Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Countdown To Results Day *** (Random Chat here only please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Nah I heard that they cannot bring your result down... It can only stay the same or go up.
    No. For the LC the result can go up or down. You can appeal it a second time though, if it was to go down.

For the JC they can only bring the result up.

I appealed my English result last year. I was only 0.25% away from the higher grade, but I didn't go up! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I did not know that! I thought it can only go up but I guess I was wrong!
    Can a result be downgraded on appeal?
    Yes. The results published in August are provisional and accordingly a result can be downgraded in certain circumstances. This is because the appeal process exists to ensure that the marking scheme was fully and properly applied to the work produced at the examination. Consistent and fair application of the marking schemes ensures equitable treatment for all candidates.
    In what circumstances can a downgrade occur?
    A downgrade could result automatically if a candidate loses sufficient marks for any of the following factual/technical reasons:-

1. there is a clear error in the summation of marks, incorrect inclusion of marks, (e.g., credit given for a question or part of a question that should have been disallowed),and/or,
    2. the candidate has been awarded marks for an answer that is clearly and unambiguously not in accordance with the marking scheme.
    In addition, a Chief Examiner can recommend a downgrade where the reduction in marks derives from an error of judgement by the examiner (as distinct from (a) and (b) above). In such circumstances a downgrade would not normally occur where there is a marginal difference. In other words, a revised lower mark is only reckoned where the Chief Examiner considers it to be in line with what would be awarded by the generality of examiners.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

yes only appeal your results if you think you will go up or if you are a good few marks from the threshold, i know someone who had like 82.5% in one of their subjects, thought they did better and got it checked and then got taken down to 78 or 79% and lost 5 points!! so the advice our teachers gave us was to not attempt to get them rechecked if your result is near the thresholds!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

19 days until results!
    oh.. my.. God. The time flew..****:rolleyes:
    I dont like the fact that i cant actually change it now.. like before i was like "Ok.. i just have to make sure to put extra study into math/bio/geog" but now i cant fix it... i dont like this feeling!:o

oh, if you guys appeal make sure you get your teacher to look over your script with you. my biology teacher said that one year her student got asked "why was the cover slip applied?" and the student asnwered "to stop the sample drying out" but because the examiner was looking for "to prevent the sample drying out" she didnt give her the marks. its mad. it means the same thing, shes still right! so get the teacher to look over your script because you could get a stupid marker like that who completly down-graded you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

oh, if you guys appeal make sure you get your teacher to look over your script with you. my biology teacher said that one year her student got asked "why was the cover slip applied?" and the student asnwered "to stop the sample drying out" but because the examiner was looking for "to prevent the sample drying out" she didnt give her the marks. its mad. it means the same thing, shes still right! so get the teacher to look over your script because you could get a stupid marker like that who completly down-graded you!

Thats beyond rediculous and I would seriously not believe that was the case. Stop and prevent are synonyms of one another or unless the examiner has a limited vocabulary. Different books word things differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Are teachers usually there on the day you check your scripts?

Liam O wrote: »
    Our teachers said that if we want them to be with us to view a script that theyd be happy to and to just get the principal or office to give them a ring with the details and theyll head down.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Liam O wrote: »
    No they aren't. However if you request them to be there they usually will assist you in any way they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

god you guys are really freaking out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Thats beyond rediculous and I would seriously not believe that was the case. Stop and prevent are synonyms of one another or unless the examiner has a limited vocabulary. Different books word things differently.

No actually our teacher gave an example like this as well. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. Stop means to bring to a halt, prevent means to avoid it ever happening. I agree it is as harsh as **** tho!!

• Advertisement

No actually our teacher gave an example like this as well. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. Stop means to bring to a halt, prevent means to avoid it ever happening. I agree it is as harsh as **** tho!!

But in that case stop fits perfectly into the conondrum as you placed the cover slip over the microscopic slide in order to bring the drying of the sample to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

I think more importantly we have 26 days left!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I think more importantly we have 26 days left!:eek:

Until...?? :confused:

sorry i meant 24days til the cao results they decide more while the lc results are just relative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

sorry i meant 24days til the cao results they decide more while the lc results are just relative

Ahhh....its 23 ;)

well at least now I know Ive most likely failed maths and probably accounting says that involves counting days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Bring these results on, its killing me knowing all my papers are corrected now and all that!

