Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Jobs Out There

Options
  • 14-07-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Righto,
    I know this is going off on a tangent a bit but Im desperate. I need a job ... any job. So I can get a bike...and pay rent

I just finished the leaving cert. and I'm looking for fulltime work in south dublin or the city centre. Does any1 know if anywhere is recruiting??

Poxy recession....this time last year I could have waled into superquinn naked and have been given a job

Any1 who could point me in the right direction - it would be a great help. I'm on all the job sits (FAS, jobs.ie, irish jobs etc...) and went around town handing out CVs for three days straight!

Sales assistant, warehouse op...anything really.

Thanks!

Dean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Hey im in a similar situation just graduated from college etc. Been unemployed for 2 months now..no interviews. Would you consider emigration? Or is that out of the equation too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Emmigration - forget that. I'm 17 nd I thought about it because I havent got as much as a sign of interest from employers (and i did good in school etc...) ... The thing is is that everywhere is in a recession. Plus the cost of actually moving to another COUNTRY without a definite job waiting for you there.

IF ANYONE WORKS IN A PLACE THEY KNOW IS TAKING ON PEOPLE OR JUST KNOWS OF SOMEWHERE- PLEASE HELP!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Im not been smart mate but there are literally thousands of well educated people out there applying for anything going so a 17 year old with a leaving cert is not exactly an attractive potential employee.Just look at the recent articles concerning people applying for Subway,Ikea,McDonalds etc.
    I think your best bet is try and do a course of some description.There are loads out there.Its just a matter of deciding what you are interested in.

I know. I know a fully trained airline pilot working as a sales assistant in Pennys!

See that my problem. I REALLY want to go to college but I need money to do so. The government are bringing back fees next year so I decided to take a gap year to fund a bachelors degree in Journalism.

My family arn't what you would call 'well-off' so I cant just pop off to college without a full years work done and a few K in the bank.

I'd literally take anything at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I empathise with you.When I went to college I took 2 years out before going on to do my ordinary then higher degree because my parents simply couldnt afford to send me plus I wouldnt expect them to anyway.
    In terms of college there are grants available at the moment,plus the re-introduction of fees may not be as bad as expected.There are alot of ideas been bandied around so you will have to wait for the budget to come out later this year and see what happens.

Have you tried any of the recruitment agencies for temp work?
    Noel Recruitment have contracts with various outlets eg the O2 for the floor and bar staff,so do PPG among others.

If you have any bar experience then it wouldnt be any harm to send your CV in to them for temping.Even if you dont have bar experience they are always looking for floor staff,glass collectors,cleaners etc.

Might not be a bad option as alot of companies dont want to take on full time staff so having temps suits them.

• Advertisement

Thanks! I'll check that out. I know this is gonna be tough but I'm really itching to work.

Once again. If anyone knows of any companies taking on staff - I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.

Anything from highstreet shops to warehouses to .... anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

You live in Dublin?

That's great, because Flexsource (www.flexsource.ie) is giving preference to people who live in or around Dublin. They are looking for people for warehouse and other industrial roles.

I know this cos I've applied there earlier this year, and I've been told about the preference rule, since I live in Dundalk.

Are you looking for a journalism course in a private college? I know that there is a similar course in DIT, and DIT has a scheme to help disadvantaged or low income students. Make sure you visit DIT Aungier Street ASAP for more info.

I'm a DIT student by the way, so feel free to ask anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Im not been smart mate but there are literally thousands of well educated people out there applying for anything going so a 17 year old with a leaving cert is not exactly an attractive potential employee.Just look at the recent articles concerning people applying for Subway,Ikea,McDonalds etc.
    A 17 year old has one advantage over a college graduate. They can legally do a full working week for €6.06 per hour and don't qualify for the full minimum wage until they've been working two years after turning 18. In the current climate there have to be employers who'd be interested in the lower cost labour. Obviously working for less in order to find a job may no be that appealing.
    Dean0088 wrote: »
    See that my problem. I REALLY want to go to college but I need money to do so. The government are bringing back fees next year so I decided to take a gap year to fund a bachelors degree in Journalism.
    That's a very counter-intuitive way of looking at it. The last thing I'd tell someone who'd completed their Leaving Cert to do is to defer stating college due to impending fees. If you start your undergraduate course with 'free fees' under the current setup then legitimate expectation would dictate that you'd have them for the entire duration of the degree. If third level fees come back they'll only apply to people starting a course from then on.

I know that money might be tight but ensuring that you get into the system while it's less expensive to do so seems like a very good idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steo123

dean howaya have u had any luck?what are people woithout work doing to pass time?

Still nothing m8. Not even so much as a reply never mind an interview. To pass the time... I look for a job all day. When I'm done with that and have applied to everything I can I just find myself doing nothing which is what I dont want to do.

Playing the XBOX, walken round the area while. shake bordom become pretty boring after a while.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

jaysus lad

your 17, there are people here in 20s, 30s with degrees and all that, mortages to pay, kids to feed. and cant get diddly squat.

If you are thinking of going to college you should, why not do some volunteer work or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Unless you can get a sponsor for transport and meals etc volunteering costs money. I remember when my daughter took up a day to collect for a charity and it cost her a fiver on the bus plus about a tenner for lunch and other food for the day. Just moving about this town costs money which most teens don't have now and most volunteer groups can't afford to pay food and transport costs for their volunteers.
    In another slant on the volunteer side of things I noticed one of our bosses brought his son to work and had him do some simple tasks about the place. I saw him interviewing my colleagues finding out how they work, whats involved and how you get qualified to do the work etc. It is great opportunity for someone to at least get a feel for what the workplace is like and I figured he was lucky to have his father as a boss to be able to do this. I think all employees within reason should be able to bring their adult or near-adult kids to work so they can get a taste of what it is like.
    Obviously a flightdeck of an airliner or an operatinng theatre would be no place for kid but for a majority of workplaces there should be no problem.

Advertisement