Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

english in arts

Options
  • 14-07-2009 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm starting arts and am taking english. i'm hopin to major in dat for my degree. has anyone any advice on how many credits i should take (takin hist nd phil too) and what modules i should take in my first year? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

You'll only be doing 20 if you're taking 3 majors.

Do anything you can with Alan Fletcher, Porscha Fermanis, Tony Roche or Declan Kilberd. They're all fantastic. The childrens lit course is good and should be mandatory still if it's offered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Just do all the modules offered, it will help you in the long run, there will be two compulsory and then two options you must do at least 3 if you want to keep it as a major.

Childrens lit is very interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 duffster808

does anyone know if i should take 'The Essay' or 'Literature in Context 1' alongside 'Children's Literature' in Semester 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Infernon

does anyone know if i should take 'The Essay' or 'Literature in Context 1' alongside 'Children's Literature' in Semester 1?

Lit in Context I and II are the core modules,and you have to take them if you plan to continue with English as your major.I did them last year,and they were kinda ok,but it's a gamble with your group project,as you can end up with absolute dushbags or obnoxious D4 heads in your group, and you can do absolutely nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I want to do Politics AND English in arts.

-sigh-

Any chance of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Infernon wrote: »
    Lit in Context I and II are the core modules,and you have to take them if you plan to continue with English as your major.I did them last year,and they were kinda ok,but it's a gamble with your group project,as you can end up with absolute dushbags or obnoxious D4 heads in your group, and you can do absolutely nothing about it.
    Group project?! Huh, they've changed it since I left - and that was only last year. Thank GOD I wasn't landed with that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

-sigh-

Any chance of it?

No problem. You have to take 2 majors, why not those 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

English and Politics are both in Group D so you can't do both in the Omnibus programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

-sigh-

Any chance of it?

So do I :( I was so annoyed when i saw politics was against english but I'll survive

What does the group project involve ?

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    So do I :( I was so annoyed when i saw politics was against english but I'll survive

What does the group project involve ?

Well in semester 1 last year we done a presentation and wrote a paper about Chaucer and Shakesperes works. In semester 2 we had a semester long project of creating a magazine from one of the literary periods. We also had to then 'sell' this magazine to an investor by means of a presentation. Tbh it was more marketing in semester 1 than English!

• Advertisement

I knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Well in semester 1 last year we done a presentation and wrote a paper about Chaucer and Shakesperes works. In semester 2 we had a semester long project of creating a magazine from one of the literary periods. We also had to then 'sell' this magazine to an investor by means of a presentation. Tbh it was more marketing in semester 1 than English!

.....my friend did single honours english and never mentioned any of this:) it sounds kinda fun though

One things for certain English is easily the most interesting Arts subject!;)

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    One things for certain English is easily the most interesting Arts subject!;)
    I can decide between English and Politics...

If you have a creative mind do English.
    If you are VERY opinionated do Politics.

Do English.

I'm both really ^

And am looking at journalism as a career...

Definitely do English then if you are following that career path.

I thought politics would be more useful? Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Dont quote me on this, but if you do your 10 credits of electives in politics you can major or minor in it next year.

Weaaally? So I could do the two?

• Advertisement

Guess not :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 duffster808

Hey btw is there anyone who's just starting arts this september? I'm only starting this september. Send us a messgae if u are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I'm starting arts and am taking english. i'm hopin to major in dat for my degree. has anyone any advice on how many credits i should take (takin hist nd phil too) and what modules i should take in my first year? thanks

My exact first year choices...

You don't have very many options... apart from what weight you give each subject

In fact isn't phil the only one with an extra module (3 in first semester?)

Do well in your core English and you can apply for Single Subject Honours at end of Year.

I didn't - never wanted to limit my horizons. Would have kept up 3 or 4 Arts courses given the chance :D.

Oh... make sure you use the word 'dat' in all your essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Weaaally? So I could do the two?

FIRST YEAR: Electives = politics 1st year

SECOND YEAR: Core = politics 1st year, Electives = politics 2nd year

:D

Just a suggestion...

Advertisement