Bring them on, get it over with, start college all in good time. Oh, and get drunk a little in between

Talk of appeals up above, if your appealing, for god sakes, view your paper beforehand to get a rough idea about whether its worth it.

Thw viewing times this year are
    28th August; 18.00-21.00
    29th August; 09.00-12.00 and 14.00-17.00

Afaik all higher level papers are automatically sent back to the school but ordinary level ones have to be requested

timmywex wrote: »
    Oh, and get drunk a lot in between

Just fixing a typo:P

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

i had a nightmare that i failed mexican when i got the results, which i later found out that not only is it not a leaving cert subject, but it is also not a language! read into that what you will! but seriously I'm ****ting it.... ABSOLUTELY!

also, the appeals.. where do you go to view your papers? like where are they kept and do ya have to make an appointment??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

i had a nightmare that i failed mexican when i got the results, which i later found out that not only is it not a leaving cert subject, but it is also not a language! read into that what you will! but seriously I'm ****ting it.... ABSOLUTELY!

also, the appeals.. where do you go to view your papers? like where are they kept and do ya have to make an appointment??

Your guidance counsellor should be there on the day you receive your results so if you have any qualms you should talk to him/her and they will advise you further.

I know there's a certain date you can actually view your scripts but I can't think what it is off the top of my head. Your guidance counsellor will know this though.

I'm waiting for CAO too. I applied for a course in Dundalk and am just waiting to see if I got in or not. I reckon I will. I have more than enough points for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

It's not so much the results, as the offers that are bothering me, bit worried about that, but can only wait and see.
    As for rechecks and veiwing a paper, you are able to bring someon in with you, ie. a parent or teacher. It is also a good idea to bring in the break down of grades sheet so you can see how far from the next grade you are and so know if it would be wise to get it re marked.
    For exmaple Geography is marked out of 500, and to get and A1 you need something like 425/500, and for an A2 it's 399-424/500. I personally wouldn't be getting rechecked unless I was within 5 or so marks of the next grade and really needed th points.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It's not so much the results, as the offers that are bothering me, bit worried about that, but can only wait and see.
    As for rechecks and veiwing a paper, you are able to bring someon in with you, ie. a parent or teacher. It is also a good idea to bring in the break down of grades sheet so you can see how far from the next grade you are and so know if it would be wise to get it re marked.
    For exmaple Geography is marked out of 500, and to get and A1 you need something like 425/500, and for an A2 it's 399-424/500. I personally wouldn't be getting rechecked unless I was within 5 or so marks of the next grade and really needed th points.

Couldn't agree more. I know someone who went to get their history paper rechecked and she was unfortunately dragged down a few marks.
    Talk to your teacher and guidance counsellor about it. Rechecks can go either way just remember that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

I think it would actually kill me to look at my stupid mistakes again lol!
    But a girl in my school went up two grades in Irish last year so I suppose it has its benefits!:D

So....

15 days!!

Still have yet to find a pastime....

Jammyc wrote: »
    So....

15 days!!

Still have yet to find a pastime....

You could count up all the posts you did in the leaving cert forum and calculate how long you spent on this which should have been spent on the studying, now that's what I call a pastime! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'm starting to late in bed later so that the day seems shorter, works kinda....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i am not really thinking about it, what's done can not be undone . not looking forward to it, imainly because i know everything will change from that day on...

i am really enjoying my summer..just didn't have to worry about anything..

You got it slighty wrong there.

For geography, ( handy reference as a good crowd do the subject):

450-500 marks A1
    425-449 marks A2
    400-424 marks B1
    375-399 marks B2
    350-374 marks B3
    325-349 marks C1
    300-324 marks C2
    275-299 marks C3
    250-274 marks D1
    225-249 marks D2
    200-224 marks D3

under 200 marks is a fail grade.

JSK 252 wrote: »
    You got it slighty wrong there.

For geography, ( handy reference as a good crowd do the subject):

450-500 marks A1
    425-449 marks A2
    400-424 marks B1
    375-399 marks B2
    350-374 marks B3
    325-349 marks C1
    300-324 marks C2
    275-299 marks C3
    250-274 marks D1
    225-249 marks D2
    200-224 marks D3

under 200 marks is a fail grade.

Thanks, knew I was a bit off. I don't even do Geography, my Mam corrected it and I just remembered seeing the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm not worried at all.
    Like, at all. I'm really apathetic tbh.

My Summer's turned out to be waaaaaaaaaay too good, I don't want it to end :(

Advertisement