Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid question - claiming back motor tax

• 14-07-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

So, my dad's Alfa 156 was stolen late last year and used in a cash-in-transit robbery. The scrotes were caught on the same day, and the car has been in the Gardai impound since then, and is ready to be released.

It was taxed up until this summer, but that has now expired.

www.citizensinformation.ie says the following:
    Refunds of motor tax

It is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120. Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;

* The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
    * The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
    * The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
    * The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
    * The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
    * The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.

Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.

The bit in bold is confusing me - can we not claim the tax back because it expired while the car was in the impound? Or because it has expired, surrendering it isn't a factor at all?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

There needs to be at least 3 months left on the tax disc when you apply for the refund. You're out luck I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

iirc, that on submission of the application for refund, the car must have a minimum of three months left to claim,

if you submitted the form today, your car must be taxed for the next three months to claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Crap, I was afraid of that :(

Thanks folks.

PS, you're both banned for giving me bad news :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

eoin wrote: »
    PS, you're both banned for giving me bad news :D

Well that was a successful venture into Motors - 2 posts and a banning :pac:

Well that was a successful venture into Motors - 2 posts and a banning :pac:

The truth hurts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Maybe keep any of the Paperwork from the Cop. Maybe a Wanna Cagney and Lacey will throw you a few extra quid because of it's history.

It will need to be towed away anyway as it's not taxed, NCT'd or starting (probably just a flat battery), so we're going to see what the insurance company says. Sad way for it to go, it was a great car for my dad over the 10 years he owned it.

Advertisement