Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New motorway signs up already...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

That signs wrong anyway as Galway is M6 now ;)

The signs on the N4 toll are wrong too and they were put up by the people who built the first section of the M6....

Regarding the absense of chopsticks at the M4 at the Leixlip junction does that mean I can cycle to Castletown house this way.... :eek: ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Hi guys. Any of you ever spot a sign that gets everything right? Could we have a photo? :D

And speaking of photos, I tried to load one of a boootiful new sign on the N11 near Gorey but the upload didn't work. It said max size was 1MB thingy while my 10 MAGApixel camera wo't snap anything much less than 3MB. You folk must be using yeer telephones while driving.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    And speaking of photos, I tried to load one of a boootiful new sign on the N11 near Gorey but the upload didn't work. It said max size was 1MB thingy while my 10 MAGApixel camera wo't snap anything much less than 3MB. You folk must be using yeer telephones while driving.

you should be able to export the picture at a lower quality or smaller picture size.
    you should also be able to take a smaller size pic or lower quality pic in the camera itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Hi guys. Any of you ever spot a sign that gets everything right? Could we have a photo? :D

I have a 10MP camera but I have the settings adjusted so it's only taking 5MP pictures. I don't think you really need anymore than that unless you're printing a huge picture/poster!

Also, where were you trying to upload to? My pictures are usually bigger than 1MB and when I'm uploading to Photobucket it automatically reduces the size down to 1MB (you can set it to reduce it to a smaller size than this if you wish).

Not keen on lowering the quality as the pics are not taken for this site. I tried to load straight up from my PC. Don't know what photobucket is! :(

I have cropped one of my pics to lose pixels and see if that works.

Hey! it works........

attachment.php?attachmentid=88528&d=1250721404

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

KevR wrote: »
    I have a 10MP camera but I have the settings adjusted so it's only taking 5MP pictures. I don't think you really need anymore than that unless you're printing a huge picture/poster!

10MP isint needed unless the lens is extremely good. Thats the way retail shops con people into thinking having a 10MP is better than a 5MP but it doesnt make a difference if the lens is the same.

On the other hand, these photos are cropped from much bigger pics and blown up; wouldn't be as clear with less pixels if you did that. How do you get the picture to appear on the actual post - like Zoney's etc? :confused:

88529.JPGWell, that didn't work!0569-1.JPG[IMG]Nope - still nout :)[/img]88529&d=1250723150[IMG][/img]IMG 0569-1.JPG[IMG]Ongoing failures :D[/img]

On the other hand, these photos are cropped from much bigger pics and blown up; wouldn't be as clear with less pixels if you did that. How do you get the picture to appear on the actual post - like Zoney's etc? :confused:

put the image url in between these

inserthere

88529.JPG

This works (remove the space before the "]")
    88529.JPG

Not keen on lowering the quality as the pics are not taken for this site. I tried to load straight up from my PC. Don't know what photobucket is! :(

Photobucket is just a photo hosting website. You can create an account, upload photos to your account and then put the photos in a post here.

The good thing about Photobucket is that if your images are, for example, 3MB it will automatically compress them down to 1MB as you upload them. Only the photo in your Photobucket account will be compressed, the original version of the photo on your computer will still be 3MB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That signs wrong anyway as Galway is M6 now ;)
    Look closer, there's a lot more wrong with it ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

murphaph wrote: »

Well at least they spelt the Irish version of Dublin right - Ath Cliath,
    unlike Tipperary county council on the Nenagh bypass who choose to spell it Baile Atha Cliath.

So a bit of respect please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

murphaph wrote: »

No break in the roundabout for a start. The unlabelled stub off the roundabout map is presumably an offslip, but in that case I assume there's a corresponding one should be on the other side of the r/bout diagram? Also however much it's been criticised - afaik usual practice here is to use a red bar to show no access.

Also Sligo should really have (N4) beside it. I presume the chopsticks are valid - i.e. those two exits are slips directly onto M4?

More southbound M18 signage

J12 1km ADS

DSC02542.jpg

J12 Gantry

DSC02543.jpg

M18 Distance Signage

DSC02544-1.jpg

J9 1km ADS

DSC02545.jpg

Edit: Yes I should have cleaned my windscreen before I took them :D

I suppose you wouldn't know how to make them smaller! That big sign for J23 on the M11 is a bit....big :)

Another cropped one; till I master the dark arts involved here :( - was on the Gorey-Arklow section and the lines and signs on the Gorey bypass section is complete bar some stud replacement outside the hard shoulder. Nothing much happened yet on the 5 mile stretch that bypasses Rathnew and Ashford.

And finally for tonight...here is another bit of the previous picture showing the new line and studs on the Gorey bypass heading north.
    Peer hard into the background here and notice the roller coaster nature of the Gorey bypass; which much have the most..eh...relaxed specification of any of the HQDC built by the NRA. They could probably use it for the mountain stage of the next Tour d'Irlande!

