Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Japanese classes in Dublin?

Options
  • 14-07-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Yo, I'm going into 5th year and I want to start Japanese classes for LC outside of school. I've heard tell of classes in town, but for the life of me I can't find a link or a phone number or anything on google. I was hoping that the good folk here could point me in the right direction.

Does anyone know where I could get LC Japanese classes in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Fiquem wrote: »
    Yo, I'm going into 5th year and I want to start Japanese classes for LC outside of school. I've heard tell of classes in town, but for the life of me I can't find a link or a phone number or anything on google. I was hoping that the good folk here could point me in the right direction.

St. Michael's College, Dublin 4, Saturday morning, dunno where you get the contact details for them, but that's where a huge proportion of people do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

http://www.leavingcertjapanese.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fiquem

Cheers, I'll check that out.

I'd prefer something in town or on the north side, so it's easier to get to and all that, so any more suggestions would be helpful!

EDIT:
    Don't I have to attend those schools to do japanese there? I'd rather not have to troll through irish school websites, they're not the best.... but if I must :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I live on the northside and I went to them.
    Its only a few minutes on the 4 from O Connell Bridge.
    Believe me, the commute will not be the worst thing about those classes...
    Have fun!

Believe me, the commute will not be the worst thing about those classes...

Now that's ominous...

Well, thanks people, I'm e-mailing St. Michael's as we speak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Ringing > eMailing

Ringing > eMailing

Yeah, but you've got to take into account what time you call at and what you're gonna ask and all that. And I'd have to talk to a real person! How awkward would that be...

Now that's ominous...

Well, thanks people, I'm e-mailing St. Michael's as we speak!

The classes in Michael's are free, I dunno if ones in town would be.

Also Michael's have nothing to do with the classes whatsoever, so ringing/contacting them wont really get you far.

Fad wrote: »
    The classes in Michael's are free, I dunno if ones in town would be.

Also Michael's have nothing to do with the classes whatsoever, so ringing/contacting them wont really get you far.

Free is good :)
    No contact number is bad...

Well, they haven't replied yet, but if that doesn't work, can people who've done the course before tell me how they got in? If so many people've done it already, I'm sure not everyone got in because they're a friend of a friend. Someone must've called them at some point!

Well, they haven't replied yet, but if that doesn't work, can people who've done the course before tell me how they got in? If so many people've done it already, I'm sure not everyone got in because they're a friend of a friend. Someone must've called them at some point!

Here you go:
    http://www.mie.ie/Staff-Directory/Gilroy.aspx
    Just ring her and ask about the classes in Michael's. She organises them, even though it doesn't say Japanese on the page. Its hard to find the proper information, but thats definitely the person to contact.

• Advertisement

Here you go:
    http://www.mie.ie/Staff-Directory/Gilroy.aspx
    Just ring her and ask about the classes in Michael's. She organises them, even though it doesn't say Japanese on the page. Its hard to find the proper information, but thats definitely the person to contact.

Brilliant, thank you!
    Oh, or, arigatou. Yeah. I'm well on my way.

Dont blame me :) I didnt do the classes, I just know they were on in the school, (Turn up on a Saturday morning for debating, and you see a room full of scene kids :eek:)

Fad wrote: »
    (Turn up on a Saturday morning for debating, and you see a room full of scene kids :eek:)

Hah, I forgot about all those hardcore otaku ones. I'll be joining the class with a friend anyway, so I should be alright.

Hah, I forgot about all those hardcore otaku ones. I'll be joining the class with a friend anyway, so I should be alright.

I did that too, and to be honest I probably wouldn't have lasted the whole two years if I had gone alone! The teachers are good... but they really like games....and songs, the worst of which was titled "the adjective dance" (insert cringing emoticon here). The textbook is called nihongo kantan and is INCREDIBLY childlike. The whole thing is taught like a 1st year language, though the people are 17/18. Having said that, if you put in a little bit of work its very manageable. Its very tempting to leave it all pile up until the Friday night.
    Anyway, good luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TirnanOgNiamh

I know I'm probably a bit late here, but I'm starting Japanese in 5th year and I need to be in higher to get my 4 higher level subjects. Are the St Michael's classes still free? And if so where EXACTLY is St Michaels >.< I really want to go!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't drag up old threads.

http://www.stmichaelscollege.com/St.Michaels_College/Home.html

They are the ones to ask.

There are also a number of private individuals who offer Japanese classes and I'd be fairly sure St. Michael's is not the only place offering classes.
    Research and shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TirnanOgNiamh

Um, sorry I googled it and this was the only actually helpful thing that came up. Didn't mean to force anyone into giving help they didn't want to give. :S

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement