Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New motorway signs up already...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Tis quare alright. Chris, I don't know how you took pictures of road signage in a car with two other people there too. Road enthusiasm is my dirty little secret; no one else would understand. Well, no one apart from you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Speaking of ugly gantries, anyone got a snap of the new ones on the M2? I heard they've replaced them with new single panel ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Studs being removed on the N20 today - there was one lane closed between J3 and J4 - assumed at first it was an incorrectly signed hard shoulder closure (though I thought it odd to have signs every 200m from 1km in advance) but no, the inside lane was closed too - illuminated sign truck parked in it. I wouldn't have thought it that sensible for someone to be sitting in that (in case it was rear-ended despite the massive flashing arrow), but there was! Traffic was heavy enough in both lanes and a lot of merging going on in that last km so I really wouldn't have liked to be working on the site - wouldn't have felt safe at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Furet wrote: »
    Tis quare alright. Chris, I don't know how you took pictures of road signage in a car with two other people there too. Road enthusiasm is my dirty little secret; no one else would understand. Well, no one apart from you guys.

"People on the forum want pictures of the new blue signs"

"Ooookkkkkkkkkkk..... 840.gif"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Re-lining going on on the M2 today. New studs are already in place inside the line - I suspect KevR might not be too happy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Come on folks! It will be alright on the night. I do lie awake at night worrying about that R font thingy mind you.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

The last Gantry southbound on the M2 is entirely green with white patch for the exit as this is where the M2 becomes N2 at the exit for Blanch at St. Magarets.

So technically they did not have to replace the original gantry with overhead signs for all lanes as the colour did not need to change. But they did change it to have one green sign covering the two southbound lanes and one white sign covering the exit.

So if the did that on the N2, why was the N25 not fixed westbound at Dunkettle. Useless!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Colm R wrote: »
    So if the did that on the N2, why was the N25 not fixed westbound at Dunkettle. Useless!!

Because Cork is not in Fingal Co.Co.s area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Northbound Gorey by pass now has continuous yellow line..

Some work is needed Southbound on the Arklow bypass (see below) :)

img_3985.jpg

img_3995.jpg

img_3996.jpg

img_3998.jpg

img_3999.jpg

img_4012.jpg

img_4013.jpg

• Advertisement

Bit of bush-cutting required. Wicklow Co Co are notoriously poor at that. Also notice the NDP (1999 - 2006) signs are still littering the road ten years after it opened.

Do they plan to leave these up till they are finally hit by a truck or flying car? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Noted that the continuous yellow line has been applied to the redesignated section of the N3.

BTW is the Arklow bypass a motorway?

Most of it will be, from Junction 20 to the end of the Gorey bypass at Clogh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Still nothing done with the section of the Clonee Bypass that will become M3.

Wil be taking the M4/M6 tommorow so may take a small few minutes diversion onto the McNeads Bridge scheme and see what they've done there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

icdg wrote: »

As I mentioned above, the continuous yellow line on the hard shoulder. However, this section of road can not become a motorway until further work on the new M3 is complete. So I doubt if they'll bother with any further changes until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

jd wrote: »
    Most of it will be, from Junction 20 to the end of the Gorey bypass at Clogh.

Probably to the rugby club exit that hopefully will be removed as part of the Arklow-Rathnew PPP scheme

nordydan wrote: »
    Probably to the rugby club exit that hopefully will be removed as part of the Arklow-Rathnew PPP scheme

We were in arklow town yesterday, and the signs from arklow (north) on to the N(M)11 have been changed at jct 20. South is signposted M11, north is signposted N11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

So ....... 10 more days to go before redesignation.

The only route I havnt seen pics of is the M7 phase 1 Limerick bypass. Although I have been told there was work going on around the N24 junction last night. I might have a look to see later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Has anyone any insight into what the guards attitude to the blue signs is? (I'm in Ireland for a week next week and will be up and down the country quite a bit)
    i.e. does blue sign = effective applied 120kmh limit even though the law hasnt quite come into action yet?

I cant see the guards bothering to pull anyone for doing a motorway speed on what, to all intents and purposes, appears to be a motorway. The road is motorway standard and blue signs are mounted as on a motorway.
    Only those with an interest in roads and that would know when the law actually comes into force and that the blue signs are really fake green ones for the next 10 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Has anyone any insight into what the guards attitude to the blue signs is? (I'm in Ireland for a week next week and will be up and down the country quite a bit)
    i.e. does blue sign = effective applied 120kmh limit even though the law hasnt quite come into action yet?

