Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax Relief Refused - What Now?

• 14-07-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi,

I applied for tax reflief via the Med 1 form.

My son has dslxyia and he had treatment carried out to the tune of 4k. The treatment carried out was done by certified psychotherapists.

I intially applied via the med 1 form saying " psychotherepy treatment". I was then asked to produce reciepts which i did.

I have now recieved a letter saying "This reief cannot be allowed as the Medical Expenses clamied does not qualify for tax relief"

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 277 ✭✭misspiggy40

That does sound harsh.

First, was the treatment recommended by a doctor or consultant. See below.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it6.html

The bit about 'what qualifies'.

Second check what the appeal procedure is and follow up on that. Sometimes your query is handled by a pencil pusher....no offence intended.....and may not be fully investigated.

Finally, dont forget you can only claim back up to the amount of tax you actually paid in the year in question.......just a by the way.

Don't give up too easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

"In the case of a psychologist/psychotherapist, relief can only be allowed where the psychologist/psychotherapist is a qualified practitioner as defined by Section 469 TCA 1997 or where a patient is referred by a psychiatrist for a diagnostic procedure."

Reply and ask them to tell you whyrelief has been refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Where relief has been denied you are entitled IN WRITING to why it has been so declined- ask for this and come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

exaisle wrote: »
    "In the case of a psychologist/psychotherapist, relief can only be allowed where the psychologist/psychotherapist is a qualified practitioner as defined by Section 469 TCA 1997 or where a patient is referred by a psychiatrist for a diagnostic procedure."

Reply and ask them to tell you whyrelief has been refused.

I got in contact with the person who processed the claim. She said that above was the reason. I contacted place that carried out the treatment and they said that they have never heard of any being refused before.

Is there anyway around this ie: letter from my doctor? Appeal etc?

Thanks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 277 ✭✭misspiggy40

Section 469 says that a practitioner is anyone who is 'registered in the register established under section 26 of the Medical Practitioners act,1978'.

So, first, is the person you have the bill from registered themselves??? If so they should be able to give you evidence of registration and that should clear up the Revenue query.

Second, if your doc referred you, that letter should clear it up.

Get your facts and ring that person again. Discuss the above and if you get no joy, ask for appeal procedure or ask for a superior.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress. I am sure many people are interested.
    FullOf..IT wrote: »
    I got in contact with the person who processed the claim. She said that above was the reason. I contacted place that carried out the treatment and they said that they have never heard of any being refused before.

Is there anyway around this ie: letter from my doctor? Appeal etc?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Possible alternative...

If the practitioner was not registered under Section 26 and advertised that their service was tax deductible you could sue for false advertising :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Sleepershark

always

Advertisement