Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New motorway signs up already...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

R is for regional roads that link small towns together so they would appear on M signs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

You'd think they could go the extra little bit and scratch together a Motorway font R.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I hope they remember to join the dots on those yellow lines :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

spacetweek wrote: »
    Pity the picture is so bad. Can't read it at all. :(

Are these clear enough for you? :D! took some this evening only J13 signs erected, no signs northbound btw. The M18 is approaching :). See the last photo I have that in blurred slighly after j13 just follow the photobucket link to see in the album.

DSC02330.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

DSC02332.jpg

DSC02333.jpg

Blunt, feel free to upload any to wiki if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I wonder when the delineation will take place. The cats eyes need to be removed first. Line painting is very fast, as is the re-studding. I remember when the Cashel bypass was modified last year it was close for two nights to facilitate the initial removal of the studs.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Was down Wicklow way yesterday. No motorway signs up yet for either the Rathnew or Arklow bypass sections, but poles are evident for the start/end of motorway restrictions signs on the mainline and slip roads.

When I was down there a few weeks ago (before the redesignations were announced), the Gorey bypass had much more poles up and ready, so there may be blue signage down there by now.

/csd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Furet wrote: »
    Do the new M8 signs southbound have the airport marked?

Also, any changes at Dunkettle?

I turned at the Glanmire exit and saw no change on the south bound signs from there. Dunkettle hadn't been touched either (Sunday). Signs on the SRR still refer to Dublin N8.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

csd wrote: »

When I was down there a few weeks ago (before the redesignations were announced), the Gorey bypass had much more poles up and ready, so there may be blue signage down there by now.

/csd

A few blue M11 Motorway signs were up at the southern end of the Gorey bypass on Sunday last.

The end of motorway signs at various junctions on the M20 have now had black plastic put over them which is probably just as well when the road is not officially motorway yet.

A lot of work going on at the traffic islands at various junctions such as Dooradoyle - looks like removable sockets have been put in for the poles for the new signs, also seems to be some cable for lighting them (I'm guessing this is probably just for possible future enhancement rather than something they'll be installing atm, but you never know).

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Colm R wrote: »
    The 2km advance sign went up for junction 3 on the M2 northbound today.
    Swords, Ratoath and Ashbourne.
    Its not going to be Ashbourne South as hoped. Ah well!

Passed it today and it IS labelled "Ashbourne (South)". Looks like they stuck it on after it went up, possibly after a recent email suggestion to the NRA that was deemed to have "merit".

That's right: I'm taking credit for "Ashbourne (South)".....

• Advertisement

Hah - that's even better than getting BBC to change online news stories in minutes once you point out incorrect details (one wonders how they properly fact-check one's "corrections").

Wikipedia is so passé - now you can collaboratively edit Irish road signs :)

I went for a spin outside the city this evening and came across more M20 signs on the northbound carriageway. Also to note half the ADS is put up for J3 on the mainline as well.

Approaching the M20
    DSC02335.jpg

J4 ADS 1km
    DSC02336.jpg

M20 distance sign
    DSC02338.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nice to see Limerick getting its first motorways. And they remembered the chopsticks on the ADS! In fact, from the pictures you've shown so far, the M20 looks like being a model of TSM-compliance (in so far that we know what the TSM is at the moment...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Agreed with sentiments above.

The M20 signage is excellent. It's really nice to see the M7 signed as well.

They're going to have to cut down some trees though - some of the other new poles are even more hidden than the sign in the first photo above.

It's certainly looking very good so far. I'm somewhat biased in being on the road regularly, but I consider it a particularly decent piece of motorway for all its short length. Good surface, good junctions, experience both being above the countryside and in cuttings, nice gradual curves making it an interesting route. This section of the N20 really does give a feel of having been built "properly".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Have a look at the middle sign in Tech2's post, there are a few like that on the M8 which are very hard to see at night with headlights on them. They a are actually 'black' for a spell when passing them at night.

X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

is that first pic taken on the N21?

Unless the sign is in completely the wrong place, then yes, the first photo is on the N21 approaching the N20/N21/R526 junction on N21 eastbound (heading to N20 northbound). The fork on the sign only mentions N20 south destinations and doesn't mention the R526 or its destinations as these are more properly reached from the subsequent J4 (although that will be on the M20, so perhaps Patrickswell/Limerick/R526 should be on the first sign for J3 also for the benefit of non-motorway traffic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Did Galway - Cork today by bus, had the camera with me. I got far more excited about going on the M18 than I would admit to anyone in real life.

