Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Immersion Time Switch

Options
  • 14-07-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I've trawled through the posts and still not sure what is the best immersion timer switch to get. Can some give a few mechanical and digital recommendations? I'm sure I'm not the only one that is looking for advise.

Personally I need a single socket flush mounted one as apposed to the surface mounted or double gangway variety. I have managed to figure out that a 16A timer is better than 13A timer for the 3KW rating :-) Would this one for example be suitable: http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/_sa_webapp/run25fa.html?page=81

Any help would be fantastic :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

For a digital immersion timer with different bath/sink timing options try this:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61088932&postcount=42
    I need a single socket flush mounted one

The timer will mount on a 1 gang box, which is what I think you want.
    16A timer is better than 13A timer for the 3KW rating
    16A is a bare minimum, I would go for a 20 or better still 25A rating myself. Then it will last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 opalfruit

I installed a Timeguard CTU9000 in May last year when I moved into a house with just the manaul switch option. I was able to install the timer without a hitch and it worked away until about a month ago when I noticed we had no hot water one morning. Timer looked ok on the outside but when I removed the back of it the whole back was burned out and melted. While it was rated for 3KW it was 13A only.

I've now gone back to manual for moment and am also looking for a new timer which might last a little longer than a year!.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭blackeyes

Thanks for the replies all, especially about he Timeguard CTU900 as I'd been looking at that but was worried about the fact is was only 13A. Does anyone know if the timer I mentioned in my opening post is suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

blackeyes wrote: »
    Hi All,
    : http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/_sa_webapp/run25fa.html?page=81

Any help would be fantastic :-)

that is a decent brand, some of their units were called back some years ago, but they were on the ball about it, you are better off with a known name wrt to timeclocks as a sturdy timer is a better and safer bet than an unknown brand that may have some small extra electrial function, but with 7 day /24 hour and 20 slots this shold be fine for most people. 2011 advice about 20Amp is good IMO. Siemens have a nice range too. You main option does not seem to have a sink bath option though, I could be wrong but I'd say that rules it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Why not go for the tried and tested APT Timeclock. Will cost you between €30-€40 in any Wholesaler. Only thing is it's not digital, it's analogue (Clock where you pull in/out the pins) but sure it's all you need, no point complicating things :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

atariman wrote: »
    Why not go for the tried and tested APT Timeclock. Will cost you between €30-€40 in any Wholesaler. Only thing is it's not digital, it's analogue (Clock where you pull in/out the pins) but sure it's all you need, no point complicating things :)

cos they give loads of trouble.pins fall off .timer stops .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭blackeyes

Thanks for the info all. I've had issues with the APT timers in the past, especially with pins going missing!. Stoner I had hoped that the timer would go before the on/off bath/sink switch and I could just manually switch between sink/bath if needed. We really only use the sink option 95% of time anyways so it would mostly be just set to sink. Would this work?

timer before immersion switch normally .timer can go at fusebox (if no spurs in hotpress)or near immersion switch

davelerave wrote: »
    cos they give loads of trouble.pins fall off .timer stops .:D

Pins fall off?? Man, 7 years in this job I've yet to see one APT Timeclock returned with pins falling off. They give loads of trouble - yea they do, they also do a lot of work on a daily basis, which is why they come with a two year guarantee with them. I will never fail to reimburse someone once the timeclock is in warranty, which is proved by the number on the inside of them.:pac:

Fair enough Davelerave, I've personally yet to have an APT timeclock come back to me for "pegs falling off of her" woah sounds a bit saucy in a John B. Keane sense there...

• Advertisement

sorry there i deleted that post.was doing a re-edit.it happens.they break .maybe not all the time:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

atariman:
    Why not go for the tried and tested APT Timeclock

davelerave:
    cos they give loads of trouble.pins fall off .timer stops .biggrin.gif
    Exactly!

atariman:
    I've personally yet to have an APT timeclock come back to me for "pegs falling off of her"
    I have seen many fail and I bet davelerave has too.

atariman:
    they come with a two year guarantee with them.
    I am not trying to be smart, but people want thier timeclocks to last far more than 2 years.

davelerave:
    timer can go at fusebox (if no spurs in hotpress)or near immersion switch
    You are permitted (ET101) to take a spur from the immersion to feed small loads associated with the hotpress such as a spur for a timeclock or a shower pump.

Yea I've seen a lot of them fail too, just saying that I've never seen one fail because the pegs have come out.

2011 wrote: »
    atariman:

davelerave:
    Exactly!

atariman:

atariman:
    I am not trying to be smart, but people want thier timeclocks to last far more than 2 years.

davelerave:
    You are permitted (ET101) to take a spur from the immersion to feed small loads associated with the hotpress such as a spur for a timeclock or a shower pump.
    the timer can be sited at 'origin' of circuit ie:fusebox if there are no existing spurs in hotpress(which would be 'interrupted') is my point

davelerave:
    the timer can be sited at 'origin' of circuit
    Yes I agree.

davelerave:
    if there are no existing spurs in hotpress
    ..... then you could feed a spur outlet from the supply for the immersion, before it is "interupted" was what I was suggesting.

atariman:
    Yea I've seen a lot of them fail too, just saying that I've never seen one fail because the pegs have come out.
    Once I see a product that fails "a lot" I dont use it and I suggest to others not to use it either.

:rolleyes: Fair point.

Not much choice though if you want a one gang analogue not too pricey clock.

Not much choice though if you want a one gang analogue not too pricey clock.
    True! Perhaps there is a market oppertunity here!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Just to throw in my 2c here, i have also replaced many Time switches because of the pins falling out, be they Flash or APT.
    In fairness, i have bought dozens of time switches and many of those are replacements for broken ones, how is the guy behind the counter supposed to know I'm replacing one. Most lads couldn't be arsed trying to get a free replacement they'll just buy one and charge it up to the customer.
    The only reason I find that people opt for the analogue type over the digital ones is because they perceive them to be difficult to program and you always end up losing the instructions (though there is a brand of digital time switch that used to have a little compartment to store the instructions in).

SparKing, I agree with everything you said. The thing is that most (not all) people already have a digital timer for thier boiler and a similar one could be used for the immersion (connected to a suitable contactor).

The other thing is that a boost button makes life very simple. If you are ever short of hot water, simply push the button and it will turn itself off. It does not get much more simple.

In general the timer programme only has to be programmed once.

Advertisement