Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make my wordpress blog page wider?

• 14-07-2009 9:12pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since youtube has made the width of their videos a bit bigger, it has messed up my site. Can anyone tell me where in the code I need to look to increase the size of the template so I can widen the post part to accommodate the video's better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

A little CSS tweaking should do the job.
    Search for 540px and replace with 570px.
    To compensate for that, search for 420px and replace with 390px.

There may be other edits, but I think that'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Download the web developer tool bar for Firefox. Click on the CSS menu and select "View Style Information". Now just move the mouse around the page and the element you're hovering over will have a red box around it. Click on the content div that is too narrow and you will be shown the CSS style being applied to it, so then you just have to edit the CSS file accordingly.

You can probably find it manually as well, but if you're thinking of making more changes, it's worth while downloading this tool.

There's also a very good one for IE, and I think this one allows you to change style attributes on the fly (temporarily obviously) so you can see what they look like immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kdaly100

You could always change the YouTube embed code as well to make it fit into the site. Have you tried that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Exactly :D
    <object [B][U]width="560" height="340"[/U][/B]><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgxglQxMVEc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgxglQxMVEc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Change the boldened part!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kdaly100

Thanks Dave I was just being too lazy to put in an example - the joys of a forum approach. I have to change the width nearly every time with Youtube these days...

All the best

Kieran

• Advertisement
Advertisement