Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCOS and bad skin

Options
  • 14-07-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. My doctor has decided not to prescribe hormones or any drugs yet as she would like to see if my cycle will return to normal over the next few months (I was on the pill for 10 years up until a few months ago and haven't had a cycle since.)

I am finding the breakouts/acne really hard to deal with. She didn't want to prescribe anything as she said that the available antibiotics are not suitable when you are trying to concieve. I'm just finding that the acne is leaving me quite depressed. I'm 30 years old and have spots like a teenager! I mean it was bad enough then but now I have spots AND wrinkles! I have mainly been having breakouts around my mouth and jaw. The spots can be really swollen and painful and are quite hard to conceal.

I don't really want to go down the antiboitics route as, however annoying the spots are, TTC is more important to me. My (long winded) question is, has anyone had any success using natural methods to control acne? I'm using the spot creams and clearasil but they don't really have much effect. I'd love any advice you guys can offer!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭winking weber

Dont use clearasil. You need to use more gentle products. I dont think clearasil is ever a good idea tbh.

Get regular facials (say once a month) if you can. Use good gentle cleansing products (I'm on dermalogica at the moment, roc and dr hauschka are supposed to be good too). Keep your hands away from your face. Dont over cleanse and make sure to keep moisturised.

Natural remedies for hormone regulation include evening primrose oil, agnus castus and maca. I'm taking the first two. Google em. And with pcos its important to stay away from high gi foods like white bread and sugar which cause insulin spikes and aggravate the condition.

And thirdly, if its bad and really getting you down, dont rule out a trip to a dermatologist. There are medications out there that will control acne. Things such as differin gel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

A dermatologist is really the only route to go here, tbh.

For some people, harsh cleansers don't work. However, if I don't basically resurface my face every night with a scrubby sponge thingy, I start growing a second face. Only a dermatologist can tell you what kind of acne you have and therefore what should work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

Same boat re the pcos, i've tried tea tree oil dabbed onto outbreaks, works well for me. used to use witch stick when I was a teen worked really, really well. heres a link to their website which shows all their products http://www.witchskincare.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=8
    hope that helps. :) also if you want to chat re pcos please pm me. take care.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Get started on a low GI diet. It'll help to get all your hormones regulated and in turn your skin will improve.

i've got PCOS and skin was in bits for ages before I was diagnosed.

A combination of the diet & good skin care regime helped clear it all up.
    My skin flared up again there recently and I used Panoxyl. You can buy it over the counter in most chemists, get the 5% one to start. Wash your face and then dab this stuff on. I just used it at night tho.

Be warned tho that its harsh and will dry out your skin terribly but if you counteract that with a good exfoliator it should work. Well it worked for me anyway.

Anyway get started on the diet and everything else will fall into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tangerine786

get a tub of "herbalism" cleanser from lush and use it twice a day. also keep yourself very well hydrated - keep refilling a bottle of water throughout the day. try to eat lots of fruit and veg, and cut back as much as possible on dairy products.

• Advertisement
Advertisement