Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New motorway signs up already...

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Zoney wrote: »
    travellers camping on the hard shoulder. It doesn't entirely make sense that there *is* a hard shoulder on this section of road given it's just an R road (R510), but I guess it may have been forward planning in case four lanes was needed in the future if the industrial park expanded - not likely now anyway :(

Oh yeah forgot about those travellers ( driving their vans around the industrial estate :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What's the posted speed limit on the M20 spur? It is currently the only signed S2 under motorway regs in Ireland, right? (assuming the M32 is still a 'secret' motorway?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

murphaph wrote: »
    What's the posted speed limit on the M20 spur? It is currently the only signed S2 under motorway regs in Ireland, right? (assuming the M32 is still a 'secret' motorway?)

I think the signs put up on the offslip from M20 north have 60 km/h, but that might just be for the curve.

Until now the whole spur was under a 100 km/h limit same as the dual carriageway mainline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭spuddy

Snapped these yesterday, apologies for the quality, sunshine was quite bright.

3888724241_c312d054e8_o.jpg

N3 Exit 4 R156 and upcoming M3
    3888724379_e091ebd0ff_o.jpg

Another Exit 4 sign
    3888724491_7bf511a83c_o.jpg

"Exit 4" sign on N3 and start of M3
    3888724581_29c09fd2b1_o.jpg

Roadworks and end-of-motorway sign

3888724699_e5e14749ac_o.jpg

M3 flyover under construction
    3889518580_33c998948c_o.jpg

On the way back....

Patched M3 sign approaching Clonee/Dunboyne exit (no mention of R156, nor Damastown) presumably this sign will be replaced once the M3 is complete
    3888724827_be3d547c65_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Cheers for those excellent pics, was curious to see how the M3 would be signed. :)

The patching in the last example looks pretty woeful, but it gets the job done, and as you said, the sign will most likely be replaced anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Cheers for those excellent pics, was curious to see how the M3 would be signed. :)

The patching in the last example looks pretty woeful, but it gets the job done, and as you said, the sign will most likely be replaced anyway.

Its just the original sign patched. They probably didn't want to spend money on a new sign when they will have to replace it quite soon anyway.

And no "NO" signs at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

spuddy wrote: »

No mention of Ballyshannon, strange, unless of course this sign was situated in the county of Meath in which case, nothing would surprise me anymore about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Furet wrote: »
    The M8 Glanmire bypass is 120 km/h southbound, 100 km/h northbound. A sensible decision in my opinion.

No it's not. I just now came back from driving it. 100km/h signs are at glanmire exit.

But I’m sure they were taken down for a while then put back up again as i went for a drive during the week and failed to see them. If i recall there was a 120km/h sign on the glanmire on ramp and today i just saw a pole.

Maybe it was a mistake or they changed their minds.:rolleyes:

RANT:
    There was an Irish school of motoring car stopped on the hard shoulder on the Watergasshill bypass (now motorway) which then pulled into the driving lane as i approaching. I had to swerve to avoid it.

WTF? What idiot of an driving instructor is bringing people out there? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

By the sounds of it, not a sensible one, even though all learner drivers should have motorway driving as part of their training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hopefully that training could begin with checking to see what's coming before changing lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

spuddy wrote: »

3888724241_c312d054e8_o.jpg

Another Exit 4 sign
    3888724491_7bf511a83c_o.jpg

"Exit 4" sign on N3 and start of M3
    3888724581_29c09fd2b1_o.jpg

Roadworks and end-of-motorway sign

3888724699_e5e14749ac_o.jpg

M3 flyover under construction
    3889518580_33c998948c_o.jpg

On the way back....

Patched M3 sign approaching Clonee/Dunboyne exit (no mention of R156, nor Damastown) presumably this sign will be replaced once the M3 is complete
    3888724827_be3d547c65_o.jpg
    I noticed these myself during the week but I don't get the point of these if there's no M3 yet? Surely it's just going to cause confusion to people unfamiliar with the state of play?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No mention of Ballyshannon, strange, unless of course this sign was situated in the county of Meath in which case, nothing would surprise me anymore about them!

Its in Fingal, whose track record on signing roads properly, especially in Dublin 15, is not great...

In fairness, altough Ballyshannon is the terminal point of the N3, and although strictly speaking, following the TSM - which has been not quite thourougly ripped to shreds, in terms of motorway signs anyway, at this stage - Ballyshannon SHOULD be signed as the terminus, it is hardly a metropolis (less than 5,000 people I think...) and why it is the terminal point of a national primary road I have no idea - it is almost certainly the smallest terminal point of Ns 1-11, if not the entire primary network!

Cavan is the sensible place to sign as the terminus of the N3 - and if they must sign somewhere in Donegal, sign Letterkenny - though it isn't on the N3...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I noticed these myself during the week but I don't get the point of these if there's no M3 yet? Surely it's just going to cause confusion to people unfamiliar with the state of play?

