Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out but still in 12 month contract with UPC

Options
  • 14-07-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I'm moving house but am still in 12 month contract with UPC. I'll end up having to cough up a cancellation fee as there's 2 months left in the contract. Moving the service to the new address isn't an option as I'm moving into a house that already has a service.

I was thinking of offering to transfer the service to someone else. It would save them signing a 12 month contract and setup fee.

What would the pitfalls of this idea be?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Change your service to the cheapest one you can and just pay the last 2 months. You'd be surprised what is hidden in the T's and C's and I wouldnt be surprised if the name of the person paying the bill is changed then they will be on a new 12 month contract.

Check it out with them before making any plans like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fbalfe

Cheers, I'll see if that's an option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

This may help you:

Mate from work was moving from his house in Dublin recently. Job moved him to somewhere down the country, (cant remember where exactly), and the house he was moving to, UPC did not service the area (no chorus, nothing), so although he wanted to continue with the contract, UPC could not provide the service to the address, result, contract cancelled with no penalty, as it was UPCs fault.

So, put your thinking cap on, and play it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Austin 3:16

deepspeed wrote: »
    This may help you:

Mate from work was moving from his house in Dublin recently. Job moved him to somewhere down the country, (cant remember where exactly), and the house he was moving to, UPC did not service the area (no chorus, nothing), so although he wanted to continue with the contract, UPC could not provide the service to the address, result, contract cancelled with no penalty, as it was UPCs fault.

So, put your thinking cap on, and play it well.

Same problem as above, moving out but don't fancy paying the €100 cancellation fee (fairly steep!). So does anyone know an area where chorus isn't available. Also if we just disappear will they chase us for the money?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Same problem as above, moving out but don't fancy paying the €100 cancellation fee (fairly steep!).
    Thanks.

You knew (or should have known) when you were signing up that you were signing up for a 12 month contract and that they were penalties if you broke it?
    So does anyone know an area where chorus isn't available.

There are a zillion areas where chorus isnt available?
    Also if we just disappear will they chase us for the money?

Yes they will - and they should too - ultimately other customers pay the cost if people do a runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I moved house last week, last year in my old place I signed up for the 20mb ntl bb package.

The new house I'm in is 10minutes down the road from my old and guess what no NTL bb coverage.

I rang them up and double checked it with them, they contacted the engineering department and told me broadband won't be available until early next year.

So they said I will need to cancel the NTL bb package fine by me, no fine/penalty simply because they could not provide the service I wanted in my new house.

Bummer though as I would rather have stuck with them for another bit :( sitting on a 3mb line now....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

dub45 wrote: »
    You knew (or should have known) when you were signing up that you were signing up for a 12 month contract and that they were penalties if you broke it?

Yes they will - and they should too - ultimately other customers pay the cost if people do a runner.

Sorry lads,I am afraid I have to ...

Cos I was charged 107.35 euro after half year using upc,normal 49.75 euro charge.
    So I contacted with the customer service and the staff said I exceeded the usage limited(I didn't read the f*cking T&Cs )
    and asked me to send a email to aup@upc.ie. Then I did sent a mail for suggestion.
    Now I recived a message from upc saying my next bill is 87.75 euro on 7 march. I don't think I exceed the usage limited again. Calling customer service again, and told that I was upgraded "automatically".
    I had totally no idea on this upgrade after sending a mail to aup@upc.ie, and I have to pay 10 euro if i want to downgrade.

[Bloody Robber UPC!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There is no need to resurrect an old thread for this. This is an issued which is regularly raised in the main broadband forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement