Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

african music

Options
  • 14-07-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

sorry if this is posted in wrong place but couldnt find anything suitable neough. im looking for some good african music,not sure what the correct term is. if anyone ever saw the film the power of one, well thats the kind of music im looking for but cant fint that soundtrack anywhere.

iv no idea where to start so if anyone has any recommendations id be very grateful for a starting point.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Never seen Power of One or heard the soundtrack.. but try out Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

There's a few others I listen to but I can't remember the names off the top of my head unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

cool thanks very much. il give it a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Rachid Taha
    Amadou & Mariam
    Bedouin Soundclash
    Richard Bona

If you like Ladysmith Black Mambazo I would recommend pickiung up some African collections. There are loads of them and should be in any big record store under world music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

To get your hands on a great compilation for free, search the following link for
    "All Africa Radio"

http://bazooka81.livejournal.com/700.html

also check out the mahotella queens and orchestra baobab.

Also check out the ethiopiques series of CD's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Haven't seen the film but I think Fela Kuti is a great artist.

His songs are very long but very good. Check out songs like "Zombie", "Water No Get Enemy", "Alagbon Close" and "Monday Morning in Lagos".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Haven't seen the film but I think Fela Kuti is a great artist.

His songs are very long but very good. Check out songs like "Zombie", "Water No Get Enemy", "Alagbon Close" and "Monday Morning in Lagos".
    +1 on Fela. One of the best artists in general, African or not. Started the whole Africa-funk movement. Heavily influenced by James brown.

To be honest, your best bet is to sign up to Last.fm and search there. Words from strangers are no alternative to hearing stuff yourself and seeing what you like. There is a MASSIVE amount of African music, a whole continents worth in fact, so go explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

Passingthrough is the reason for you looking for african music is because you're a dj?? I only ask because i did a couple of jobs for the african community last year where i'm from and all they wanted was african music ( obviously ). Thing is though, they had a world of it themselves so they just gave me their cd's to play and i gave them back afterwards.
    So if it is one these gigs you're doing, ask the organiser to try and sort it out
    with the african guys to get you some african music.
    If you're not a dj and i'm after assuming all of this, then i look like a twat:(
    I'm just thinking back to the last time i was in search of african music.
    I tell you, some music it is too. They have so much more fun when they dance. Shake that booty:p:p
    Good luck in your search either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Ali Farka Touré and Afel Bocoum.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

wow thats a lot of recommendations, thanks very much everyone and davylee im sorry but im not a dj, just like the music,

thanks again everyone, il get listening

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Definatelty check out culoe de song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Both of Tinariwen's albums are worth owning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Theres a shop that sells African ornaments etc on Liffey street, and they always have african music blarin as you walk by, maybe try there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Habib Koite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Both of Tinariwen's albums are worth owning.

They supported the stones at slane a few years ago, and were pretty impresssive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Groovalizacion

there is a actually great selection african music on our radio
    http://www.groovalizacion.com/
    it's mixed with a lot of other world music
    enjoy !

Advertisement