards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Sorry, but I think you've got the wrong forum, I think you should head down the corridor to 'Soc>Conspiracy Theories'
    :pac::D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I noticed that, and all digitals are set to 12:01 so they can be read upside down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

And natural gas has no smell. They add that in you know. So you can smell it... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

If you're wondering what side your fuel cap on a car ( a rental car etc) is on, have a look at the petrol pump icon on the dash board, the cap will be on the same side as the pump handle on the icon*

(*usually, waits to be disproved ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

CabanSail wrote: »
    Apparently it gives symmetry to the watch & generally doesn't hide the makers name on the face.

Also it makes the watch look 'smiley' :) Humans' eyes and brains are very attuned to patterns, and we tend to associate the upturned curve with a smiling face. Car designers use a similar graphic on a lot of cutesy small car 'faces'.

Hence you never see promo pictures of watches set for 3.40pm:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Nisio wrote: »
    If you're wondering what side your fuel cap on a car ( a rental car etc)is on have a look at the petrol pump icon on the dash board, the cap will be on the same side as the pump handle on the icon*

(*usually, waits to be disproved ;))

A myth, not true,
    I have checked before ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Tallon wrote: »
    A myth, not true,
    I have checked before ;)

Well I for one am most disappointed :mad::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

damn, it's held true for any cars I've driven so far

Nissan Micras have that "smiley" thing going on, I still hate them, maybe if they can make the front look smiley and the back of it look apologetic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

My Rover does not hold to that convention.

I was actually meaning this more about items which are standardised for Photography rather than things in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I was actually meaning this more about items which are standardised for Photography rather than things in general.

I know there is some convention as to which side a bride/groom stands at the alter at weddings, i wonder if this holds true for typical wedding photography too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

My Rover does not hold to that convention.

Well, the gas won't smell in photographs either... so... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I was looking at some images of watches today.

When you look at analogue watches (with hands) you soon notice that the majority are set at ten minutes past ten.

Has anyone else noticed any similar standards?

Oops.I missed out by an hour and ten minutes!:o

82CA31D9F9DC4BDD875998AAED226F79-500.jpg

:p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

dakar wrote: »
    Also it makes the watch look 'smiley' :) Humans' eyes and brains are very attuned to patterns, and we tend to associate the upturned curve with a smiling face. Car designers use a similar graphic on a lot of cutesy small car 'faces'.

I had to do a study on car design in promotional/advertising images a while ago as research for a shoot, some strange findings from other peoples work, such as the evolution of the car's design from a phallic object to that of a curve resembling a females curves. Have a look at some new and old car ads and you'll see what I mean.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

apparently according to my lecturer when shooting a model, if you flip the image after, its more appealing to the model as the usual imperfections are changed sides, making the image look different, or something to that effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It makes the model look different, as faces are not symmetrical. Try it with your own face, you'll see differences in the height of your eyes, etc. I wouldn't say it's more appealing as most models are more comfortable with the way they look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

dakar wrote: »

Actually saw a very interesting case of this in The Heineken Museum in Amsterdam. They had a section of the history of the branding through the years. At one point the sales were getting very very weak. So they got in a team of top marketting people who tilted all the "e"s in the logo back a bit, so they resemble a smile :), giving a happier impression. The sales soared!! V clever!

heineken_labelfront.jpg

Also the ten to ten watch face thing - Rule of Thirds for watch sellers?! (20min sectors)

Advertisement