Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance - refused due to not in the country for 2 years

Options
  • 14-07-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Which is more or less of a risk or better to say when getting insurance?

Girlfriend is getting insurance on a car that I will be a named driver on. Is it better to be girlfriend/boyfriend or just friends? or does it have no bearing on the matter?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Try a couple of online quotes with the only difference being the relationship between the named drivers - its not difficult...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

They will just be interested in age, licence, occupation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

won't make the slightest difference. married or partner makes no difference either. Well not with Quinn Direct as I checked all options at my last renewal.
    more important is the fact you are a male named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It might matter if you were cohabiting, as you'd be more likely to share the car, thus reducing the potential amount of time you'd be likely to drive it.

In reality, it won't make too much difference, I'd imagine. But it's always better to be truthful with insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

agreed.
    I did try all the options out though. I reduced the value of the car. I changed the address. I put my partner on. I took her off. all of the changes did little more than 2 or 3% changes in the premium. mind you, the biggest drop came when I added my partner. I would never let her drive my car (:rolleyes:) but thanks to adding her my policy price dropped almost 30%. women eh? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks guys for that.

So the girlfriend rang up for quotes for herself and me as a named driver and companies are refusing to give a quote because she is not living here for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I had the same problem when I moved to Ireland for work 20months ago. A car was essential for my job, however a lot of the insurance companies would not touch me as I had not been resident in Ireland for 2years and if I did quote me, they were quoting what you would quote an 18yr old male driver (whereas I was a 28yr old female driver with 7years no claim bonus). It was INCREDIBLY frustrating! I ended up going through a broker - chill.ie I think they are called now. You will need to provide evidence from your previous insurance company of your no claims bonus. You will spend a lot of time on the phone to different companies but in the end someone will insure you, you just may end up paying a premium for it. My advice is to try the brokers as it will save you a lot of ringing around.

Advertisement