There is an M3 - those are the pictures of it. The redesignation included the Clonee Bypass, so for now, we have a tiny length of M3 pending the new build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Zoney wrote: »
    The council put up clearway signs between the two roundabouts (Loughmore on R526, and the Dell Roundabout that the M20 spur starts on), after travellers camping on the hard shoulder. It doesn't entirely make sense that there *is* a hard shoulder on this section of road given it's just an R road (R510), but I guess it may have been forward planning in case four lanes was needed in the future if the industrial park expanded - not likely now anyway :(

As for the dashed line on the M20 spur's hard shoulder - last week the whole M20 mainline still had dashed line on the hard shoulder, I don't know that all of it is repainted even by today.

Technically aren't all intersections of any description clearways? as well as pedestrian crossings. 15 m before and 5 m after. But still they have to put double yellows down in allot of places and clearways signs at intersections where legally they don't have to cos people don't know the rules of the road or just don't care.

DSCF9880.jpg

You'll be glad to know that on Friday, this atrocious signage was finally corrected. The top panel has been replaced by a brand new blue flap-style sign with a junction 19 box.

I'm hoping the other flap signs are replaced.

Couldn't get a snap, didn't notice it in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

icdg wrote: »
    Its in Fingal, whose track record on signing roads properly, especially in Dublin 15, is not great...

In fairness, altough Ballyshannon is the terminal point of the N3, and although strictly speaking, following the TSM - which has been not quite thourougly ripped to shreds, in terms of motorway signs anyway, at this stage - Ballyshannon SHOULD be signed as the terminus, it is hardly a metropolis (less than 5,000 people I think...) and why it is the terminal point of a national primary road I have no idea - it is almost certainly the smallest terminal point of Ns 1-11, if not the entire primary network!

Cavan is the sensible place to sign as the terminus of the N3 - and if they must sign somewhere in Donegal, sign Letterkenny - though it isn't on the N3...

Cavan Town is barely bigger than Ballyshannon; and Letterkenny is accessed via the N2 not the N3 so signing somewhere else wouldn't really work - Donegal Town is the same size as Ballyshannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

You'll be glad to know that on Friday, this atrocious signage was finally corrected. The top panel has been replaced by a brand new blue flap-style sign with a junction 19 box.

I'm hoping the other flap signs are replaced.

Couldn't get a snap, didn't notice it in time.

Nice one :D

Nice one :D

No prob. :D

I'll try and get a snap this afternoon, but Furet's usually the one for M8 pictures. Who knows, maybe, somehow magically, the other flap signs will have been replaced as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

No prob. :D

I'll try and get a snap this afternoon, but Furet's usually the one for M8 pictures. Who knows, maybe, somehow magically, the other flap signs will have been replaced as well?

I intend to drive the M8 this afternoon. I'm charging the camera now. I also hope to get some pictures of the junction 8 development, which I'll post on the general M8 thread in Infrastructure.

• Advertisement

In fact, would anyone be so good as to save me some time and petrol and tell me if the R639 between Mitchelstown and Fermoy has been re-signed? Blunt, what time are you driving this afternoon?

In fact, would anyone be so good as to save me some time and petrol and tell me if the R639 between Mitchelstown and Fermoy has been re-signed?

Haven't the foggiest.
    Blunt, what time are you driving this afternoon?

Probably 5 or 6... I suspect that's closer to the evening actually. But yes, that's the time I expect to be on the M8.

I dunno, I'm thinking I might actually catch a bus instead, I'm getting tired of driving.

Why do you ask, thinking about meeting up for a pint at an increasingly desperate Corbett Court? :D

Why do you ask, thinking about meeting up for a pint at an increasingly desperate Corbett Court? :D

Was thinking of it; then I decided to head up to Cullahill for a gawk.

Here's that signage btw:
    DSCF9950.jpg

Was thinking of it; then I decided to head up to Cullahill for a gawk.

Here's that signage btw:
    DSCF9950.jpg
    Nice to see some tosser's Yes campaign posters have also been illegally attached to it. In Germany the Autobahnpolizei would have a thing or three to say about that sort of carry on! Wonder will the Guards do anything? :rolleyes:

murphaph wrote: »
    Nice to see some tosser's Yes campaign posters have also been illegally attached to it. In Germany the Autobahnpolizei would have a thing or three to say about that sort of carry on! Wonder will the Guards do anything? :rolleyes:

The entire M8 from Glanmire to Cahir is festooned with them - sign poles for ADS, countdowns, etc., are emblazoned with multiple posters. Quite a hazard in places methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

As it is illegal to stop on a motorway, could these signs be used as evidence of stopping.

• Advertisement

Colm R wrote: »
    As it is illegal to stop on a motorway, could these signs be used as evidence of stopping.
    The fixing of the signs themselves is an offence in its own right. As is stopping on the motorway, as is being a pedestrian (ie, leaving your stationary vehicle without good cause) on the motorway. Who' name is on those pics? I'd like to forward a mail to Joe Duffy and ask him to call the politician/party responsible for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 68thedriver

Thats not the M20 , the route number should be in brackets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭lynchie

Thats not the M20 , the route number should be in brackets.

And you drag up a 4 1/2 yr old thread for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

lynchie wrote: »
    And you drag up a 4 1/2 yr old thread for that?

An h-Uafasach! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

2009 called, etc., etc.,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement