Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interailing

• 14-07-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hey,

Going inter railing with my gf next month im over 26 and she is under wondering if it worthwhile getting the inter rail pass or should i steer clear of it. flying into berlin but after that its summa like poland, czech, slovak, hungary and austria i reckon.

do you need to book trains in advance. ditto with hostels. Dont really want to be stuck to rigid dates, but dont want to have to sleep rough/pay for a hotel either

cheers for any advice from anyone whose done it before

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

If you have the ticket you don't need to book in advance but you might not be guaranteed a seat. It's definitely worth getting I'd say if you're going to cover that amount of land but do the addition if you have a set itinery and see if it works out cheaper for you.

Thought you're not able to get the pass from USIT if you're over 26 though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tbh mate, I lost my ticket and bought a new one, so it cost me 804 euro, and I still think its worth it. Like I got a 135 euro from Paris to Munich for free 3 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Think if you're sticking to Eastern Europe you'd probably be cheaper buying train tickets as you go along - as for reserving the trains, have a look at www.bahn.de to check which trains need to be booked in advance (and some of the trains also require you to pay a supplement!) or just ask in the train station in that particular city - usually the international or high-speed/intercity trains are the ones that you need to book. As for hostels, I would say book a few days in advance when you've decided where you're going to go next.

Advertisement