CIMG1103.jpg

CIMG1104.jpg

CIMG1105.jpg

CIMG1106.jpg

CIMG1107.jpg

Oops
    CIMG1108.jpg

CIMG1109.jpg

CIMG1110.jpg

CIMG1111.jpg

CIMG1112.jpg

CIMG1113.jpg

• Advertisement

The lads were hard at work :D

CIMG1114.jpg

Onto the M20 now

CIMG1115.jpg

CIMG1116.jpg

CIMG1117.jpg

CIMG1118.jpg

They seem to be putting the end of motorway signs in the correct places too!! Wow.

Also saw Dunkettle on the M8 and while there are no Start Of Motorway signs, you can just make out a blue distance sign in this pic.

CIMG1121.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

They seem to be putting the end of motorway signs in the correct places too!! Wow.

Not by the looks of things - those ones seem to be about half way up the off ramps. They should be right at the end.

mackerski wrote: »
    Not by the looks of things - those ones seem to be about half way up the off ramps. They should be right at the end.

Those are the "End of Motorway - 100m" signs.

I think there are regular "End of Motorway" signs at the end of the slip-road. If that's the case then the signage is correct.

Did Galway - Cork today by bus, had the camera with me. I got far more excited about going on the M18 than I would admit to anyone in real life.

CIMG1109.jpg

Yay they put up the M18 sign on top of that one I took a few days ago! Thanks Chris excellent photos! Did you see any of Gort-Crusheen while you were passing? I must go up there in a few weeks to see what the progress is like lately.

I saw a good bit of G-C too, a lot of earthworks has been done since I was there last and they seem to be doing more to the Barefield bridge too. Also there was a digger going great guns on a big pile of earth, even during the builders holidays.

I was on the wrong side of the bus for G-C pics, but I'll make sure to sit on the correct side on the way back up again :D

I was on the wrong side of the bus for G-C pics, but I'll make sure to sit on the correct side on the way back up again :D

... and the majority of the signs on the M20 as well cause there on the northbound carriageway :D.

Speaking of M20 I think J3 has its ADS up now on the mainline on the northbound carriageway. I just took a glance on the rear mirror while I was heading southbound this evening! I might get a few more when I'm heading up to work on Monday.

• Advertisement

Thats the Galway one isnt it? I think I saw them putting that one up.

Thats the Galway one isnt it? I think I saw them putting that one up.

Yeah thats the one alright where it leads to M20 single carriageway! That sign should be changed when the Limerick tunnel is completed for the N18 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

tech2 wrote: »
    Yeah thats the one alright where it leads to M20 single carriageway! That sign should be changed when the Limerick tunnel is completed for the N18 as well.

The tunnel section itself should be N18, not N7.

DLR: The way they're having it as N7 makes sense, with the dual carriageway mainline switch from N7 to N18 out on the Ennis road rather than at an intermediate point on the southern ring road.

I'm curious to see the signs for J3 on the M20, I would not have expected them to have Galway etc. on them considering that SRR phase 2 completion is only a year or so away. If it is, they'll simply have to replace it again. Also, if they have put those destinations on temporarily, I wonder have they included N69 this time - it was omitted before only to end up with a silly temporary plastic sign on wooden poles for years.

I didnt get a good look at it but yes, Galway was signed as was Shannon etc. I thought the same as realistically, Rossbrien - Dock Rd will probably have to open long before the tunnel, as you cant really build the Rossbrien junction without removing the M20 - Childers road movement first. With that closed, they kinda have to have access to the Dock Road without taking the current mad diversion.

Unfortunately the sign wont be there for long before being changed :(

• Advertisement

N69 is indeed on the sign for J3. It's the further away sign that is up - there are empty poles for the nearer sign.

Saw the further away sign on northbound M20 for J2 going up this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Zoney wrote: »
    DLR: The way they're having it as N7 makes sense, with the dual carriageway mainline switch from N7 to N18 out on the Ennis road rather than at an intermediate point on the southern ring road.

I think N18 would make more sense tbh, continuous Atlantic Corridor 20-18-17. No 7 in the middle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

An excellent professional job with no dodgy 'it'll be grand' signs half way up the poles (like only in Ireland you'll ever see)

Well done to all on the M18 and M20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

They've put up all the signs on the M8 now. They even put up a correct sign on the South side of the Lee Tunnel.

However, a few of the signs going northbound on the M8 are obscured by shrubery which will need to be cut back.

They've put up all the signs on the M8 now. They even put up a correct sign on the South side of the Lee Tunnel.

Good stuff.

Have the signs approaching Dunkettle on the M8 southbound been replaced (the ones with independent illumination and the "flaps")?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Here's the new advance warning sign for exit 3 of the M2, with "Ashbourne (South)" as suggested by yours truly:

AshSouthSign.jpg

They're installing a single gantry sign just after this today, so the much-maligned two-sign gantry will soon be gone.