I cant see the guards bothering to pull anyone for doing a motorway speed on what, to all intents and purposes, appears to be a motorway. The road is motorway standard and blue signs are mounted as on a motorway.
    Only those with an interest in roads and that would know when the law actually comes into force and that the blue signs are really fake green ones for the next 10 days!
    Lots of motorways have permanent signed speed limits other than 120km/h (M50, 100km/h mostly, less in the tunnel section). The guards should treat these stretches like any other until 120 signs go up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

On Athlone-Ballinasloe (soon to be) motorway almost everyone is driving at (or above in some cases) 120kmh. I haven't seen or heard of anyone being stopped for speeding on this stretch. I can't see them pulling anyone for 120kmh on any section which will be getting a 120kmh speed limit in a few more days.

tech2 wrote: »
    The only route I havnt seen pics of is the M7 phase 1 Limerick bypass. Although I have been told there was work going on around the N24 junction last night. I might have a look to see later on.

If you can, take a few snaps. It'll be interesting to see how well that atrocious junction is signed.

icdg wrote: »

Wil be taking the M4/M6 tommorow so may take a small few minutes diversion onto the McNeads Bridge scheme and see what they've done there...

I had to head up to Mullingar and back this afternoon, so took a quick detour to look for signs etc. The continuous yellow line was being painted, I'd say around 85% complete by 2pm today. The parts where the new signs were being put up were unpainted.
    Cats eyes are to the left, ie on the hard shoudler itself. No blue signs up at that point. Posts up for the end of motorway heading westbound but no blue signs.

When I came back down I exited at Kinnegad, at 3pm, they were putting up the signs for the M4 new onslip heading west.

This could all be finished by tomorrow at the very, very latest. Not a big job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

before the M8 was redesignated from cashel to Mitchelstown the Gaurds were very busy with the radar guns....especially after one Cork match in Thurles they were all over the place I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

BrianD wrote: »
    As I mentioned above, the continuous yellow line on the hard shoulder. However, this section of road can not become a motorway until further work on the new M3 is complete. So I doubt if they'll bother with any further changes until then.

My emphasis. The fact remains that, in the absence of additional legislation, it does become one on the 28th. And in the same way that the sections that are already blue-signed are not yes default 120 zones, come redesignation day, the Clonee Bypass will have a 120 limit - again, barring a bye-law or works order to prevent it.

Some signage for the M20

DSC02546.jpg

DSC02552.jpg

DSC02553.jpg

The last one was taken at the T junction just north of the roundabout north of Adare on the N21.

cc wrote: »
    before the M8 was redesignated from cashel to Mitchelstown the Gaurds were very busy with the radar guns....especially after one Cork match in Thurles they were all over the place I remember.

Malicious, insane beheaviour. :mad:

mackerski wrote: »
    My emphasis. The fact remains that, in the absence of additional legislation, it does become one on the 28th. And in the same way that the sections that are already blue-signed are not yes default 120 zones, come redesignation day, the Clonee Bypass will have a 120 limit - again, barring a bye-law or works order to prevent it.

I think they can 'not apply' it, whatever that means legally. Technically as it stands the Nenagh bypass is motorway NOW and tractors etc shouldnt be on it.

Some signage for the M20
    DSC02552.jpg

M20, M7 in brackets AND an L road. Nice :D

Some excellent pics. Signage on the redesignated stretches and the immediate vicinity seems to be of a superb standard.

I'm still worried that numerous local signs will be left saying "N-" instead of "M-" though.

• Advertisement

BluntGuy wrote: »
    If you can, take a few snaps. It'll be interesting to see how well that atrocious junction is signed.

No signage up at all. :(

No signage up at all. :(

Dang.

They have less than 10 days to get it done.

Is there any delineation work done on that stretch of N7, any signage what-so-ever?

I think they can 'not apply' it, whatever that means legally.

Legally, I think it means nothing at all, but it certainly seems clear what will happen - no enforcement of motorway regulations (which is reasonable) and very likely some tickets issued to drivers doing 120. Remember, this is down the road from Meath's first bus lane, which, before it went 24-hour, one Guard attempted to claim reverted to a secret hard shoulder when out of hours.

Some signage for the M20

DSC02546.jpg

What madness is this? A load of N numbers on a blue patch? :confused:

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Dang.

They have less than 10 days to get it done.

Is there any delineation work done on that stretch of N7, any signage what-so-ever?

No new signage whatsoever on the whole stretch, I don't know if there is some on the Ballysimon rd as I don't use it enough to see any changes.

