Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GHOST SLUGS!!

Options
  • 14-07-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

We have just found a huge amount of small, white slugs in our garden--- looked them up on Google and they are called white slugs. Tiny slugs with no eyes that prey on earth worms. According to the net they have just been discovered in Wales. Does anyone have any information on a PET FRIENDLY way of killing them? Or do you know if they are harmful to dogs? I'm afraid to let the dog out in the back in case he eats them..... They are disgusting little things! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've been using beer traps for slugs, pretty successful so far but it's a very small bed. Dogs and cats keep away, don't seem to like smell.
    Unless I leave them too long between cleaning, then older pup thinks its doggy cologne. :(

Not sure about those white ones, have some myself I think, about 10mm long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ameslum10

Thanks a million!.... I hate them! I heard beer worked on them alright. So how does a beer trap work???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Get yogurt pots or margarine tubs, sink til rim is level with ground, half to 3/4 fill with cheapest beer (or dregs from party cans) and cover with upturned flowerpot. I use a stone on top to stop the fury fools getting in and too keep rain out, also poke finger in under pot in 3 or 4 places to give opening for big suckers.

Thats great will try that. Thanks a million for the info!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Or if you're lazy, you can get them in B&Q. The mother has 2 in the garden, around her cabbage/lettuce/onion area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

another way is if you have millions is to sprinkle salt on them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

That'd wreck your plants though wouldn't it? If you left it out, rain'd leach it into the soil? I'm off to homebase on the weekend then declaring war. I've been picking them off til now but haven't been regular enough with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭keiran110

Slugs have to produce mucous (slime to move). For this reason they will travel on flat survaces. Uneven surfaces means they will have to produce more slime to move. Put broken egg shells, gravel or sand around your plants. When the slugs move over it they`l eventually get stranded, dry out and die.

Slugs also dont like copper , it electricutes them. Put copper strips around your plants to deter them. A one or two inch strip should be enough.

Slugs are attracted to the sweet scent of plants. This is why the beer attacts them them, its filled with sugar. Try cut a coke bottle in half and fill it with beer. Dig a little trench for the bottle of beer and place it in the ground so the slugs will fall into it.
    If you dont want to ruin your garden with a trench for a bottle, you really dont need to have the beer bottle at ground level. The slugs will find a way up eventually. It's just quicker the other way.

Good Luck

Ciaran

Great stuff. They are disgusting i cant stand them... and it actually is since we put new plants in the garden! They're really strange though tiny little white ones. Aparently these ones go after worms! so I read online We tried salty water and it didnt work will defo try the beer traps and copper though! Thanks all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the r.h.s. website has slug pellets (green party ones) for sale.:eek:

• Advertisement

green party slug pellets?! Epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

keiran110 wrote: »
    If you dont want to ruin your garden with a trench for a bottle, you really dont need to have the beer bottle at ground level. The slugs will find a way up eventually. It's just quicker the other way.

AFAIK - just above ground level is best. Because beetles that cannot climb eat slug & snail eggs could easily fall into beer traps at ground level. The snails will crawl their way into the traps.

hmm, makes sense! never really noticed any difference between ground level and non ground level though. i must start using the above ground level method good just for the sake of good practice. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

old boy wrote: »
    the r.h.s. website has slug pellets (green party ones) for sale.:eek:

this are pretty good. I've been using them this year both on the allotment and at home and have had great results. they are certified by the soil association, so thus alright for anyone going the organic route. initially I got a bit wierded out by the fact that they swell up huge when they're wet, but apparently that makes them more attractive to the slugs. and doesn't affect how they work.

Advertisement