Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYI Blood donation at the Clayton tonight and tomorrow night

Options
  • 14-07-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

(Feel life savey? Go on!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Thanks Xiney, I have emailed them loads of times asking for details of when they will be in Galway never get any responce from them though and I always see then too late to donate. Do you know what times they are doing it tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It's from 4.30pm-8.30pm. both days

Thanks will head early from work and get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

once you donate for the first time, they send you texts (if you want) and letters.

So you'll always know then :)

I used to donate in Mayo. Anytime I noticed them here it was always when I was going to work so it was too late at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I'll be there with bells on!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Xiney wrote: »
    once you donate for the first time, they send you texts (if you want) and letters.

So you'll always know then :)

No they don't. I have asked twice and got notified once. Nothing since then. I'll will ask again tonight though.

well, himself and I have been getting letters and texts without fail.. so I guess their system has improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Normally get texts a few days in advance, must head out this evening, its been a few months...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unachicagilmore

I have never given blood but would like to. What does it involve and how long does it take?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I have never given blood but would like to. What does it involve and how long does it take?

Fill in forms
    Get Iron Test done, talk to rep about your form
    Get on bed
    Give blood
    Drink fluids & eat free tayto and chocolate

The waiting can be a bit long sometimes but if you go early or late it's quite quick, they're trying to reduce waiting times at the moment so it's improving.

Last time I went was at its busiest and it took an hour. Not much once every 3 months and saving more than one person's life as a consequence (they split out the blood and use it for different things).

It really doesn't hurt at all. Scary just before they stick your finger for the iron test and scary just before they put the needle in, but I'm always a lot more "eek" than the pain actually deserves.

It's actually just a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks for the info, won't get out tomorrow but will defo try to get out tomorrow, always wanted to give blood.

What's the story with driving after though... heard ya can be a bit weezy for a while? And who's organising it... HSE or who?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, won't get out tomorrow but will defo try to get out tomorrow, always wanted to give blood.

What's the story with driving after though... heard ya can be a bit weezy for a while? And who's organising it... HSE or who?

Blood Transfusion Service - www.giveblood.ie

You'll be fine to drive after your bag of Taytos! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Clayton is not exactly central, what made them choose that location?

It's the City East Clinic, there are ones in the West and Centre in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

According to this link: http://www.giveblood.ie/Where_to_Give_Blood/?county=Galway

Today is the last day to donate. Bummer, cause no chance i'll get out today

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where's the central one?

The clayton suited me well this time around, hasn't other times though.

Used to be the boat club in Woodquay, probably still is.

Advertisement