Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

concrete and old stone houses

• 14-07-2009 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I'm planning a renovation of an stone house circa the 1900's and I was wondering if I was raising the height of the roof by completely removing the old roof (which had been replaced 25 yrs. ago) and putting a concrete tie-beam (about 2' high by 3' width) on top of the stone around the entire exterior wall and up the gable ends.
    Would this be feasible and safe?
    Would it affect the natural breathability of the stone wall?
    Is there a particular type/mix of concrete that should be used?
    Is there any other issues i should take into consideration.

Also, there had been and concrete floor laid 25yrs as well and since i plan to demo and re-lay as I have taken down an original interior wall and will be re-plumbing, plus the outside ground and pavement is level with the interior floor, I want to raise the floor. My question is do I go with a concrete floor or a lime based floor.
    I've also noticed a gap between the edge of the concrete floor and the stone wall of about 4-5 inches all around the house (the wall studs had been sunk into this gap). Is this to allow the wall to breathe, allow radon to dissipate and /or to prevent dampness.
    There is a damp-proof membrane underneath the floor as far as I can tell.

Any help and/or ideas about any of the above would be appreciated

West of Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

The ring beam should work, but it depends on the condition of the existing wall. I have used similar a number of times and they've been fine. Have you got planning for raising the roof, you'll need it.

I'd put down a new concrete floor with a new radon barrier and sump piped to the outside & insulation.

I'm not sure about the 4inch gap, I'd have to see it to see what was going on. was the house previously drylined with studs which have been removed and have s screed on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yekim

i've been thinking about using lime based 'crete for the floor because of its breathability.
    I've read that this is a preferable method with stone buildnings
    Any thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yekim

what would be the best heating system for this kind of house

Advertisement