Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bichon frise health problems

Options
  • 14-07-2009 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

im really looking into getting a bichon frise, but have been told that they have very high risk of illness, if any1 has one can you clarify with me is this true or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi,

Bichons suffer from a multitude of allergies and skin disorders, ear and eye problems incl deafness, gallbladder stones, kidney and bladder infections, joing probs etc.

Google it, there is plenty of info out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi,
    I have a two year old bichon. They are lovely dogs and great fun around the house.
    Once he is groomed regularly and his ears cleaned on an ongoing basis I haven't had any health issues.
    Despite there little size they require alot of time and effort to keep them right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭MacBaldy

cheers for the info, ya i googled it an i have read about the problems youve mentioned

yes also ive notice they reallly have to be looked after with grooming etc

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

Hi MacBaldy,

Basically every dog that has been bred to a pedigree standard will have a list of potential health issues, that goes with the territory but just goes to show that they are very well documented.

For example a PUG has serious issues breathing; this is due to the nasal passages (etc) being restricted severely due to breeding. That’s why they sound like they’re constantly hyperventilating.

But being a Bichon owner, I've experienced no “breed” related illnesses with my little one, nor have any of my friends with their dogs.
    They are owners of Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Labs, Springer’s, Rottweiler’s, Yorkies, Jack Russels & of course lots of mongrels too.

I think it’s up to good genes though, basically the same as kids, if something runs in the family then the likelihood is that it will be passed onto the kids, like freckles, asthma etc, so if you end up with a pet whose parents suffered from allergies, likely the baby will develop them. :)

With Bichons though they do require a fair bit of grooming. But so does any long haired dog if you dont want matting. Its not about the dog looking good, but for their comfort.

BUT the Best bit is they don’t smell like a dog... I don’t know if you get me, but take a Yorkie, they stink of dog (I know they’re dogs, but Bichons are less stinky, something to do with the amount of natural "hair" oil they produce, correct me if I'm wrong! ;) ).
    So when you walk in a house with a Bichon you don’t know that a dog lives there. Nor do they shed.
    They're very very robust too & lots of energy.

One other thing, if you decide to get a white dog, then you will probably have to deal with tear staining. Every dogs eyes leak (can't think of the proper term,sorry!) but on white dogs, its very visible.

Luckily Púca, my Bichon has never had tear staining.
    Im not sure if this is down to her diet or just good genes.

But there are natural or chemical products on the market that you add to their food to combat this.
    Anyway, if you've any more Q's just let me know.

I don’t hold back & tell it like it is, I try not to be biased!
    Sorry for the long post guys :p

(to see some pics of Púca, look at the pics of pets thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 charly45

I have a 5 and a half year old bichon frise, she has thankfully no allergies or illnesses. I can highly recommend these adorable fun loving breed. The grooming is high maintenance i admit but if you brush them regularly (at least 3 times a week) you can keep the matts under control. They really love to be a part of a family and like to be included in EVERYTHING ! They give so much back in love and loyalty. She is one of the best things ever happened to us.We have no childern so she is our baby.Good Luck in your decision!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Hi there.

Like the posters above I have a bichon. He has no health problems and is a perfect little dog. You can see pictures of him here Full?id=1450071

Kiya wrote: »
    Hi MacBaldy,

Basically every dog that has been bred to a pedigree standard will have a list of potential health issues, that goes with the territory but just goes to show that they are very well documented.

For example a PUG has serious issues breathing; this is due to the nasal passages (etc) being restricted severely due to breeding. That’s why they sound like they’re constantly hyperventilating.

But being a Bichon owner, I've experienced no “breed” related illnesses with my little one, nor have any of my friends with their dogs.
    They are owners of Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Labs, Springer’s, Rottweiler’s, Yorkies, Jack Russels & of course lots of mongrels too.

I think it’s up to good genes though, basically the same as kids, if something runs in the family then the likelihood is that it will be passed onto the kids, like freckles, asthma etc, so if you end up with a pet whose parents suffered from allergies, likely the baby will develop them. :)

With Bichons though they do require a fair bit of grooming. But so does any long haired dog if you dont want matting. Its not about the dog looking good, but for their comfort.

BUT the Best bit is they don’t smell like a dog... I don’t know if you get me, but take a Yorkie, they stink of dog (I know they’re dogs, but Bichons are less stinky, something to do with the amount of natural "hair" oil they produce, correct me if I'm wrong! ;) ).
    So when you walk in a house with a Bichon you don’t know that a dog lives there. Nor do they shed.
    They're very very robust too & lots of energy.

One other thing, if you decide to get a white dog, then you will probably have to deal with tear staining. Every dogs eyes leak (can't think of the proper term,sorry!) but on white dogs, its very visible.

Luckily Púca, my Bichon has never had tear staining.
    Im not sure if this is down to her diet or just good genes.

But there are natural or chemical products on the market that you add to their food to combat this.
    Anyway, if you've any more Q's just let me know.

I don’t hold back & tell it like it is, I try not to be biased!
    Sorry for the long post guys :p

(to see some pics of Púca, look at the pics of pets thread)

thank you so much for the post an effort it was def worth the read
    i shall be in touch when we finally decide:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

OP
    Not sure if you are interested in adopting but in the indo on monday (I think) there was an article about shelters. It mentioned there is a shelter in Tipp looking for a home for a bichon called Ozzie. Sorry can't remeber the name of the shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 the grooming pa

MacBaldy wrote: »
    im really looking into getting a bichon frise, but have been told that they have very high risk of illness, if any1 has one can you clarify with me is this true or not?

I have to say I groom dogs and do a hugh amount of Bichons, It is the very odd one that I have found with problems, the main reason is that the owners dont groom their dogs, they end up a mess and need a lot of work to get them back to their former glory, these dogs are great little fellows/Girls but do need a lot of grooming. They change their coat from a puppy to adult coat at around 7 months up to about 1.5 years and at this stage they need LOTS of grooming on your part. I am grooming over 20 Years have my higher diploma in dog grooming for Bichons and think they are great little guys. I do know of a reputable breeder who is due a litter which will be available around Sept/October if you are interested, please contact me my web page is www.thegroomingpad.com thegroomingpad@eircom.net Personally if you want a small dog that does not molt and fits in well with families but does need grooming, I would go with this type of dog, but like any dog you need to see it, check where it is from, make sure it is not a puppy farm, it should be fully vaccinated and mircochipped and parents available to see, also registered if you are getting a pure breed. Do you have a garden, will the dog be left on its own, do you have children, can you afford the vet bills that any dog can have, Do you go away often, these are all questions that you need to address. I hope this helps and does not put you off getting a dog, best of luck:)

I have to say I groom dogs and do a hugh amount of Bichons, It is the very odd one that I have found with problems, the main reason is that the owners dont groom their dogs, they end up a mess and need a lot of work to get them back to their former glory, these dogs are great little fellows/Girls but do need a lot of grooming. They change their coat from a puppy to adult coat at around 7 months up to about 1.5 years and at this stage they need LOTS of grooming on your part. I am grooming over 20 Years have my higher diploma in dog grooming for Bichons and think they are great little guys. I do know of a reputable breeder who is due a litter which will be available around Sept/October if you are interested, please contact me my web page is www.thegroomingpad.com thegroomingpad@eircom.net Personally if you want a small dog that does not molt and fits in well with families but does need grooming, I would go with this type of dog, but like any dog you need to see it, check where it is from, make sure it is not a puppy farm, it should be fully vaccinated and mircochipped and parents available to see, also registered if you are getting a pure breed. Do you have a garden, will the dog be left on its own, do you have children, can you afford the vet bills that any dog can have, Do you go away often, these are all questions that you need to address. I hope this helps and does not put you off getting a dog, best of luck:)

thank you for the info an help, as you do dog grooming you should have 1st hand experience with them, i shall be in touch if we decide. thank you
    we will definlaty be looking at a pure bred

• Advertisement
Advertisement