The Catseyes have been removed and the new ones have been installed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Some signage for the M20

DSC02552.jpg

What do the 2 brown signs indicate? They look like rugby balls!

What madness is this? A load of N numbers on a blue patch? :confused:

The first two numbers are M7 and M20, and the third is the N21 which is accessed via the M20.
    chewed wrote: »
    What do the 2 brown signs indicate? They look like rugby balls!

The are rugby balls. They indicate the rugby grounds. The old signs had more space devoted to brown patches and had Old Crescent etc. on them. The N20 had entire "fork" map signs on the mainline in brown and white but the M20 signs only have small brown signs with the symbols and main destination on the junction (e.g. Patrickswell with symbols for petrol, B&B, food, etc., Dooradoyle has a flag for the nearby golf course and the rugby balls as seen)

Zoney wrote: »
    The first two numbers are M7 and M20, and the third is the N21 which is accessed via the M20.

Ah - I couldn't make out the Ms. Nonetheless, there's something wrong with having the N-number on blue. One of the drawbacks of brackets for "leading-to" is that you can only really represent one level of leading-to.

If the sign is trying to say "you can reach the N21 this way, but only via motorway", then the sign should somehow indicate the M20 as the main destination and the others as subservient to it. It doesn't really do this at present, though.

Ah - I couldn't make out the Ms. Nonetheless, there's something wrong with having the N-number on blue. One of the drawbacks of brackets for "leading-to" is that you can only really represent one level of leading-to.

If the sign is trying to say "you can reach the N21 this way, but only via motorway", then the sign should somehow indicate the M20 as the main destination and the others as subservient to it. It doesn't really do this at present, though.

In any case, the sign on that exit of the roundabout compounds the issue (indeed its incorrect) by being entirely blue with just those three numbers (there is also a white sign above it with the proper R road number and Raheen ind. estate). The motorway itself doesn't begin until the following roundabout (where the spur for J3 begins).

• Advertisement

In any case, the sign on that exit of the roundabout compounds the issue (indeed its incorrect) by being entirely blue with just those three numbers (there is also a white sign above it with the proper R road number and Raheen ind. estate). The motorway itself doesn't begin until the following roundabout (where the spur for J3 begins).

That should be valid, though, shouldn't it? The absence of chopsticks indicates that that motorway restrictions don't commence from that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Delineation works are taking place on the M8 Glanmire Bypass today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

What are the rules round patching? eg. green patching on Motorway signs, im thinking of the M1 near the border, at what stage on the motorway must patching be used, the last few signs are patched, why not the ones before that?

X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They should do it a bit like this:
    P1010109.JPG
    ...but with the N21 on a green patch within brackets within N20 brackets all on a blue background.

I can't explain it well so I've drawn a (ropey) sketch and attached it. I think that's the correct way, or at least the way they do it in the UK without commas)

xabi wrote: »
    What are the rules round patching? eg. green patching on Motorway signs, im thinking of the M1 near the border, at what stage on the motorway must patching be used, the last few signs are patched, why not the ones before that?

X.

Patching on the mainline of a motorway is only allowed on signs announcing the end of the motorway. The ones you refer to from the M1 all lead up to the terminal junction.

M20 start of motorway signs up on the on-slips. Greyed out for now. Strangely the signs either side are done symmetrically - so M20 -/\- on one side and -/\- M20 on the other.

• Advertisement

M20 start of motorway signs up on the on-slips. Greyed out for now. Strangely the signs either side are done symmetrically - so M20 -/\- on one side and -/\- M20 on the other.

Funny, not sure if I've seen it done like that before. If you can grab a snap at some stage, I'd just take a quick look. Strikes me as very odd. Though maybe it's been done before and I just haven't noticed. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There are a couple of sections of dual carriage way in Cork that remain N-designated but are 120km/h speed limits.

N22 - Ballincollig Bypass 11.2km
    N25 - Carrigtwohill Bypass (from Dunkettle Intersection to older Middleton Bypass)

Same thing on the M6 south of Mullingar (N52)

murphaph wrote: »
    They should do it a bit like this:
    P1010109.JPG
    ...but with the N21 on a green patch within brackets within N20 brackets all on a blue background.

I can't explain it well so I've drawn a (ropey) sketch and attached it. I think that's the correct way, or at least the way they do it in the UK without commas)

That signs wrong anyway as Galway is M6 now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sign dates from about the time of the first bit of N6 DC but in theory its been wrong since day 1 because of the little stub of M6 there was originally!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement