Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill/Mountain Walking Beginner

Options
  • 14-07-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend are interested in starting hill/mountain walking but I'm unsure how to go about it, is there groups/clubs that regualerly organise them or is there a beginners course you can do?

Appericate any help.

Comments

Get boots, get a map of the area around Glendalough or some other place within driving distance of Dublin, and start walking!

It is that easy. I was thinking about it for ages, wondering would I join a club, what would I need, should I be fit etc. etc. and one day I just went for it and haven't looked back. Think boots, a compass and map (and some basic knowledge of how to use them, there are many tutorials online), a whistle/torch just in case, raingear, a change of clothes in the car and go for it. As you see what you like, you can acquire more and more, weather gear/gaiters, flasks, hydration packs, proper layered clothing, books on good walks etc. But would go in at the shallow end before incurring too much expense - for my first few walks I went in runners before spending any money, but was sticking to tracks then. Even still, lots of my gear is cheap, though have good boots.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,259 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

check out www.mountaineering.ie, there should be a list of clubs on there, clubs are a great way to get training and experience, if you find you really like it I would recommend doing a Mountain Skills course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Thanks for all the advice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Agree 100% with the club idea. You can tap into years of experience of the local area from some of the more experienced members and find areas and routes that you'd never discover yourself just armed with a map or even some of the guide books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 muddy

www.wicklowwalks.com is probably also worth a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement