Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Nitelife on the Up???

• 14-07-2009 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Probably start off a big debate here but as well as Revolution having a big expansion, Harveys have just announced a 4million euro revamp creating an extra 50 jobs.
    Is the business there in the middle of a recession for so many niteclubs/late bars in the one area? On a saturday night u will now have over 8 venues going till late all in the one area(Kazbar,EA,Masons,Muldoons,Oxygen,Rubys club and lounge,Revolution and Harveys). Competition is good for business but how long before one of these close and start losing more jobs? What changes do you think venues shud make to attract customers back into town on a weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

One word, No:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bring down the prices obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Funnily enough, any time someone asked where I was from at Oxegen, and I said Waterford, they all told me it was one of the best spots for going out... I just stick to old man pubs so didn't know what they were on about, other than giving out about places charging in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Forum is free in before 12 and prices are somewhat cheaper with the drink.

It was very packed saturday night. I was expecting it to be empty because of oxegen.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Wait - since when is the forum free before 12???

The reason I've not been to the forum in yonks is because of the tenner in. And I was living in Dublin. But lets say it was because of the tenner in.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »

The reason I've not been to the forum in yonks is because of the tenner in. And I was living in Dublin. But lets say it was because of the tenner in.

Last few weeks as far as im aware...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Fajitas! wrote: »

It's been that way for a good few weeks now apparently. Seemingly the idea is working and crowds are increasing again.

Any detail on the Revolution revamp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Anon0000 wrote: »
    Harveys have just announced a 4million euro revamp creating an extra 50 jobs.

Jesus they did well over the cover charge so :)

ziedth wrote: »
    Jesus they did well over the cover charge so :)

lol strange the banks are lending to them, Revolution is meant to be open in Early August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

dazftw wrote: »

It was very packed saturday night. I was expecting it to be empty because of oxegen.
    Are they really cheaper though? It's still €5.25 for a pint. It's about time they did something to try bring back the masses, but it will be interesting to see how Revolution affects them when they open up their new bar. I'm pretty sick of the forum and I know of plenty of people who are just dying for an alternative!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Was talkin to a mate who did some work in Revolution during the week, said it was opening this weekend. Not sure how true that is but so he said....

>>(Kazbar,EA,Masons,Muldoons,Oxygen,Rubys club and lounge,Revolution and Harveys).

Out of the few places you mentioned what are peoples recent experiences with them?

I've been in Kazbar a few times recently and after 12 it was dead (apart from maybe a few in the top floor).

Rubys Lounge is generally always busy but might have a lot to do with the small size and layout of the place.

Oxygen.... is this place still open?

What have other people noticed? I think Harveys got quiet after they introduced the door charge, whats it like now though? (haven't been there since :mad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭clinchy

the forum aint that good dj plays the same set nearly every weekend cant beat muldoons boy

i can't stand ruby lounge tbh, nothing wrong with the place per se but the giys who drink there when it gets busy and it basically becomes a free for all in front of the bar with noone wanting to give an inch and let people walk by or get a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Have to say, although I haven't seen any of them, the amount of gigs advertised between Twister Vics, Ruby's Lounge, Electric Avenue, etc. is quite impressive. I'd say you'd get at least one decent band any night of the week. Not that I could tell you whether they're decent or not, but there are bands playing anyway.

Agree with previous comments about rubys lounge, it really is poorly laid out and becomes a nightmare when busy. But they are very good for live music though, I'm in there regularly on thursday nights and they always have good quality bands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

rayc wrote: »
    >>(Kazbar,EA,Masons,Muldoons,Oxygen,Rubys club and lounge,Revolution and Harveys).

Out of the few places you mentioned what are peoples recent experiences with them?

I've been in Kazbar a few times recently and after 12 it was dead (apart from maybe a few in the top floor).

Rubys Lounge is generally always busy but might have a lot to do with the small size and layout of the place.

Oxygen.... is this place still open?

What have other people noticed? I think Harveys got quiet after they introduced the door charge, whats it like now though? (haven't been there since :mad:)

since harveys started charging on the door the kazbar is staying packed till half 2..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

dazftw wrote: »

awesome!! , havent been there in a few weeks, thats saturday night sorted now :D

soooo much better than down town.. ugh was dragged into p-oxygen the last few weeks, now my turn to say where to go !

What kinds of music do the play in the Forum? is it all the one on thing Indie and rock?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

What kinds of music do the play in the Forum? is it all the one on thing Indie and rock?

Yaeh indie and rock, far better than chart sh$t. The free in between 12 is working, the place is full. I noticed the drink prices are also down. Got a pint for 4:80 last saturday up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

emo!! wrote: »
    awesome!! , havent been there in a few weeks, thats saturday night sorted now :D

soooo much better than down town.. ugh was dragged into p-oxygen the last few weeks, now my turn to say where to go !
    I'm not finished work until 12 so I'd actually feel offended having to pay when I got up there!

since harveys started charging on the door the kazbar is staying packed till half 2..

Good to hear other places are benefiting from Harveys greed.

"Harveys have just announced a 4million euro revamp creating an extra 50 jobs."

Anyone know anymore on what they're doing for 4 million, must be going to add extra floors possibly?

ya €4m is allot for a revamp, I'd imagine that is prety much gutting the palce. I'm surprised seeing as they only opended it up not too long ago.

ziedth wrote: »
    ya €4m is allot for a revamp, I'd imagine that is prety much gutting the palce. I'm surprised seeing as they only opended it up not too long ago.

Yeah and I'd be surprised if they closed the place for any length of time, they'd lose too much money. They have a few floors above the current bar don't they? Maybe they plan on building a full night club up there? They have just opened a Harveys bar with Mantra night club in Maynooth, would make sense that they'd do the same thing here......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

rayc wrote: »
    Yeah and I'd be surprised if they closed the place for any length of time, they'd lose too much money. They have a few floors above the current bar don't they? Maybe they plan on building a full night club up there? They have just opened a Harveys bar with Mantra night club in Maynooth, would make sense that they'd do the same thing here......

Why though? They already exist solely as a late bar and as a viable alternative to a night-club. If they opened a club upstairs, wouldn't they only do damage to Harveys the bar?

gscully wrote: »
    Why though? They already exist solely as a late bar and as a viable alternative to a night-club. If they opened a club upstairs, wouldn't they only do damage to Harveys the bar?

Well I'm just basing it on the model that seems to be used in most other places here and in other cities. Muldoons + Oxygen, Rubys + Rubys Lounge, even the newly done-up Revolutions seemingly has a night-club/dance area upstairs. Maybe they're just trying to draw in the extra night-club crowd that would go to rubys/oxygen, while still retaining the current crowd in the bar.

In a business sense, adding a night-club to the pub would probably only add value to their premises I guess, offering more to the customer. The only question would be whether it was cost-effective in terms of paying extra staff etc..

AdMMM wrote: »
    Are they really cheaper though? It's still €5.25 for a pint. It's about time they did something to try bring back the masses, but it will be interesting to see how Revolution affects them when they open up their new bar. I'm pretty sick of the forum and I know of plenty of people who are just dying for an alternative!

I think some of the drinks are! I didnt buy any drinks but a few friends were saying pints were a euro cheaper. Bottles are supposed to be the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Escape Nite Club opening above Revolution week after the spraoi.

Revolution Basement Bar opening Spraoi Weekend.

Harveys may have announced that they're expanding, but that just means they have the plans put together. They're knocking into houses at either side of Harveys and upstairs as well. Could be a super club. I think it's a few years away though as I'm sure they won't mind me saying that they don't have 4 million at the moment...Mantra should help raise that though.

First and foremost there's not enough customers in this town to support three clubs so one will be sacrificed...Unless Rubys get themselves a smoking area, I think that will be the one to go.

All of this does nothing about the problem about too much happening at one end of the town. We need a millionaire to go into the book centre, clear out all the books and open a kick ass bar/club. Spread out the pubs again. Every night then Michael Street could be lit up by some good lightening and some great buskers. A lot of traffic then coming between red square and John Street Village. Even turning the old cinema into a big bar/club would do that and hopefully draw people back into town.

Will people stop going on about prices...blame the brewries blame the government...but if you're paying for bands/DJs/Security/Exemptions in the centre of town, your hands are tied. Sometimes people just sound like little kids demanding cheaper drink....and then you wonder why there are so many bars and clubs closing in this country.

Escape Nite Club opening above Revolution week after the spraoi.

Revolution Basement Bar opening Spraoi Weekend.

Harveys may have announced that they're expanding, but that just means they have the plans put together. They're knocking into houses at either side of Harveys and upstairs as well. Could be a super club. I think it's a few years away though as I'm sure they won't mind me saying that they don't have 4 million at the moment...Mantra should help raise that though.

First and foremost there's not enough customers in this town to support three clubs so one will be sacrificed...Unless Rubys get themselves a smoking area, I think that will be the one to go.

All of this does nothing about the problem about too much happening at one end of the town. We need a millionaire to go into the book centre, clear out all the books and open a kick ass bar/club. Spread out the pubs again. Every night then Michael Street could be lit up by some good lightening and some great buskers. A lot of traffic then coming between red square and John Street Village. Even turning the old cinema into a big bar/club would do that and hopefully draw people back into town.

Will people stop going on about prices...blame the brewries blame the government...but if you're paying for bands/DJs/Security/Exemptions in the centre of town, your hands are tied. Sometimes people just sound like little kids demanding cheaper drink....and then you wonder why there are so many bars and clubs closing in this country.

With respecy mate like me after 6 pints that just doesn't hold water.

Economies of scale would suggest to me that with the amount of customers they have and amount of drink they order the they should by right be cheaper then say the nightclubs in dungarvan or new ross which are cheaper.

Now, i don't know but does anyone here know what kind of profit margins are on beer and spirits? I'd imagine spirts and bottles arw through the roof of you look at it simply like offie prices.

Anyway, i'd love to see harvey's with a massive downstairs seating and & seperate club. I wouldn't loose any sleep over ruby's going under tbh haven't been there since my college days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'm not finished work until 12 so I'd actually feel offended having to pay when I got up there!
    ha hate that !

Advertisement