Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre recommendations please (225/40/18)

• 14-07-2009 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

I spotted a tiny bit of a bulge on one of front tyres yesterday and the local tyre centre recommended that i should change it cos you can see the beginnings of street fractures in the tyre. This is a bit of a pain in a a$s as (a) the tyres have at least 60% life left, (b) i'm pretty skint this month and (c) i'll need at least two new tyres.

Anyways, when it comes to tyres i haven't a clue. Its something i never had to replace before. So i'm looking for some recommendations for some good and reasonably priced rubber. I've been told elsewhere that Falken 452's come highly recommended. Has anybody any other recommendations?

My preference is for comfort, low road noise (as far as can be expected on a low profile tyre) and good in the wet. High levels of grip is important but isn't totally critical as that just not my style of driving. Don't wanna spend a fortune either and need another set in 6-12 months. There are currently Federal super steel 595 tyres on my car (not the original tyres from the factory), but the guy in the tyre shop said these were "taxi tyres" and that i should be looking for something a bit better for my opc.

The tyre shop is going to get back to me tomorrow with different brands and prices, but i haven't a clue what are good and whats not. I know i need to stay away from the cheapest brands....I don't think i'll be buying online as i then still have to organise getting them fitted....

Cheers for any recommendations!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I bought a pair of those Falken's last week, haven't got the chance to have them fitted yet but they have good online reviews and some posters here recommended them also. They have rim protection too which is a bonus to protect your alloy wheels from kerbing.

BTW that is a good price for 18" as I paid the extact same for 17" from camskills also. Ordered them on a Friday and had them on a Monday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I bought a pair of those Falken's last week, haven't got the chance to have them fitted yet but they have good online reviews and some posters here recommended them also. They have rim protection too which is a bonus to protect your alloy wheels from kerbing.

BTW that is a good price for 18" as I paid the extact same for 17" from camskills also. Ordered them on a Friday and had them on a Monday morning.

Thats impressive delivery times....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

I spotted a tiny bit of a bulge on one of front tyres yesterday and the local tyre centre recommended that i should change it cos you can see the beginnings of street fractures in the tyre. This is a bit of a pain in a a$s as (a) the tyres have at least 60% life left, (b) i'm pretty skint this month and (c) i'll need at least two new tyres.

Anyways, when it comes to tyres i haven't a clue. Its something i never had to replace before. So i'm looking for some recommendations for some good and reasonably priced rubber. I've been told elsewhere that Falken 452's come highly recommended. Has anybody any other recommendations?

My preference is for comfort, low road noise (as far as can be expected on a low profile tyre) and good in the wet. High levels of grip is important but isn't totally critical as that just not my style of driving. Don't wanna spend a fortune either and need another set in 6-12 months. There are currently Federal super steel 595 tyres on my car (not the original tyres from the factory), but the guy in the tyre shop said these were "taxi tyres" and that i should be looking for something a bit better for my opc.

The tyre shop is going to get back to me tomorrow with different brands and prices, but i haven't a clue what are good and whats not. I know i need to stay away from the cheapest brands....I don't think i'll be buying online as i then still have to organise getting them fitted....

Cheers for any recommendations!

Never skrimp on tyres, no matter how broke you are. Always go for the quality brands. I'm pretty sure i've the same tyre size and i've Bridgestones fitted. Tyres can save you life and car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Eh? according to reports some of the lesser known brands are better or as good as the leading brands. Tempted by those falkens I usually go for Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta but there a bit more expensive.

An Ard Ri wrote: »
    Never skrimp on tyres, no matter how broke you are. Always go for the quality brands. I'm pretty sure i've the same tyre size and i've Bridgestones fitted. Tyres can save you life and car!

Totally agree, but want to avoid getting a semi-slick tyre and will be crap in rain, cost a fortune and will need replaced in 6-9 months as the rubber compound was so soft (drastic example i know).
    Hoping for recommendations of peoples good examples....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Over the years I've had toyos, kumho's, pirelli's, yokohama's, bridgestones and goodyear eagle f1's.

IMO the best ones I've had are the new model eagle F1 asymmetric, followed by the old gsd3. They are not the longest lasting tyre but they grip very well in both wet and dry conditions. I value the grip more then longevity.

If you want a quiet tyre I would recommend the asymmetric's, far quieter then the old ones.

Neilw wrote: »
    Over the years I've had toyos, kumho's, pirelli's, yokohama's, bridgestones and goodyear eagle f1's.

IMO the best ones I've had are the new model eagle F1 asymmetric, followed by the old gsd3. They are not the longest lasting tyre but they grip very well in both wet and dry conditions. I value the grip more then longevity.

If you want a quiet tyre I would recommend the asymmetric's, far quieter then the old ones.

A mate told me that the F1's suffered from terrible tramlining. Asymmetric's the best way forward? Current ones are symmetrical and are noisy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Have the eagle F1 asymmetrical ones on myself and they are very very good.. I was comparing them to the Sessanta's which I found weird on the car. F1's are very expensive though and I think the Vredestein Ultracs I had on prev to the Sessanta's were much better value out of the two (on par with the F1's for comfort) not sure they are being made anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nothing wrong with Falken, they are a mid range tyre.

Anybody any experience with NANKANG NS2. Just been quoted €90 per tyre including fitting....

The camskill site works out to be 125.36 Euro for two tyres (ex fitting but including shipping)
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b115s134p0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Had Eagle F1's before. Great tyre but they just wore very (read way too) quickly. Running Dunlop SP SportMaxx at the moment. About 20k km in I'll probably be replacing the fronts in the next couple of thousand but rears look factory fresh. Quiet and ride well too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭enol

I got a set of those Falkens on my Nissan 350Z nearly a year ago (225F&245R/45/18)which replaced a set of Bridgestone RE040A's, and I actually prefer the Falkens, less road noise, more comfort, wet & dry grip just as good, if not better!
    They are a fantastic all round good performance tyre, theres no way I'd pay the price difference for the 'better' brands, the only place you'll notice the difference is on a track.
    They do take a while to wear in though, 100ml or so, give them a chance :)
    I got mine online, got them delivered to a local fitter, who had tried to sell me Fedrals, not beacause they were a better tyre, because he didnt deal with Falken, so keep that in mind when asking for recommendations from tyre shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have those size Falkens on the GT, got them aswell from Camskill....good all round tyre as already mentioned.

I also had Toyo T1-R's before aswell and found them excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Anybody any experience with NANKANG NS2. Just been quoted €90 per tyre including fitting....

The camskill site works out to be 125.36 Euro for two tyres (ex fitting but including shipping)
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b115s134p0

get the falkens,

they are the best mid range tyre you can get, the ns2s arent great and certainly arent worth paying more for!

The falkens are due this morning. Thanks for all advice:D

Advertisement