Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under Age Soccer Training

• 14-07-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

My young lad turns 7 in a few weeks and is really interested in joining a team, soccer preferably. Are there any teams training during the summer or are they all on summer breaks, when do teams normally start training again. He hasn't played with a club before, we live in Fairfield Park, anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I can recommend Villa. My 11 year old has been going to Villa for years and they have a great set-up. He won player of the year last Friday night, proud mammy here :D

The late Frankie Byrne who was involved in Villa for 50+ years always maintained that all children who wanted to play would get the chance to play irrespective of their ability and that's the great thing all standards are catered for unlike at the first club my son joined, it wasn't your ability but who you were that was the ethos in that club and it was the same when my husband was a child.

They have an academy for children under 9 years of age and it's held on Saturday mornings at Newtown.

Here's a link

http://www.villafc.ie/index.htm

They had a soccer camp last week and another one around the week of the 17th August. I think training will resume from end of July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

deisemum wrote: »
    I can recommend Villa. My 11 year old has been going to Villa for years and they have a great set-up. He won player of the year last Friday night, proud mammy here :D

The late Frankie Byrne who was involved in Villa for 50+ years always maintained that all children who wanted to play would get the chance to play irrespective of their ability and that's the great thing all standards are catered for unlike at the first club my son joined, it wasn't your ability but who you were that was the ethos in that club and it was the same when my husband was a child.

They have an academy for children under 9 years of age and it's held on Saturday mornings at Newtown.

Here's a link

http://www.villafc.ie/index.htm

They had a soccer camp last week and another one around the week of the 17th August. I think training will resume from end of July.

+1 for the villa also , i played there myself when i was a kid .....also another 2 clubs that would be in your area are bohs (bohemians) who's pitch is in poleberry and also southend who are on the tramore road beside the kingfisher gym afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

daftdave wrote: »
    +1 for the villa also , i played there myself when i was a kid .....also another 2 clubs that would be in your area are bohs (bohemians) who's pitch is in poleberry and also southend who are on the tramore road beside the kingfisher gym afaik.

Aren't Hibs beside Kingfisher? Southend was always out the Lacken Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 deiseabu

mojor wrote: »
    My young lad turns 7 in a few weeks and is really interested in joining a team, soccer preferably. Are there any teams training during the summer or are they all on summer breaks, when do teams normally start training again. He hasn't played with a club before, we live in Fairfield Park, anyone have any recommendations?

Hi - I am involved in the Villa Club, the academy is on a Summer Break until Sat Aug 22nd, most clubs are finished for the Summer. Your son is more than welcome to come along to Newtown School @ 9.30 on any Saturday after that date. We are also running a Summer Camp from 17th August for a week, he may be interested in that. Forms can be collected in clubhouse in Poleberry (next to Ozier Park) or from any club member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

gscully wrote: »
    Aren't Hibs beside Kingfisher? Southend was always out the Lacken Rd.

i went to watch a game there a long time ago , probably a southend away game so !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

Thanks for all the replys, looks like i'll have to hold him back for a few weeks so, he's doing the Samba Soccer in a few weeks, he did it last year and really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

de la salle are still training.

they have brilliant academy,that is run very well.i have four nephews going there n they love it.i know lot of the lads also as i played with them myself for 20 years.

as far as i know they in kingfisher sat mornings from 930.not sure of finish time

pm me if u need more info

Advertisement