I really don't like it when they put they cat's eyes on the inside of the yellow line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

I really don't like it when they put they cat's eyes on the inside of the yellow line.

I think it's a good idea - at night it helps keep cars from encroaching on the painted line. During the day, if you're close enough to the line to hit the studs then you should probably be leaving a wider margin anyway.

• Advertisement

mackerski wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea - at night it helps keep cars from encroaching on the painted line. During the day, if you're close enough to the line to hit the studs then you should probably be leaving a wider margin anyway.

The reason I don't like it is because when the studs are inside the yellow line and inside the white line over at the median, it effectively narrows the carriageway that you can drive on. If there's a big truck in lane 1 and I'm overtaking in lane 2 I like to keep over towards the line (without encroaching it) just to allow some extra margin for error. The studs being inside the line make it a little harder to do that.

Also, if the cat's eyes are inside the line they will take more hits and probably won't last as long as they otherwise would.

I suppose there are pros and cons to all the stud placing options though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

I suppose there are pros and cons to all the stud placing options though.

For sure - you certainly can't place the studs on the opposite side of the line - doing so would invite night-time drivers to hit the yellow line, and since this is textured, that's not the kind of surprise a driver needs.

Placing them right on the line interrupts the continuity of the line, and may even make it slightly harder to paint the line.

I guess I'm not really fussed - +/- 10cm on the kind of overtaking manoeuvres you describe aren't usually a big deal on lanes of the width you get on motorways.

mackerski wrote: »

I was thinking that might be something to do with the slightly narrower shoulder on the newer motorways (with the smaller land-take and no-grass median). Or are the narrower shoulders just an optical illusion?

I was thinking that might be something to do with the slightly narrower shoulder on the newer motorways (with the smaller land-take and no-grass median). Or are the narrower shoulders just an optical illusion?

The new motorways tend to have narrower hard shoulders it seems

Update: This today on the 5k section of the N11 (Ashford/Rathnew bypass); the yellow lines now complete, they were working on the signs. (I forgot to turn off the 10 mpixels so still cropping) - There was a whole squad of trucks out erecting poles for the new signs; no blue sign yet; took some pics of the work but, alas, they won't upload. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Lovely pictures Wild Bill. Shame about the hideous landscaping and verge maintenance however. Really takes the polish off a fine road.

• Advertisement

Yup - I reckon they are letting the landscape do the landscaping!

Mind you, I think this section of DC from Glen of the Downs to where it ends past Rathnew is a beautifully designed road in a magnificent countryside. The spec is way better than more recent efforts like the Gorey bypass or sections of the M8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

My God... I thought Cashel-Mitchelstown was bad.

I don't want to drag this off-topic with a rant on landscaping, but isn't it just bloody awful.

My eyes are burning from the site of it; a lovely piece of roadway, completely ruined by atrocious landscaping that seems to have been modelled after scorched, arid sections of African savannah.

Utterly revolting.

Thanks for the picture though. :)

BluntGuy wrote: »
    My God... I thought Cashel-Mitchelstown was bad.

Yes - Cashel-Mitchelstown and the entire Gorey bypass....terrible visual design. Though Gorey wins hands down in the visually challenged race! Was pleasantly surprised to see that the M9 Carlow bypass and M6 Athlone-Ballinasloe were much better - I feared we were in a downward spiral.

Mitchlestown (M8) BP is better too.

But if ever there was a setting for a beautiful road, it must be Cahir - Kilbeheny between the Galtees and the Knock-me-downs. They really made a pig's mickey of that opportunity to produce a meisterwerk!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Wicklow Co Co roads department are the pits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

You should all see the N25 from Cork to Carrigtwohill. The weeds are now about 5 foot high and completely obscure the central wire barrier. No mower would touch it, its strimmer time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lumiere

I hope at some point, the NRA considers properly integrating the new motorway network into the existing national road network. The massive investment on behalf of the state should be properly advertised and signed on all major routes. For example, for tourists at Rosslare the N25 should read N25 (M11) from the start, likewise with the N80 (M9) all the way between Enniscorthy and Carlow and so on. In South Wales the UK M4 is signed in brackets as soon as you get off the ferry, over 80 miles from the start of the M4 at Swansea. On the M50 mainline and recently improved N7 and N4 dual carriageways should read N7 (M7, M8, M9) and N4 (M4, N5, M6). I know the M7 now has M8 and M9 signed correctly but the M4 Leixlip/Maynooth and PPP section needs to be updated. The M4 merges directly with the M6 and the old N6 route officially no longer exists untill the Athlone bypass. The M50 is signed eastbound on the N4 Lucan bypass in this manner so I don’t understand why the M4 and M6 are not signed westbound.

lads, in a few years, every spring will have lovely yellow maybush all along the M11. It takes a while to set seed and cover the ground, but in this instance I think it's definitely the right way to proceed.
    The Arklow bypass now has a full hedge in the median, hawthorn, maybush, brambles and mountain and normal ash.

