Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question can someone answer

Options
  • 14-07-2009 7:40pm

Alright I am currently with eircom broadband and I ordered smart broadband, just wondering do I need to cancel eircom broadband now or what:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, I don't think so. Smart should take care of everything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I thought that when changing from BT to UTV, yet BT were still billing me 6 months later........Ring them or cancel it on their website, as soon as you are up and running with Smart

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

From my experience, only the customer can terminate the contract/service between the customer and the company. It could be different with Wholesale regulations etc for broadband, but I'd cancel the broadband part of the eircom service to be safe.

Did you speak with someone from Smart to order? They'll be the best people to advise you on what you need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Find out from Smart when you should expect to be up and running with them.

Then call eircom and ask that your account be cancelled by the date given to you by Smart.
    They will be able to tell you how long their cancellation period/notice period is and when you should be cancelled.
    In the worst case, you might have to call them back closer to the date your Smart should be set up.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I thought that when changing from BT to UTV, yet BT were still billing me 6 months later........Ring them or cancel it on their website, as soon as you are up and running with Smart

That's just BT, they do that all the time.

If you cancel eircom broadband, there's a chance it will cancel the order for Smart, so I'd check with Smart to see what they say. There are various transfer agreements in place now, and things have improved on the way it used to be. When LLU first came along, you had to have no DSL on your line before the LLU order would be accepted. I think this has changed now.

• Advertisement

Then call eircom and ask that your account be cancelled by the date given to you by Smart.

If you cancel your eircom account, they'll close the line, and you won't be able to move to Smart, as will no longer have a phone line.

Thanks for the info I think ill wait until smart connects me, then ill cancel the broadband from the line.. will I still be paying line rental to eircom? that would mean ill be paying line rental to both smart and eircom :O

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, no you won't have to cancel your eircom account, it's all done automatically. Similar to porting a mobile phone number from one operator to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ditto. don't cancel anything until after smart is up and running.

the broadband and phone number will be ported to smart, thanks to all the paperwork they have you fill out which authorises them to put in the request that eircom hand it over, then you just have to pay your final bill with eircom once that's done and you can then close your account. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

Hi,

I have done the same switch 2 years ago, notice that there will be a fine from eircom. Around 100 euro or something -not too sure- for canceling the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

RAWLiNGS wrote: »
    Hi,

I have done the same switch 2 years ago, notice that there will be a fine from eircom. Around 100 euro or something -not too sure- for canceling the contract.
    Only if you signed up for a fixed term contract in the first place! This may not be the case for most people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

I wanted to get smart they said eircom have to activate the line and give me a phone number, I did that, then I applied for smart, they switched me on for BB, but they had changed my Line from eircom to their system, as result of this, eircom charged me. So, I dont know what happens in any other cause, but this happened to me.

If you didn't ask for broadband off eircom, just an ordinary phone line and account, then they had no entitlement to that. Complain to eircom about it and clarify what their reasoning was. If it's not satisfactory, get legal advice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you didn't ask for broadband off eircom, just an ordinary phone line and account, then they had no entitlement to that. Complain to eircom about it and clarify what their reasoning was. If it's not satisfactory, get legal advice.

I really think that the poster is being incredibly vague in this case and it did happen two years ago. I am all for customer's rights but two years ago was the time to pursue this.

After all this time and the problems they have had with Eircom I would have expected that Smart would be in a position to give any new customer clear and accurate instructions as to what if any actions they are required to take in relation to any change of isp.

It would be better, but I'd leave it to a solicitor to determine statute of limitations or suchlike. What is there to lose by checking/complaining with eircom anyway? I know my mum would probably pay up if money was due for "cancelling early" even if it wasn't, and she or anyone like her wouldn't question it too much. My reading of this is that this poster got a line reactivated. Then applied for smart. This went to plan. Then eircom asked for €100 for a reason beyond me. I think a complaint was in order then, and there's no harm in doing it now. The post was a little ambiguous, but incredibly vague is an overstatement.

As for smart and cancelling, I'd expect them to have informed the OP too. He/She's a man of few words, so I'll guess that Smart simply mentioned cancelling briefly without elaborating, or didn't mention mention it because Smart looked after that.

I don't know why the OP didn't get the info from the horse's mouth and just ring smart already.

Advertisement