Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Nitelife on the Up???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

ziedth wrote: »
    With respecy mate like me after 6 pints that just doesn't hold water.

Economies of scale would suggest to me that with the amount of customers they have and amount of drink they order the they should by right be cheaper then say the nightclubs in dungarvan or new ross which are cheaper.

Now, i don't know but does anyone here know what kind of profit margins are on beer and spirits? I'd imagine spirts and bottles arw through the roof of you look at it simply like offie prices.

Anyway, i'd love to see harvey's with a massive downstairs seating and & seperate club. I wouldn't loose any sleep over ruby's going under tbh haven't been there since my college days.

With respect mate, you seem to be just guessing and don't really know a lot about what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

With respect mate, you seem to be just guessing and don't really know a lot about what you're talking about.

Thats a tad bit uncalled for this is a discussion fourm and that's what i was doing, it should be fairly obvious from my post that i don't know seeing as I SAID so, by the by it's not big or clever to point out typos. I post from the mobile site and you can imagine that i'm not to bothered about exact spelling putting it in through a mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭longwhitecross+

Every single bar suffers from the same problem.

2.30 close. Ain't never heard of nothing like it before coming to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Every single bar suffers from the same problem.

2.30 close. Ain't never heard of nothing like it before coming to Ireland.

Yeah 2.30 is way too early!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

ziedth wrote: »
    Thats a tad bit uncalled for this is a discussion fourm and that's what i was doing, it should be fairly obvious from my post that i don't know seeing as I SAID so, by the by it's not big or clever to point out typos. I post from the mobile site and you can imagine that i'm not to bothered about exact spelling putting it in through a mobile

First off, apologies, i wasn't highlighting your spelling, I was highlighting your use of the word respect and using it back at ya.

What you think of the discussion to have clubs stay open til 4am...just curious as to what you think...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

As someone mentioned,I think making the old cinema into a bar/club would be great.
    Really,it would be awesome if there was a restaurant in it too,as I think it's fookin ridiculous how early the restaurants close at at present :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i dunno i had great laugh in rhon mhor tonight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Id say Harveys will go the way of Muldoons/Oxygen, nite club upstairs and downstairs will be a late night bar midweek..

At the moment its only a weekend venue unless the students are around.

They also have plenty of room to expand as part of the purchase was 2 houses on the left as you look at it and one on the right iirc..

I could also see Oxygen possibly closing and turning into another venue like Masons, maybe one better designed for live bands etc..

Will be interesting to see, but I definitely agree with another poster, I dont think Waterford has the population to support another big niteclub in the town.. Granted on a busy Sat night, the place is hopping and they could fill it, but thats probably 1 weekend in every 4-6 weekends.. so wouldnt be economically viable especially in the current economic climate to open another one unless the competition is changing theirs..

Add to this, the fact that the owners of Harveys and Oxygen/Rubys have been doing business together for a while so I could see that being a factor and I cant see them suddenly changing all this.

Maybe if they do choose to redo Oxygen/Muldoons, then Harveys will go first, do the renovations, open and Oxygen closes for its renovations and Harveys takes the crowds..

Its all a theory but does kinda make sense.

Tox

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Id say Harveys will go the way of Muldoons/Oxygen, nite club upstairs and downstairs will be a late night bar midweek..

At the moment its only a weekend venue unless the students are around.

They also have plenty of room to expand as part of the purchase was 2 houses on the left as you look at it and one on the right iirc..

I could also see Oxygen possibly closing and turning into another venue like Masons, maybe one better designed for live bands etc..

Will be interesting to see, but I definitely agree with another poster, I dont think Waterford has the population to support another big niteclub in the town.. Granted on a busy Sat night, the place is hopping and they could fill it, but thats probably 1 weekend in every 4-6 weekends.. so wouldnt be economically viable especially in the current economic climate to open another one unless the competition is changing theirs..

Add to this, the fact that the owners of Harveys and Oxygen/Rubys have been doing business together for a while so I could see that being a factor and I cant see them suddenly changing all this.

Maybe if they do choose to redo Oxygen/Muldoons, then Harveys will go first, do the renovations, open and Oxygen closes for its renovations and Harveys takes the crowds..

Its all a theory but does kinda make sense.

Tox

It would make sense if the owners of harveys and the owner of oxygen didn't hate each other and kept trying to out do each other. Which of course gets that bit harder when you don't have any money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Will people stop going on about prices...blame the brewries blame the government...but if you're paying for bands/DJs/Security/Exemptions in the centre of town, your hands are tied. Sometimes people just sound like little kids demanding cheaper drink....and then you wonder why there are so many bars and clubs closing in this country.

I do understand that there are added expenses to running a late-night city centre bar (than say an urban bar), and that justifies a higher price on a pint. Added to the Govt. tax this really pushes a lot of publicans to the brink. But do you really think that justifys the prices being charged by some of the places in town? I still find that hard to believe. I recently posted the CSOs most recent figures on the average price of a pint in Dublin and the prices in some of the places here were way above those. Surely Waterford publicans cannot be subject to higher costs for bands/DJs/Secutiry etc than those in Dublin???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

thank god for Elec Ave and those type bars... Otherwise Waterford would have no choice at all..