When you turn northbound onto the M11 at Arklow south (J21 or the Kish), I thought I saw the M11 signs halfway up the poles, but looking closer, they are going to put a speed limit sign at the Motorway confirmation sign. These are about 4m from the roundabout at the start of the slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Knowing Wicklow Co Co the signs will end up half way down the poles...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The N7 section of the Limerick SRR hasn't had much change - still no relining of the hard shoulder. However the signs at the N24 junction northbound have now been replaced and this is now J29, which is the highest junction number I have seen in the Republic.

Also to note, the "Next Exit" sign doesn't seem to be appearing on either this section or the M20 section - they've used two full map ADS approaching each junction instead. Has it been abandoned already or is it just due to the short distance between junctions, I wonder?

NFD100 wrote: »

I think your being much to kind to them! :D

When you turn northbound onto the M11 at Arklow south (J21 or the Kish), I thought I saw the M11 signs halfway up the poles, but looking closer, they are going to put a speed limit sign at the Motorway confirmation sign. These are about 4m from the roundabout at the start of the slip.

Yeah, but how many cars can can accelerate to 120kph halfway down a slip road? I predict that all these furze bushes on the Arklow bypass will ignite and cause chaos with smoke as soon as we get a dry summer! They used to have that at the Belfield flyover but had to remove them and replace with real trees 'cos every 5 years they were set alight! (by drunken undergrads no doubt). :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

...took some pics of the work but, alas, they won't upload. :(

If flickr, imageshack or photobucket don't work then PM me, and send me the images via e-mail or a file-hosting site, and I can upload them for you after re-sizing them or whatever. :)

icdg wrote: »
    Also to note, the "Next Exit" sign doesn't seem to be appearing on either this section or the M20 section - they've used two full map ADS approaching each junction instead. Has it been abandoned already or is it just due to the short distance between junctions, I wonder?

Probably crowded junctions. On the M50 they only have the 2km advance signs where there is a decent gap between junctions. Anyone know why the Athlone bypass wasn't re-designated? Junctions too close? Urban motorway with no street lights or studs? (Now guys I know all the reasons ye will give why it is a disgrace to roadcraft; but I'm really asking does anyone know the "official" reason for it?).

And what are they going to put on all those new poles they have erected for the new signs?!! :rolleyes:

I'm testing photobucket here with a photo of some cat's eyes:

?action=view&current=IMG_0550.jpg

Something missing.........

IMG_0550.jpg

BINGO!

• Advertisement

OK - apologies for hogging the board here but I'm showing the full shot of the N11 Ashford-Rathnew bypass; 8km of which is being redesignated motorway.
    This is looking north from the bridge at junction 17.

IMG_0600.jpg

And the full j22 pic.....
    IMG_0572-2.jpg

This was yesterday (Friday). The new version should be a terminal motorway sign - blue background with patching same as here for the R772 and N11 also the same but patched on a blue sign. I'll photograph the results!

And of course the Ash tree branches should be cut back by the 28th!!

IMG_0605-1.jpg

And here we say goodbye to the old signs; treasure this..soon to be a collector's item. (What do they do with the old signs?) :confused:

IMG_0595-1.jpg

On the R772 - the 'Dublin' direction should be changed so that it reads M11 on a blue patch. Will it? Tune in...same time next week.....

IMG_0597-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Shots of the new Eastbound section taken yesterday, link here. Line painting not quite finished yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

NFD100 wrote: »

In South Dublin county council area, it is the Parks Department that look after the landscaping around the roads,
    and the Roads Department that look after ONLY the road/signposts etc, at least it is in relation to the N7 between the Red cow Interchange and Blackchurch(SDCC/kildare border).

M7 J29 (gives you an idea how far were going with the motorway network!)

DSC02559.jpg

M20 split at J3

DSC02557.jpg

The M20 ahead sign is up but slightly covered in black plastic heading northbound from the M7/M20 roundabout. The road surface is being redone as the tie in with N7 phase 2 is ramping up.

Anyone with updates on how the M18 is faring. I wonder is the continuous yellow line done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Will they swap the green bollard for a blue one at the split in the second photo above? :)

A lot of bustle at M20 J1/M7 J30, looks like they are preparing to move traffic onto new M7 mainline/slip from M7 west to M20 south. Also I wonder if M20 north isn't just going to be joined up to M7 east via the new loop even before phase 2 opens - with access to Childers Road cut off early so they can build on top of where the roundabout is at present and finish the junction. All M20 north traffic after J2 (Dooradoyle) would then have to go up M7 east to Ballysimon (N24) junction to get access to Limerick city.

I predict a lot of shouting if this happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement