Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Phil & Teds to buy?

• 14-07-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

I am currently looking at buying a new double buggy as baby 2 is due in Sept. The Phil & Teds appear popular but I'm confused about all the different models. I've been offered a second hand sports model with doubles kit for €350 but I'm unsure if this is great value (also includes raincover and a carrycot which I'm not interested in but its part of the deal).
    Smyths are selling the P&T classic with doubles kit at €400 brand new.
    http://www.toys.ie/Phil-and-Ted-Classic-Buggy--Double-Kit--!F11512-prod.aspx
    Any advice amongst you? Someone mentioned that the buggys now come with a doubles kit as standard but from looking at online stores they all seem to sell the kit separately.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

phil and Teds awesome adventure, Phil and teds bogus journey wasnt as good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have heard that the obaby one is good and has a bigger toddler seat.
    http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_45_10751_-1_14051_82417_10001_14051

I prefer the phil and teds vibe to the sports one.
    http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_45_10751_-1_14051_68317_10001_14051

It looks much sturdier and comfie.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

i bought p + t sports model brand new for €380. I may be a tenner out either way but it was defo around that mark. I also bought the infant cocoon separately for around €40 - not necessary but handy bit. I think the second hand offer you got is a bit expensive. the one i bought had the graffiti design on the seat and you could get it in either red or green.

edit: forgot to say brilliant buggy. am using as a single until no. 2 arrives soon. great for long walks and no effort. would recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

It would seem that the sport model is the most popular...although we chose the dash. I would deffo use the cocoon...we found it really handy. If you have a toddler that may be a handful it will be great just to be able to pick up babs and slot him/her into the buggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We bought one and had to bring it back. If you have a newborn and want it to lie flat it means the toddler has to use the double kit. A tall 20mth+ doesn't fit as their head is over the bar of the double kit. They'll definately be tight under the hood and rain cover. Once the newborn can go into the double kit and the older toddler can go into the main part, then theres no problem. But thats 6~9 mths where you can't use it. Depends on the height of the kids obviously. If I was buying one again I'd get the Dash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

We've just outgrown our Quinny Buzz and have got the €400 P+T classic from Smyth's. My daughther was 2 in May, but is quiet tall for her age so was jammed in the Quinny. Mrs.Delly wanted another buggy with air filled tyres, so the P+T's was it.

Only had it a short while now, but Mrs.Delly says that pushing it is effortless and it corners like its on rails. I scratched my head for ages before Delly jr. was born, but still made an inital bad decesion and this will be buggy No.4 would you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Cheers for all the feedback. I rejected the second hand offer as it really wasn't good value for a second hand old model verus what you can get in bundles.

I'm definitely concerned about the fact that with the newborn you need to use the main seat as I know my eldest who will be 2yrs 4mths when no 2 arrives and it would be unlikely she'll fit into the back seat. Fortunately my brother in law has a P&T so we'll have to give the eldest a go in the back to see how snug a fit she is.

Researching buggies is worse than looking up hotels/holidays - so many opposing and diverse opinions it really makes you think that no buggy manufacturer has nailed the 2 kid buggy yet.

The Graco duo stadium was only 109 in smyths so we got one for when the baby is small. Cheap enough that can get something else later on. Something specifically for longer walkers, even a side by side Jogger type.

The Graco duo stadium has been much better, and hander than we expected tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

would you guys recommend Phil & Ted's for new borns? All very confusing for first time parents

dubmick wrote: »
    would you guys recommend Phil & Ted's for new borns? All very confusing for first time parents

One or two newborns and any other kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

number one is on the way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

We bought the Phil & Teds Sport as our 2nd child arrived 3 months ago.
    Very smooth ride with the inflatable tyres & wheel bearings.
    A bit large when folded up but that really depends on the size of your boot.
    The "In Line" function is much better than the tandem design so it's no problem getting around shops with the 2 of them in it.

Only flaw I found is that the handbrake is a difficult mechanism to get at & operate which means you give up using it early on.
    Just don't leave it on any hills :D.

It's a costly buggy but well worth the money imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

donnacha wrote: »
    Cheers for all the feedback. I rejected the second hand offer as it really wasn't good value for a second hand old model verus what you can get in bundles.

I'm definitely concerned about the fact that with the newborn you need to use the main seat as I know my eldest who will be 2yrs 4mths when no 2 arrives and it would be unlikely she'll fit into the back seat. Fortunately my brother in law has a P&T so we'll have to give the eldest a go in the back to see how snug a fit she is.

Researching buggies is worse than looking up hotels/holidays - so many opposing and diverse opinions it really makes you think that no buggy manufacturer has nailed the 2 kid buggy yet.

As far as I remember, the baby is in the main seat with it reclined and the toddler sits up front in the detachable seat. When the baby gets a bit bigger it (circa 3 months) it sits in the rear in the detachable seat and the toddler sits up front in the main seat (which is now upright). The bigger kid is always up front. The only bad thing is that the baby doesn't get much of a view!

Our 3.5 year old fits comfortably in the front and our 18 month old in the back, in fact most of the time our 3.5 year old wants to walk so the youngest sits up front, but the odd time she gets tired and fits in the back no problem, don't know what we're going to do when no.3 arrives in a few months
    dubmick wrote:

Can't see any reason why not, you can lie the baby flat in the Phil & Ted's and that should be one of the most important things. We made the mistake of buying a single baby buggy when we had our first and then had to buy the phil & ted's when number 2 arrived...

High&Low wrote: »
    ...Our 3.5 year old fits comfortably in the front ...

Our 2yr old didn't. Head was on the metal bar.

Advertisement