DSCF9853.jpg

DSCF9854.jpg

DSCF9856.jpg

DSCF9857.jpg

DSCF9858.jpg

DSCF9860.jpg

DSCF9862.jpg

DSCF9863.jpg

DSCF9864.jpg

DSCF9865.jpg

DSCF9866.jpg

DSCF9867.jpg

DSCF9868.jpg

DSCF9869.jpg

DSCF9870.jpg

DSCF9871.jpg

DSCF9872.jpg

DSCF9874.jpg

DSCF9875.jpg

DSCF9876.jpg

DSCF9877.jpg

DSCF9878.jpg

DSCF9879.jpg

DSCF9880.jpg

DSCF9881.jpg

No change to the South Ring, no end of motorway signs up, and annoying grass growth obscuring many signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

...and the flap-board signs are still green as I expected they would be.

And the horrible "M8 (Toll)" signs are still up, as its no longer the start of the motorway they should remove them and do whats done on the M50 (the new Toll symbol is painted on the ground).

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    ...and the flap-board signs are still green as I expected they would be.

I suspected they'd be left too. I don't think they'll bother replacing them, too much effort, money etc.

Though, unless I'm mistaken, I think the second last picture used to be a flap style sign beforehand.
    And the horrible "M8 (Toll)" signs are still up, as its no longer the start of the motorway they should remove them and do whats done on the M50 (the new Toll symbol is painted on the ground).

I suspect the hideous "M8 (Toll)" signage present in that photo will be removed. But unfortunately, there's little chance of any other ones changing unless the NRA gets directly involved, because Direct Route seem to feel their made up signage is perfectly adequate.

And now, to say thanks to Furet for the great pictures.

A few comments:

-I'm liking the consistent use of the "toll" symbol.
    -The "E201" thing looks pretty ugly and awkward on the Cork "12km" picture. It gets the job done, but it should've been integrated into the actual sign. Placed on top, it looks rather silly.
    - Some of those pictures show the low-cost "replacement" for the cantilever. But I think they do an excellent job, and should be rolled out where cantilevers cannot be afforded.
    - WHY have they greyed over the thing saying "M8"... it just baffles me completely. If they're trying to hide the fact it's a motorway, cover the "chopsticks" instead.
    - Hmm... is that patching I see at Dunkettle or are those new signs?

No, the flap sign is still there and probably won't be changed

BluntGuy wrote: »
    - Hmm... is that patching I see at Dunkettle or are those new signs?

I think it's one-third new signage. Those signs are assembled from three panels. The topmost panel was the only one that needed to be amended, so I think they just got a new one rather than patched it. Very annoying that nothing on the south ring proper has been changed though.

Furet wrote: »
    DSCF9880.jpg

Who designed this atrocity and what part of "all directional signage, other than standalone brown tourist signs, and at terminal junctions, should be BLUE background" do they not understand?

I'd hazard a guess that the top (green) panel is the original and the blue bit underneath is new. They may still change the top panel but guesswork says they wont :(

icdg wrote: »
    Who designed this atrocity and what part of "all directional signage, other than standalone brown tourist signs, and at terminal junctions, should be BLUE background" do they not understand?

Should each road be surrounding in a small green box as they are not motorways on that sign ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Should each road be surrounding in a small green box as they are not motorways on that sign ?
    No. No patching allowed in this case on the mainline.

murphaph wrote: »
    No. No patching allowed in this case on the mainline.

I find it odd that they patch with blue on a national route sign but don't patch with green or white on a motorway sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭nordydan

Still no signs up on the redeisgnated N3 section. Came down that way yesterday

• Advertisement

I find it odd that they patch with blue on a national route sign but don't patch with green or white on a motorway sign.

The Anderson Committee report that prescribed the original design of the UK's (and by extension, Ireland's) motorway directional signs, did not include patching. When the Warboys Committee designed new signs for all of the UK's roads, they allowed patching of road numbers only on non-motorway roads but not on motorways, oddly enough. The Guildford Rules (introduced in the UK in 1994 and near-instantaniously imported over here!) allow patching of destinations as well as just road numbers as was originally the case, but still don't allow it on motorways.

I think it is to do with making motorway signs be more easily read at high speed, really. Practically all of our directional signage design, with the exception of the more recent style of gantry signs and some of our other recent innovations in motorway signage (the "Next Exit" and "Exit" gore signs) are copied directly from the UK's standards, with a bit of tweaking and of course our use of bilingualism.

As for that sign, yeah it would appear to be the case that the top panel is from the original sign. To me it appeared as if they were one sign! How odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement