Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund Query

Options
  • 14-07-2009 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

My MIL bought a pair of shoes on sale in a shoe shop in Co Meath for a wedding.

She was told that as they were on sale she could only get a credit note.

They have not been worn and the 28 days is tomorrow.

She had told me she did not like them so we got another pair, I was under the impression she would get it refunded on the card, not a credit note for a shop that she does really go to anymore.

Anyway she has said that they told her she could only get a credit note and that this does not infringe on her statutory rights.

Is that to put delicately, spouting crap? I did not think it mattered if it was on sale or not.

I would love to have bought the second pair of shoes for her, but I am broke at the moment and she would find the cash far more useful then a credit note.

I know the shop have said this but does it mean anything?? Should she be able to get the refund on the card before 28 days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If she is returning them merely because she doesn't like them, then shop are well within their rights to give her store credit.

Her statutatory rights would not be affected if she was returning them because of a defect or a genuine reason for return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭decies

dudara wrote: »
    If she is returning them merely because she doesn't like them, then shop are well within their rights to give her store credit.

Her statutatory rights would not be affected if she was returning them because of a defect or a genuine reason for return.

I really dont understand anybody who doesn,t understand this by now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

She is returning the shoes as she was talked into them by her daughter and other DIL, who got her to buy a pair of high heels, which are really uncomfortable.

It sounds stupid but as this is her youngest daughter's wedding and she is in her 70's so these are really important shoes, ie: they need to be comfortable for her all day long and these first shoes just did not provide that.

Any suggestions of how this can be worded to try and get the refund on the card?

decies wrote: »

Ehhhm because I have never returned anything and my MIL who seems to know every trick in the book seems to have been railroaded into it.

But I do know things about other stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

She is returning the shoes as she was talked into them by her daughter and other DIL, who got her to buy a pair of high heels, which are really uncomfortable.

It sounds stupid but as this is her youngest daughter's wedding and she is in her 70's so these are really important shoes, ie: they need to be comfortable for her all day long and these first shoes just did not provide that.

Any suggestions of how this can be worded to try and get the refund on the card?

Get her to go into the store, ask to speak to the manager, and say this to the manager, but in a nice, polite manner. You never know what will happen, but at this stage, she's got nothing to lose.

• Advertisement

Dudara

Thanks so much for your help, we will give it a try.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

My MIL bought a pair of shoes on sale in a shoe shop in Co Meath for a wedding.

She was told that as they were on sale she could only get a credit note.

They have not been worn and the 28 days is tomorrow.

She had told me she did not like them so we got another pair, I was under the impression she would get it refunded on the card, not a credit note for a shop that she does really go to anymore.

Anyway she has said that they told her she could only get a credit note and that this does not infringe on her statutory rights.

Is that to put delicately, spouting crap? I did not think it mattered if it was on sale or not.

I would love to have bought the second pair of shoes for her, but I am broke at the moment and she would find the cash far more useful then a credit note.

I know the shop have said this but does it mean anything?? Should she be able to get the refund on the card before 28 days?

Shops can have their own Returns Policy more or less whatever suit them.
    The only thing that stands is that fact that if a product is faulty they must repair/replace/refund, or it doesn't perform as it was said to do... ie; Does what it says on the tin!

NO shop is required to have a 28 day returns policy. A lot of people just presume this is the norm as the majority of the larger high street stores usually have a very flexible Returns Policy, although they are not obliged by law to have one.

So whether something is bought "on sale" or otherwise it depends on the particular shops' policy.

As mentioned above you could ring and ask to speak to the owner or manager and explain your situation. I would say that you might get a credit note, but also if it is gone past the amount of days in their policy they do not have to do anything. Some shops can have a 7 day, 14 day or 28 day return/exchange policy.

If for instance the store has a 7 day return/exchange policy and it is beyond this time they do not have to do anything. But in my experience the majority of retailers would give a credit note in your situation.

Hope that makes it clearer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

In fairness, I only really know this because I read this forum a lot. I never did before here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    And well within their rights to give her no refund or credit note at all. Consider yourself very lucky to be getting the credit note offer.

Maybe somebody else going to the wedding could use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ecom

not a very helpful response.
    If everyone in the country understood all their consumer rights then there would be no need for groups such as 'The Consumer Association of Ireland'

As has already been stated they dont have to give a refund if the item was not faulty. However more consumer friendly stores (and I believe M&S do this) will give the money back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Trinny_Wicklow

ecom - I think you are onto something there!

The official line on this is:

Remember that you have no rights under consumer law if you simply change your mind and decide you don't want to keep the goods that you have bought.

However, some shops offer to accept returns of goods (with labels/packaging attached) and give you an exchange or refund within a certain amount of time after the purchase. This is shop policy and a gesture of goodwill and not a legal requirement on the shop.

from the NCA.

Advertisement