Rubys, Oxygen, Harveys are all basically the same thing.. Kids Disco's!
    with the same music week in week out and overpirced drink, why on earth would pints price go up as the night goes on?

Harveys are the worst for this, no wonder they are planning 4m renovations... I wont be too sad when any of those places closes because they have conned people long enough with their crazy prices for drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

I think everyone goes through phases of diff bars that they like so the pubs manage to stay in the loop. As soon as you give up on 1 place and they loose your business, there'll be other crowds who deicde they love that place...so it keeps going. Thats what I find with Waterford anyway. I think all the people who were sick of Muldoons moved onto Harveys... people who were sick of the Forum moved onto Electric Avenue... people who were sick of/grew out of Rubys moved onto the Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

savic04 wrote: »
    thank god for Elec Ave and those type bars... Otherwise Waterford would have no choice at all..

Rubys, Oxygen, Harveys are all basically the same thing.. Kids Disco's!
    with the same music week in week out and overpirced drink, why on earth would pints price go up as the night goes on?

Harveys are the worst for this, no wonder they are planning 4m renovations... I wont be too sad when any of those places closes because they have conned people long enough with their crazy prices for drink.

Where does this happen?

Adyx wrote: »
    Where does this happen?

Revolution increase their prices after midnight. They have a price list as you go in the door, it has 2 columns - one set of prices before 12, and another set of prices after 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Was in Ruby Lounge last night packed when I went in there and good band which makes it more enjoyable. Peters out when the band finishes around 1.30ish but still as previous posters said it is too small with no expansion available with the woodman beside it.
    Just a tip that I do when I'm in there is buy your drink in the Woodman and not in the Lounge as:
    1) You're not queuing for ages
    2)Drink is nearly a euro cheaper well on a bottle of Heineken it is. 6.50 in Ruby Lounge, 5.60 in Woodman. Sure you have to go to the jacks in there so kill two birds with one stone and get drinks on way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Where does this happen?
    Happens in Ruby Lounge, Kazbar, Electric Avenue to name but a few. I'd imagine it's in all the late bars?

AdMMM wrote: »
    Happens in Ruby Lounge, Kazbar, Electric Avenue to name but a few. I'd imagine it's in all the late bars?

I thought the other poster meant prices went up continuously (like every hour or so). Doesn't happen in Muldoon's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Where does this happen?
    harvey's do it aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Am I right in saying that they're not allowed do that? As far as I'm aware, a pub can't temporarily increase their prices unless it's for the duration of the day. So if a pub increases their prices at midnight, then the increase has to be in place until midnight the next day.

Am I right in saying that they're not allowed do that? As far as I'm aware, a pub can't temporarily increase their prices unless it's for the duration of the day. So if a pub increases their prices at midnight, then the increase has to be in place until midnight the next day.

do you mean midnight to midday? cos midnight to midnight would be 24 hours..? if it is midnight to midday then that would probably work for most pubs as they dont open that early anyway.

i doubt its illegal if they have the pre 12am and post 12am signs on the door?

• Advertisement

It's the other way around actually. They can't temporarily decrease their prices unless it's for a significant period (probably not less than a day). As long as there are signs with all the prices on it, it's perfectly legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

reason for higher prices in bars after midnight is a €520 charge for late opening - and i suppose security staff and dj
    they dont come cheap despite the recession!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

foxylad wrote: »
    reason for higher prices in bars after midnight is a €520 charge for late opening - and i suppose security staff and dj
    they dont come cheap despite the recession!

No but they do come cheaper, competition and all so you'd think this should also be reflected in the drink prices

drink before you go out, problemo solved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I hate paying extra after midnight, thats why I love the forum, even better now that drink is down in price and its free before midnight, you'd be mad to pay extra in a late bar in town, get real!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

But as I was told by someone here, The forum only has a certain kind of music choice Rock Indie Etc, Thats ok if your into that kind of music dosent cater for everyone, and most of the sheep in Waterford wont walk to that side of the town:)

its still a good night out tho, i bought my friends up there a few weeks ago and she is totally anti indie and rock , and she said it was the best night out she had in waterford in ages, none of the stupid idiots you get in p-oxygen annoying ya and stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I usually liked trying out different places every time I go out, but since the Forum have introduced the free entry before 12 I've stuck with them. Usually the place is dead until 12.30-12.45, but by 11.45 last Saturday it was buzzing. Great music and the price of drink isn't that bad either (3.50 for a bottle of Miller).

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

can't beat the guesthouse on barrack st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

From the sounds the lads are makin back home Waterfords nightlife is on the up and up so it is.
    The boys said there was sone craic in rubys on the weekend so they did.

Advertisement