Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin maps question

Options
  • 14-07-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm going on a driving holiday in 2 weeks in California and have a NUVI 250W with UK & Ireland maps pre-installed on it.

I'm looking at my options for getting sat-nav for my trip. Renting from the car rental companies is very expensive, buying a sat-nav is more expensive.

I've seen on the Garmin site that you can buy an SD card with the maps pre-installed for about €50. How do these work? My unit has UK & Ireland maps on it already, if I insert a SD card with North America maps on it will it work? will I get an option to boot straight from the SD?

Any help is appreciated, I am leaving it a bit tight if I have to get the maps delivered from Garmin.

If there is another, better option I'm all ears.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 zander74

hi I bought 1 last year for a holiday in the US, works grand but I think it cost about €90.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've seen on the Garmin site that you can buy an SD card with the maps pre-installed for about €50. How do these work? My unit has UK & Ireland maps on it already, if I insert a SD card with North America maps on it will it work? will I get an option to boot straight from the SD?

Thats about it basically. I was in the States a couple of weeks ago and needed US maps. I didnt have time to wait for a delivery of SD card with maps so popped in PC World and bought a 2GB card for 10 euros and downloaded the maps straight onto it.

Renting a unit cost at least the same. If you want to buy one over there Walmart is the cheapest palce to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Bought one on the internets and getting it delivered to a mate in the states. Rang Garmin and they were very helpful.

Thanks folks

Advertisement